The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Great Summer Vertical FM Contest!

Fidcal

I'm currently making a mission, but I'd be happy to put it down and make something smaller so that I can finally release something. I could also take a break from getting too grandiose.

I don't mind about the restrictions. The small proposed space would be fun to work around, but perhaps not if you already have a city section in mind. Time to get creative I think.

I'll start on it when the rules are finalised.

I would like to participate in this contest, except that I don't know if I'll have internet access in 2 months, and more importantly, I'd have to learn the mysteries of building a skybox for the ideas floating in my head. put me down as a 'maybe'.

I can't wait to see what comes out of this contest. I won't enter because I've still got a mission of my own to finish.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Sign me up! I am not ready with my "main" map yet, but this can be fun smile.gif When it's a time restricted contest one may get more fire in the butt to really finish it off and get it released smile.gif

EDIT: Deleted some text...

Edited by Fieldmedic

Thanks guys - I think we may have enough to start within a week - we need to allow others to read this and some might only get to read it at the weekend (though not sure if they'd have time to build if they can only find time to read every few days!)

To get around the accessible footprint objections by some I propose to increase it to 1280 x 1280. The vertical vote should take care of anyone producing a normal FM anyway. I still think it is a big area and moving away from the original tower/shaft concept though. When voting you have to consider not only good climbing etc but good verticality. It is after all, a vertical contest.

I think it could be an interesting challenge to join this contest, so count me in!

I already have a pretty good idea (IMO), that should be possible within 1024^2, but if it ends up with 1280^2 that's cool too smile.gif

The footprint limitation was not meant to impose a restriction for its own sake but to encourage mappers to build upwards. Therefore I'm going to fix it at 1280 x 1280 accessible area. Obviously you do not need to fill that area so can build smaller. Personally I think it would be tough to fill 20 floors of 512 x 512 let alone 1280 x 1280! Of course I realize that can be staggered and any one floor might be very smalll. Anyway, remember, the vertical vote will be to vote on good use of height so that should be encouragement enough.

We have enough interested now that I think I will start this at the weekend tomorrow Saturday. I'll formally announce it then unless something comes up...;)

This contest is very appealing to me for a couple of reasons:

1. I intended to enter the DromEd vertical contest from earlier this year (last year??), but the size restrictions were too small to pull it off. I'd like to give it a shot in Dark Mod.

2. I keep getting pulled back into DromEd and I really want to leave that beast behind.

However, I am really growing tired of the fight over size restrictions. Having participated in three size-restricted contests over the years, I can tell you that it is an absolute headache to try to achieve your goals in what is inevitably too tight a space. I would suggest no size restrictions whatsoever. A Thief mission like Life of the Party was the quintessential vertical mission, yet had a sprawling horizontal aspect to it as well. I don't want to play 10 tower missions, but that's what we may very well end up with. Rather than force the author to create a mission within a pre-defined area, let the voters decide what is a good vertical mission and what is not.

The bottom line is that every size-restricted mission I have created ended up falling short of my expectations simply because of the restrictions and I don't want my first Dark Mod effort to be filled with anxiety about whether I can pull it off or not. Since most of us are in the learning curve, why not lift all restrictions?

Also, two months is nowhere near long enough for me to create my first Dark Mod mission. The first month alone will involve me fumbling about Dark Radiant and figuring out what can be done and what can't be done. I would need at least four months to feel comfortable entering.

Whatever the community decides on, I'll begin work on the mission soon, but it's unlikely that it will be completely in time and space for the contest if the current restrictions apply.

Good luck to all and thanks Fidcal, for getting this started!

-DS:12

• Like 2

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)

I hear what you're saying DeathStage_12 and I've mulled it over but... This actually is a tower/shaft contest not a rooftop contest. The 1280 x 1280 = over 100 x 100 dromed units plus UNLIMITED height plus UNLIMITED inaccessible space. Unless we now get a big input from others by tomorrow high noon saying no restrictions I'm sticking with 1280.

I'm torn about restrictions. On the one hand, they give focus, challenge, and demands. But on the other hand, why limit creativity, when time limit is enough restriction? A deadline for participation, that's it.

But on the other-other hand... maybe the focus and challenge and demands inspire and keep creativity alive? I definitely think a focus/theme is important. But non-time restrictions? Hmm...

Useless post!(?) -_-

I absolutely feel a small size restriction inspires very fun creativity. Some of my all-time favourite Dromed missions only existed because authors were forced to cram lots of gameplay into a small space in the contests.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I absolutely feel a small size restriction inspires very fun creativity. Some of my all-time favourite Dromed missions only existed because authors were forced to cram lots of gameplay into a small space in the contests.

Yeah...well, as host of numerous small FM contests, you know the value of keeping them small. I completely understand the advantages of the restrictions; I'm just concerned that I may not be able to pull it off. I'm more concerned about the time frame, actually. Then again, from what I've learned in a month or so with Dark Radiant, it seems that building a mission can be accomplished with significantly less pain than DromEd.

Bah! The worst that happens is I miss the deadline and release it later...

If those familiar with Dark Mod feel that 1280 x 1280 x infinity is good, then I'm confident it should be enough for me too.

-DS:12

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)

DromEd... I really want to leave that beast behind.

Music!

The worst that happens is I miss the deadline and release it later...

That's a good attitude. Don't get stressed whatever happens.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Hopefully that tower of his is just 1350x1350 units. ^_^

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

OK, build time officially starts now and ends at noon on 19th August. Anyone who cannot start for a week or two or is prevented from working in the middle please post so your time can be extended. The close date is fairly flexible but it is a summer contest! ;)