The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Radiant in Windows 7

bambini

I was quite happy playing Dark Radiant on Windows 7 Release Candidate, by running it in "Windows XP Compatability Mode". Without it, DR was jerky, slow, often unresponsive and crashed a fair few times.

Unfortunately, the RC has come to an end and I've had to install a full copy of W7 (I've gone with Ultimate edition). All of a sudden, I can't get XP compatability mode for Dark Radiant. I can get it for other programs, but for some reason DR's compatability options only go back as far as Vista. This basically renders DR as unplayable on my PC. sad.gif

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Will a Windows 7 version DR be released?

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

I'm using Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate) just fine here.

i can confirm that.

but what exactly is the problem? does DR even refuse to load/run? or DOES it load/run but having problems then (like f.e. the grid-/3D-view looks emtpy even after placing objects and brushes)?

however, here are 2 different ideas in terms of what MIGHT be wrong:

1. you use windows 32bit but installed DR 64bit version (or you use windows 64bit but installed DR 32bit version)

2. you did not disable windows aero-design

Edited by Darkman

Says "playing" DR... are you talking about DR or TDM? Just probably need to clear that up...

I'm talking DR - mapping is just so much fun it feels like playing ;)

but what exactly is the problem? does DR even refuse to load/run? or DOES it load/run but having problems then (like f.e. the grid-/3D-view looks emtpy even after placing objects and brushes)?

The latter. DR runs, but then the views (orth and camera) look empty ( just enpty whiteness). After a good few minutes or a bit of tinkering I might get something, but then it's very slow and jerky (e.g. if I zoom in on orthographic I get about 30 secs of lag). Makes the whole thing unusable.

Disable Aero? How would I do that? I've found this, but this seems quite long-winded:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/

Any way of asking W7 to just disable it automatically when DR runs?

Incidentally, is it a DR compatability thing with Aero? I have a beast of a graphics card, so aero shouldn't otherwise slwo me down.

It's interesting that others can run DR just fine on W7. I've never been able to run it OK on W7, only through XP compatability mode. I'll double check that I've got the x64 version installed. Don't suppose that is the issue though. Such a schoolboy error to make wacko.gif

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Well, if you're running Win 7 64, you should be able to run 32 or 64 bit DR. The latest versions of DR should offer an option in the menu to disable Aero when DR starts up. DR and Aero don't mix.

Gotcha. I'll take a look when I get home (stupid work, getting in the way of my mapping...)

Gotcha. I'll take a look when I get home (stupid work, getting in the way of my mapping...)

hehe, i know what you mean! for the same reason, my mapping progress is even reduced to zero at the moment...

however, your further descriptions of the problem do exactly point to the "aero-issue", change that and DR should run fine. anyway, let us know then, whether this problem is really solved smile.gif

let us know then, whether this problem is really solved smile.gif

Fixed! Stupid Aero. DR now runs like a dream. For those who have a similar problem, you'll need to look at options>compatability and then check the box that says "disable dektop composition". I think that's what it says anyway. I'm having to type this post from memory, because, once again, I'm at work :(