The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Special Delivery by Silencium18(2010/06/12)

Fidcal

Cool nice little straight mission!!

There could be one or two more secrets, but it's not necessary!

I loved that there is a music all over the map!!!

GREAT atmosphere Plus !!!

looked at the map via noclip. Good job - the city looks (without noclip) bigger as it is

Very nice, also, one of the plants in the early gardens has its polygons facing inwards, black on the outside and lighted on the inside. Mission is excellent in the dark mod, since

if you mantle with the c key , or drop down while crouched you are completely silent :ph34r:

I might have noted a graphical glitch;

the lamp (if thats what it is) above the desk in the office is pitch black, and is not affected by the (ill assume) light switch button in the same room.

I noticed that too.

I thought this was a very nice small mission. Get in, get what you need, and get out.

I had to dmap it on my machine because the first time I loaded it I received an error regarding AAS32_rat. Most of the AI were walking in circles and figure-8s, having difficulty finding their paths. After the dmap, all was well and AI moved about just fine.

I noticed one other small visual glitch with light going underneath a door frame which looked like it is not meeting the floor.

Upon inspection in DR, that brush does meet the floor. What would make the light show underneath it?

post-3285-127638095842_thumb.jpg

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Sometimes light leaks through brushes. It might be the light is noshadow or the brush or might be a moving flame torch light that is clipping through and the wall is perhaps not very thick. It's a good idea to mostly make walls thick - this also helps with frobbing stuff through the back of a wall.

I noticed one other small visual glitch with light going underneath a door frame which looked like it is not meeting the floor.

Upon inspection in DR, that brush does meet the floor. What would make the light show underneath it?

maybe it is a func_static set to no_shadow? Also, maybe it is not grid-snapped?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

An enjoyable, short mission. Texturing and lights are well implemented (finally an FM that has a heavy emphasis on technological elements!), plus I think the sounds are done very well in this one. The problems with geometry (some Z-fighting issues notwithstanding) might have been caused by not snapping to grid; they are mostly found next to doors but there are also terrain brushes with small gaps in between.

Something entertaining:

post-2023-127644994631_thumb.jpg

Probably a random glitch, since it did not show up the next time I loaded up the map.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Fun. I too liked the music/atmosphericzoundz.

1 special mention:

?spoiler?

Also I liked how in one of the storage rooms there were a couple of boards set just so; so that if you touched them they slowly slid odwn the wall and made a bit of noise. First time I'd noticed this in a mission -- though it mightn't have been the first set up as such. Just slow enough that you could watch but not be able to stop both of them :)

1 "complaint":

The candlehalf way up the ptrol route in the beginning... unfrobbable=unquenchable=random=irritating... unless I just couldn't position correctly, which is possible and if so sorry for the "complaint"...

1 life saving-but-ultimately-buggy-bug:

The room with 3 guards where the office key was... I saw later I was "meant" (and I do like to do this) to nail these boys with my purchased Gas Arrow from the vent, but... I instead came at them from the hall.

I could hear all 3, but have never had such a pure verification that the different voices do in fact indicate different AI in TDM. I learned my lesson on that front.

However, the reason I was doubly surprised is that I could see from the darkness crouching right to the shadow side of the open door 1 guy. I managed to get a broadhead off beautifully with a lean; no clank; no thunk; right through the narrow vantage... and into his skull. Knocking him off his feet and into the grating behind him. Dead.

This didn't bother the other 2 a whit.

2 more things I had the time to notice and note -- as this was such a fun and take-your-time mission:

I have trouble mounting ladders from above -- is it just me?

I seem to be able to move faster crouched and running with a shouldered body than standing and running with a shouldered body.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

You might try backing onto a ladder from above unless it's ahead of you on the other side eg, of a trapdoor. Either way you get onto the ladder facing it. I'm not certain this is essential but it might make it easier. A big factor is placement and FM makers should test over and over that it is easy to get on and off their ladders just as it would be in RL.

Do do the backing thing (trying at all speeds -- natural speed, slow, and even creeping speed -- centered-as-can-be) and still end up falling a good amount of the time. Sometimes, yeah, it s down to the placement, especially with as you mentioned those obtainable only from a sort of leap (trapdoors, sewer hatches), but sometimes even the "easiest" such as the catwalk one in this mission...

I just suck at it I guess. It's still one of the (maybe the only left over) frustrating things that Thief had too. At least the mantling is so beautifully implemented, just wish this was too.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Played through this FM just now.

Great stuff! More this kind of small, but fun and well made maps! I wished there was more readables to convey the agendas of the people living /working in the warehouse.

The mission was slightly tricky because of the electric lights which could not be turned off, but still quite enjoyable. And the metal surfaces kept me on my toes, literally. Good thing I bought the moss arrows.. I also liked the boards in the other room, which caused noise: a nice warning that the other guard is soon popping out the door.

I also noticed few z-fighting issues and light seeping under walls, but hey who cares as long it is only minor and the overall map performance is not degrading.

Great work!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Really good little mission, nice and hard patrol routes. I have missed some loot and I did not really get what the

button in the office did.

Thanks and congrats!

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

• 3 months later...

@Sonosuke

The button in the office was for the buggy light, that turned out to be pitch black.

Hey, this tiny cute mission gave me exactly what I needed: A nice, thievish and ATMOSPHERIC time of fun. :) I loved

the rats eating cheese, and loved even more that you could observe guard-routes through the vent-shaft up there, was really stealthish

and that nice music and ambiant-sounds, and they didn´t even disappear after quickload, heavenly... :wub:

I also noticed that odd un-frobable candle at the beginning-area, but I was in blackjack/kill-all-mode anyway... :ph34r:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't worked out how to get the loot that's ... hang on. When I return I can use arrows that I didn't have when I started, to get to it.

It seems that typing this out has enabled me to solve the problem, so here's hoping this helps others with a similar issue.

Edited by pmw57

• 1 year later...