The Dark Mod Forums

Sotha's mapping thread

Sotha

Thanks for helping!

The two way switch-thing won't help, since the player can accidentally stand in the trigger volume.

Write two simple script functions, one for turning it off and one for turning it on, then target them from trigger_multiples places so that the off is triggered when the player comes from one end and the on is triggered when he comes the other way.

I wish I could write scripts, but my skills in this is very low. Is there a command like thunder_trigger_timer.turnOff and *.turnOn

How about these location settings? would they do what you want?

http://modetwo.net/d...cation_Settings

Location setting have this call_on_entry, things which might work if I knew how to script. If I had call_on_entry AND call_on_exit a script which simply triggers the thunder_timer, it would work: it gets triggered on entry and exit only. Anyone know which script command is used for triggering things? entityname.trigger($player)? Just my guess when I checked the cutscenes wiki.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I googled around for triggering things from a script and found a command sys.trigger, which I tried.

void thunder_switch()
{
sys.println("thunder_switch running..");
sys.trigger( $timer_thunder2 );
}

void main()
{
}

I get an error message when I reach the location which should call the script:

script/tdm_location_settings.script(283): Thread 'atdm_location_settings_1': Function 'thunder_switch' has the wrong number of parameters for 'callGlobalFunction'

I've no idea what that means, but I think I am very close to the solution...

EDIT: there is something weird here:

Even if I simplify the script into:

void thunder_switch()
{

}

void main()
{
}

It will still give the same error.

Clipper

Looks like the script calling from info_location is different to normal script calling from atdm:target_callscriptfunction.

For the above simple script a lever targetting a atdm:target_callscriptfunction which calls the script works just fine.

But it does not work when it gets called by the info_location -entity.

Puzzling.

Clipper

Hooray! Got it to work!

I used info_location with call_on_entry and call_on_exit, which both call the shown script:

void thunder_switch(entity old_zone)
{
}

void main()
{
}

It started working when I added the mysterious mantra "entity old_zone". Now the thing works beautifully and the thunder sound gets disabled and enabled at my will, just the way I wanted and very reliably.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction, Fids and Tels!:wub:

Clipper

• 2 weeks later...

Damn.. This is probably really elementary, but I can't get it to work:

I want a a custom moveable object which consists of a bunch of func_static models.

• I have bunched the func_statics together
  • I have created a simple brush with collision-texture and made it into an entity atdm:moveable_small_base.
  • I have used bind on each func_statics to get them bound on the collision brush.

Everything works beautifully, and I can frob the bunch of items in game and carry it around. But the object does not frob highlight!

How do I get it do so?

I tried to give the collision brush spawnargs frob_peer_1 - frob_peer_3 which target the bunched objects but there is no highlighting. I even tried if simple "frob_peer targetname" gets one of the objects to hightlight but no.

Any ideas?

Clipper

Hooray! Got it to work!

I used info_location with call_on_entry and call_on_exit, which both call the shown script:

void thunder_switch(entity old_zone)
{
}

void main()
{
}

It started working when I added the mysterious mantra "entity old_zone". Now the thing works beautifully and the thunder sound gets disabled and enabled at my will, just the way I wanted and very reliably.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction, Fids and Tels!:wub:

Do you think we should have a short wiki article that describes this as example?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Do you think we should have a short wiki article that describes this as example?

Sure I'll add this to the location_settings wiki on the example part.

EDIT: done.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings#Example_script_to_turn_entities_on.2Foff_when_player_enters_a_location

Clipper

I've had some mapping time recently and that shows.

General progress breakdown assessment:

Basic geometry: 95%

Details: 20%

Plot(planned): 99%

Plot(implemented): 5%

Entities: 5%

7269185.png

Damn these postprocess candies make things look pretty.

Clipper

I've had some mapping time recently and that shows.

General progress breakdown assessment:

Basic geometry: 95%

Details: 20%

Plot(planned): 99%

Plot(implemented): 5%

Entities: 5%

Damn these postprocess candies make things look pretty.

Oh yeah love it :wub: Love the reflection of light on the floor, and the ceiling. gorgeous!

Wish I had some spare time to map...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This also includes a good example of the hanging oil lamp. Was it always that black before 1.03? I'm noticing it in my own FM whether brass or that flaky paint one. I only started seeing this 1.03.

Mmmm.... since I've still got a 1.02 install why don't I go and have a look I ask myself. :rolleyes:

This also includes a good example of the hanging oil lamp. Was it always that black before 1.03?

I'd say that it's black because there is no light shining on that side, except the ambient one. Postprocessing does make things look a bit more dark.

Clipper

FM Author's Self-assessment v1.18, I'd imagine.

Yep. I've got a perfect grasp what are my mission dimensions in the fields listed. I am simply estimating roughly how far I am from those targets and how much work remains in each field. The benefit of having these targets is that I won't get stuck in a planless limbo where new areas are added infinitely, causing the mission to lose its focus. This is a mistake which is surprisingly easy to make even by experienced mappers.

I just wish it were used by all the FM authors and incorporated into this here thinga mudge igg

I feel the wiki is sorta official. The progress data are just educated estimates and not official that way. Given the non-regular mapping time, the progress data cannot even be used to estimate how long it takes for the mission to come out: mission may reach 99% ready state and be stuck in that state for months. Therefore this kind of unofficial side mention in my mapping thread is enough. And it also helps me to remember my goals and it motivates me when I see the progress I make. A side benefit is that interested people see what's going on. When I start putting objective entitywork, release is very close.

Clipper

The thing about the Upcoming FM wiki is it's a great thing to have... but it doesn't really say much as far as progress or anything for that matter.

All I'm saying is it would be really cool if those categories in which you have your estimations estimating were a sort of standardized thing (and, really, they are somewhat because I've seen quite similar rundowns from various FMAs over the years...) and incorporated into the wiki.

Maybe it would, along with being much more informative, give all the authors someplace to document and likewise benefit from this self-assessment as it does for you?

O & BTW that is a very, very nice screenshot.

I'll tell you right now, and I've said it before: your missions are plenty beautiful.

Edited by Aprilsister

How odd, I just finsihed new normalmaps for the three largest materials there... what is this sorcery?

Never underestimate the power of the orbital mind-control lasers...

So this means that there is extra beauty for this mission upon next texture update? Nice.

Clipper

I've been playing with conversations.

Here is a question for ye:

I can easily use conversation system to have an AI to walk to a certain position. When the conversation ends, the AI walks back to the place he was in before the conversation started. This occurs even if the AI has no targets in the first place.

Is there a way to override the AI's return trip, so that the AI stays right there where he was when the conversation ended? I know I can do it so that I remove the AI and teleport in a new, exactly the same kind. But that is not the most elaborate solution, don't you think?

Also, did you guys know that if I target a triggerable S&R modified func_static from the conversation system, the entity won't fire! I have to target a trigger_once from the conversation and put that trigger_once to trigger the S&R entity. It took me quite a while to realize this as I've gotten used to that trigger-sensitive S&R func_statics can always targetted from entities. But not from within the conversation system. A bit odd and unintuitive, thinks I.

Clipper