The Dark Mod Forums

1.02 still produces quicksave crashes

Chiron

I was able to create several crashing quicksaves with "The Alchemist".

There is no console left after crashing (like it was with the idPVS::FreeCurrentPVS crash).

If a dev is interested I can upload a savegame.

There must be more reasons for this bug, because on my copy of TDM it was fixed by update 1.02 Ive tried both Alechemist and NHAT, everything is fine.

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Ok, found the issue. The stim timer list is not cleared when restarting the map - this has not been an issue so far, as no mission

was using a spiked ball and puts the player up for slaughter right at map start

To avoid the crash, it's best not to restart the mission after failing, but to restart the game.

I haven't played any Dark Mod for months - but the past few days I've gotten set up on my other Vista machine, downloaded with the updater Dark Mod 1.02, set all my settings, downloaded No Honor Among Thieves, and played for a few hours. Made a named save once, it works fine. Made quick saves all the time, they always worked fine. Over various gameplay sessions, quicksave would load fine.

But not now. I'm at the end of the first mission (I think it must be near the end) and now my quicksave won't load - always makes Doom3 crash. The old named save still works, but even if I load that one first, then hit quickload, it will then crash. (the load progress bar gets about halfway or so)

How to diagnose? If I'm screwed that sucks because I really don't want to replay 3-4 hours of careful slow gameplay

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

As I recall from last night - I'm pretty sure it did indeed crash when I did the quicksave, and that's why I finally called it a night and planned to play again today (it was very late and I was very tired). And it's entirely possible that guards may have been suspicious/alerted, but I'm quite sure I quicksaved and quickloaded multiple times before this when they were suspicious/alerted

oops, I already restarted and quicksaved over it.

I did notice that the good save was about 40mb and the new good quicksaves are also about 40mb but the bad quicksave was only about 6mb.

If it happens again I'll copy the bad save file and let you know

When it's crashing during the actual save process, there's probably not much I can do anyway. I get the most out of savegames that are crashing during or right after load - because then I can spot where things are wrong in the code.

Likely not the AI alert crash. I just tried quick save/loads at a bunch of different awares and actions (unaware, suspicious, searching, chasing, throwing stones, stones impacting, player mantling, jumping, falling...) for a small handful of simultaneous AI with not a single crash (current SVN).

• 1 month later...

Minor bump, but I'm getting crashes when performing quicksaves in a number of missions, which then can't be loaded. It's a real shame as I'm finding myself stopping playing that FM at that point, as I don't want to have to restart (and "full" saves break the immersion!).

Minor bump, but I'm getting crashes when performing quicksaves in a number of missions, which then can't be loaded. It's a real shame as I'm finding myself stopping playing that FM at that point, as I don't want to have to restart (and "full" saves break the immersion!).

Do you remember in which situations it crashes?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Do you remember in which situations it crashes?

I've been watching for patterns and haven't found one. Alert guards, non-alert guards, etc - can't see any trend. However I have noticed that some FMs appear to be more susceptible than others; Thieves Den 1 crashed fairly quickly, NHAT after an hour or so. RttC didn't crash at all despite frequent quicksaving. As with all these things, lack of data points makes it hard to determine if this is related.

I can only suggest run tdm_update again and make sure it says it is complete. If you have only a partial update there can be conflict. BTW if it does download anything new then it may be you cannot reload any previous game saves.