The Dark Mod Forums

Sotha's mapping thread

Sotha

I'm experimenting all kinds of weird stuff. Is there a way to make AI completely non-solid? Player walks through, moveables fly through them and so forth?

Scratch this. I got an even better weird stuff going on.. ^_^

All hail the divine versatility of TDM mapping & scripting!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Do you want to enlighten us. :rolleyes:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Do you want to enlighten us. :rolleyes:

Your curiosity is a merit I would like to reward, but... No, it is still too early and I'm not even sure if this idea will be final for the contest mission.

However, I've started to spend more time with mapping now and the basic geometry is almost finished. Griming and decorating things up should not take very long due to the modular principle. The stuff what will take a lot of time is the scripting and stuff: the preliminary ideas involve a lot of non-standard stuff for TDM. I'm probably way too ambitious, but nowadays as the geometry building is trouble-free, the challenge lies in other facets of mapping: scripts, plot, choices, etc.

Clipper

If you need help with scripting, you can PM me. If the idea is of some "generic use", maybe I can wrap it into a re-usable script object and that can be shared.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If you need help with scripting, you can PM me. If the idea is of some "generic use", maybe I can wrap it into a re-usable script object and that can be shared.

Thanks man!

Actually... There is one thing. I'm making a next generation loot bag (http://wiki.thedarkm...Loot#Loot_Cache). It is "next gen" because I'm spawning the new objects with sys.spawn(dingus) and teleporting them. Is there a way to teleport an object into the grabber? Call a script. Script sys.spawns objects. Script makes new moveable object appears in player's hands.

Clipper

Thanks man!

Actually... There is one thing. I'm making a next generation loot bag (http://wiki.thedarkm...Loot#Loot_Cache). It is "next gen" because I'm spawning the new objects with sys.spawn(dingus) and teleporting them. Is there a way to teleport an object into the grabber? Call a script. Script sys.spawns objects. Script makes new moveable object appears in player's hands.

te@te:~/.doom3/darkmod_org$ ack -A5 grab script/tdm_events.script
* Forces the player to hold an entity (e.g. puts it into the grabber).
* Drops whatever is in the player's hands if $null is passed to it.
* Returns 1 if successful, 0 if not.
*/
scriptEvent float			   holdEntity(entity entity);

Edit: Pressed Post to early :ph34r:

This could be a generic scripting object you put on any func_static and place spanwargs with:

"loot_spawn" "atdm:loot_blahfusel"
"loot_spawn_chance" "0.1" // 10 frobs and you get about 1 of these
"loot_spawn_1" "atdm:loot_blahsuperfusel"
"loot_spawn_chance_1" "0.2" // 10 frobs and you get about 2 of these
"frob_count" "2" // player can frob bag 2 times
"remove_on_empty" "name of attached entity that should be removed when the loot cache is empty"

etc. The script object then would be called on every frob and do whatever is nec. to give the player the items and then "empty the bag" so to speak.

Then you can simply place one of these in, fiddle with the spawnargs until you are happy and are good to go.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=TDM_Script_Reference#Events_by_Spawnclass_.2F_Entity_Type

The lower part of the list is sorted by Entities. Everything that has to do with the player belongs to idPlayer (like the above function). AI is found under idAI. Even if you're not familiar with scripting you can take a look at this list and the explanations for the functions to get an basic idea of what may be possible and what not.

It's called "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" and a business illness for Looters all around the world. :D

To give you a more serious answer: If you get everything at once you may not notice what exactly you've gotten.

@ Sotha: Didn't you had a inventory bag in The Phrase Book? Well, if you want to reuse such a thing with a douzen (12, don't know how to spell that damn word) of stuff in it, it may be a better idea to give the player everything at once and make a pop-up note of what he got (like the little textes in the upper left corner in the training mission).

@ Tels: Random loot on frobbing, gives me a nice idea for the contest :D . Something tells me that everything that comes up on contest will get usual in a year or so. :smile:

• 1 year later...

I was asked to share the skybox test map. (I mean this one: http://forums.thedar...post__p__348439)

It is attached to this mail. Just remove the .txt extension and browse away!

In the west is the main area. In east, in the void, is the real size skybox geometry. I moved it into the void after clipping it off.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't supply the skybox model. You can make it yourself: just select the skybox geometry and turn it into ASE. There might be a black box indicating missing assets in the skybox room, too. Just remove it.

moving_skybox.map.txt

• Like 1

Clipper

I'm imagining the scene from X-Men 2 where the girl screams and phases through the bed. Maybe you could just work it into a supernatural narrative.

;-)

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Tested my RITs today. I have basically two: idle RITs, and then the alert RITs. Not for every, AI but like I said previously, causing an alert makes AI man choke off points making the mission more interesting and challenging.

Testing the RITS was easy. Start map, leave the computer and let the simulation run. Come back and see if someone is stuck.

When nobody was stuck, I then alerted two non-combatants and left the computer again. When I came back, everyone was alert, wielding swords and at their high-alert posts. Lookin' good.

On non-combatants.

Armed AI are the bread and butter in stealth games. However, the mapper should never underestimate the invisible strength of the unarmed AI.

Armed guards are usually a localized force: they have their narrow area they are guarding. Noncombatants, on the other hand, can realistically roam the premises completely freely. Make them visit every room, randomly with RITs. That way noncombatants constantly look for the player, poorly hidden bodies, weapons and bloodstains. They are the mapper's messengers: when the player has been discovered, servant girls and boys carry on the messages forward: soon all the guards know about the intruder.

Noncombatants are also morally difficult obstacle for the player: they flee and are difficult to catch. Killing an innocent unarmed person should be a tough decision. Also they may be protected by "don't hurt the innocent" objectives at higher difficulties.

Make sure noncombatants have proper flee_points, preferrably in rooms with armed guards that expand their patrol routes if they are alerted. Using the alert_idle_only and idle_only spawnargs, the mapper can really make their mission come alive, when AI really react properly to detected intruders in their premises. Nobody should be staying in their beds when the player has been detected and everyone should have a task to do. Sleeping/eating/card playing AI is a reserve that gets summoned to duty when the player has been discovered.

Yep, people who always load a save game when they are discovered are really losing a whole level of complexity and challenge.

• Like 1

Clipper

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

Goldwell was interested in a pipe smoking animation I made long ago, so I dug it out from my hard drive and wanted to share it with everybody.

You can get the basic files from here and it comes with a test map. You might want to make a custom entity for the smoker: this package simply overrides the tdm_ai_guard_proguard_devel.def. You can examine custom_anim_ai.def in ulysses_genesis.pk4 to learn how to do this.

Files are here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwR0ORZU5sracHJfWVJ2RTlPMTQ/view?usp=sharing

This is what it looks like:

Enjoy!

Please note: I do not encourage people to inhale smoke from any source. It is absurd. Do not do it. It kills you. Thank you!

• Like 3

Clipper