The Dark Mod Forums

maddening resolution issue - no proper 1366x768

Komag

The issue is proper display of the 16x9 aspect ratios:

1280x720

1366x768

1920x1080

Okay, I'm going a little insane here.

I brought up our LCD TV from downstairs and hooked it up in place of my 1440x900 monitor

(the TV is 1366x768)

When I set Dark Mod to 1280x720 (just for kicks), it doesn't display correctly: it sets my desktop all the way up to 1920x1080 (which the TV will take and just downsample to its native res) and shows Dark Mod in the upper left corner area (in a "window" that turns out to be 1366x768)

Then when I set Dark Mod to 1366x768 (which is what I actually want) it will claim it's at 1366x768 but really it's running at 1280x720 (I'm sure of it - TV's set at 1:1 aspect ratio, no scaling involved, and I see the tell-tale border of a 720p image not scaled up to the TV's native 1366x768)

What gives?

If I set it to the full HD 1920x1080 it will run properly full screen (and my TV scales the image down to it's native 1366x768). But this is obviously not ideal

Why doesn't 1280x720 work right? Much more importantly, why does 1366x768 run at 1280x720?????

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I have strange issues like this from time to time when I mess with configs or swap to someone's FM that came with a bad config and wants to give me strange reses no matter what, anyway the easiest method I found that works for me :

•  
  • Set res to some lower res that isnt right - so some random low res.
  • Save/apply/whatever settings and exit then relaunch TDM
  • Set res correctly
  • Save settings and exit then relaunch TDM
  • Load a map - sometimes the menu looks low res but ingame it's fine

It is however 5am, I have a feeling you have another problem however... but I thought I'd share before I fall asleep...

Okay, after some more digging I've found something...

It seems part of this problem is a Dark Mod bug - 1280x720 is really 1366x768 and 1366x768 is really 1280x720.

So when I set to 1366x768 it is really set at 1280x720, just as I noticed.

When it is set at 1280x720 it is really set at 1366x768, but this is not working correctly for me!

My TV apparently can't properly accept 1366x768 through the VGA, even thought that's the TV's actual native resolution, but it CAN accept 1360x768 (very close), which is one of the detected options I get with the nVidia control panel.

I am able to force Dark Mod to display at 1360x768 by adding it to an autoexec.cfg file within Doom3\base, which reads:

seta r_customHeight "768"

seta r_customWidth "1360"

seta r_mode "-1"

seta r_aspectratio 2

seta g_fov "100"

so I guess my problem is basically as solved as it's going to get :)

I think I can see the problem, there seem to be some numbers flipped in the code. Can you open an issue, it will be fixed with the next version.

Is 1360x768 a wide-spread resolution or is this just a hack for your specific TV?

Google gives this many results:

"1366x768" - about 10 million

"1360x768" - about 1 million

So it's somewhat common (with LCD TVs at least from browsing some of the results).

I have to set the screen to 1:1 (centered) and I can see the 3 blank pixels on each side not being used

So, does it make sense for us to include 1360x768, next to 1366x768 - and to rish that people might pick the wrong one because the difference between 1366 and 1360 can be quickly overlooked?

So, does it make sense for us to include 1360x768, next to 1366x768 - and to rish that people might pick the wrong one because the difference between 1366 and 1360 can be quickly overlooked?

Hm, I think it still makes sense, because that actually can make it work for them (even if it takes a bit of their and our time handling the support request). OTOH, not including it means the user is screwed (hm, actually thats not true, they can always mangle the config file can't they?)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Can we include a caveat by the resolution - "Suitable for some LCD TV's", or something?

• 9 months later...

Google gives this many results:

"1366x768" - about 10 million

"1360x768" - about 1 million

So it's somewhat common (with LCD TVs at least from browsing some of the results).

I have to set the screen to 1:1 (centered) and I can see the 3 blank pixels on each side not being used

Just getting back to this:

Google gives about 2.4 million hits for 1360x768, and about 34 million hits for 1366x768. So how widespread is this really?

Edit: Here is an explanation:

http://hd.engadget.com/2006/04/21/whats-the-deal-with-1366-x-768/

Apparently all TVs have about 3% "Overscan" (they ignore and throw away a few extra pixels because they expect some extra information encoded in them), and the problem might only appear if:

* you have a TV (no a computer monitor)

* it cannot deal with a computer resolution by throwing away the extra pixels

* AND you cannot force it to be in monitor 1:1 pixel mapping mode

Also, Komag, are the blank pixels black? Or annoyingly-white?

I have now at least added an FAQ entry.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

They are properly black. By the way, I have made sure from day 1 to have overscan OFF and I've never had a reason to turn it on.

Not knowing much about overscan, if you would turn it on, would it then work?

In any event, the new "1360x768" resolution is now accessible from the menu via the new "16:9 TV" group setting, so this should all work in v1.06 :)