The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Radiant camera views?

KaiserJohan

Hello,

I've done some building with DromED and Half life SDK, and I love dark mod so I thought I should try dark radiant.

Now it's just one thing that really bothers me -- for some reason it dosn't seem to come with top, side and front views. All I have is 3D view in upper-left (I suppose it is for 3D view) and then just one big view of co-ordinates? I expected there to be 3 different windows like DromED and Hammer. Surely I did something wrong?

Cheers

Hey there,

If you wish to adjust the window layout try going to the menu bar at the top then :

View -> Window Layout -> Split pane (for example)

That what you were looking for? I think for DR that the "Embedded" style is the best for starting out as it has the entity and texture window easily accessible in the tabs.

I have a follow-up question. On the 3d view, it's always black, prolly because im out of bounds. Is there are way to center the camera? I assume there's an option for it but I cannot find it. Also do you have do 'activate' the 3D view to see stuff?

Also how do you see where the 3D camera is on for example, the top view? I'm used to an 'arrow' or indicator showing where the 3d camera is

This post contains stuff that I found tricky at first, in a little task of sorts.:

In the ortho views (x/y or "the grid"), the camera is shown as a blue diamond shape with a "V" shape extending from it, pointing in the direction of the camera's view.

To use the camera to look around you right click inside the camera view and use it as one expects, right clicking again will return your mouse pointer. By default the ortho view does not update when you move the camera view around (the "V" wont visibly move), so clicking normally in the ortho view will update it and you will notice it moving around (arrow keys to move it around)

It takes a while to adjust to the scale of things, you most likely cant see anything because the camera will be inside the brush you make at the origin. Lets play around with some other things to better understand scale and looking around :

1. right click in the ortho view and "create entity"
  2. single click the "darkmod" folder to select it
  3. hold down shift and hit your "right arrow" key - this should expand everything in a tree
  4. type in "builder" - it should now search through the list for it, pressing down will skip through matches
  5. select and spawn a builder guard.

Use the camera to try find him (if you are having a hard time, make sure to disable "cubic clip" on the camera, it is the strange grey/white/blue rectangle icon next to the "XYZ" under the menu bar).

Using ctrl+tab swap through the orientation of the ortho grid, notice that the set of axis in the top left of the ortho view changes.

Select the builder guard and delete him with backspace once you are done :)

Thanks, it worked out nicely.

However, I am troubled by the 3D view, that it dosn't update untill you click in the window. Is there any way to fix this, to make it update in realtime? Also, are the 3D movement controls disabled unless you right click in the window? It just seems horribly ineffective to me but there's probably some good work-around :P

Edited by KaiserJohan

The camera view should update in realtime. If you pull a brush across the camera's angle in orthoview then you should be able to see it in the camera view. There are also key presses to move the camera, but I think you would still need to right-click in the camera window first.

I would highly recommend the A-Z beginner's tutorial, which should take you through everything and get you used to DR. It helped me!

Edited by bambini

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Also, go to edit/preferences and make sure that "update views on camera movement" is unchecked under the orthoview.

Oh, and if you're using Vista or Windows 7 and have Aero Desktop enabled, make sure "Disable Windows Desktop Composition" is checked under compatibility.

Also, go to edit/preferences and make sure that "update views on camera movement" is unchecked under the orthoview.

Oh, and if you're using Vista or Windows 7 and have Aero Desktop enabled, make sure "Disable Windows Desktop Composition" is checked under compatibility.

Ah wonderfull, it was the Aero desktop which made movement so incredibly sluggish and delayed. With it disabled I can finally move around without 2-3 FPS :P

I'm beginning to get comfortable but now I have a new problem though.

When using the brush to create a block which will later be a room, even though I click outside the brush and drag it will just drag it along, it won't resize the brush as I want. Why is this? Some hidden option I accidently triggered?

EDIT:

Another q, is there a way to "snap selection for grid" on Models? Like doors for example, in order for them to fit nicely.

Edited by KaiserJohan