The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Great Summer Vertical FM Contest!

Fidcal

Oh man:(, a FM contest just when i have to work on other projects. Its likely i won't be able to build something before the deadline but with a little luck i can release a little mission after it

Good luck to all those involved in the contest!

agreed, i've been somewhat burned out with my 'epic' class mansion mission, and the change of pace is very invigorating. I've got a good looking beach with waves that come up on shore, very exciting, but I'm still struggling with how to fade the water into the skybox without just turning the ambient down to almost pitch black. I'd prefer something a little less dirty.

agreed, i've been somewhat burned out with my 'epic' class mansion mission, and the change of pace is very invigorating. I've got a good looking beach with waves that come up on shore, very exciting, but I'm still struggling with how to fade the water into the skybox without just turning the ambient down to almost pitch black. I'd prefer something a little less dirty.

Plant a fog light out over the water.

Another possibility (untried) is to curve the water away over a sloping horizon. If the water is swimmable then clip could stop the player going too far out. That first part would be a normal water brush. Beyond that maybe a curved patch with a water surface of the same as the water brush should match like any other texture. It won't be true water but I don't think you can tell by looking. No idea if this would look great or dreadful or somewhere in between. On second thoughts I'm not sure how this would look from a height. One of the skyboxes has an ocean floor but I don't know how it might match up.

minor problem with infinity pool: this is the VERTICAL contest. In my FM you'll be climbing up an oceanside cliffwall about a thousand feet high, then scale the outside wall of a fortress butted up on the cliff, and then scale the tallest tower of the fortress. As for the curved water patch, I think similar problem. Basically I need water that blends directly to the skybox color, vice versa, OR:

The Ultimate solution is foglight which I have been trying to fanagle since this projects conception, but I can't get it right, even after studying the tdm_fogs material file, Fidcals fog_light entities in Heart, and accompanying script file.

Pretty sure the whole problem is that TDM is treating foglights as regular lights unless you do some weird scripting magic, because the skybox and water cut right through it and show up plain as day.

I tried a foglight in a 3d skybox for my vert map (buildings on the ground and the horizon fading into the gray of the fog) and it worked great except that if you looked up, the gray sky blacked out. Look up a bit farther and the gray came back. The fog would just snap in and out of the scene, depending on which way I was looking. I couldn't figure out why it was doing that, so I eventually abandoned the idea

regarding the units, how are these shown in DR..? is the x & y units in orthoview..?

Wha... ! How have you been making these great FMs all this time without units! Yeah - in orthoview. Probably there is a preference setting or view menu setting to turn them off.

Wha... ! How have you been making these great FMs all this time without units! Yeah - in orthoview. Probably there is a preference setting or view menu setting to turn them off.

Haha, a real carpenter is solely dependent upon feeling :D

Bikerdude is the Quizat Haderach of TDM... :ph34r:

LOL classic - note quite though, I started out using the grid and door as my guide, as in the door is 6*12@grid 8 and I just built things that looked in proportion etc.. That said I am playing When Still: T2 andf Imn loving the huge spaces, so I may have to open up my closed-in style a little.

Edited by Bikerdude

so I may have to open up my closed-in style a little.

Now I really need to get a move on to secretly upgrade to that P4 3.4ghz :laugh:

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

LOL classic - note quite though, I started out using the grid and door as my guide, as in the door is 6*12@grid 8 and I just built things that looked in proportion etc.. That said I am playing When Still: T2 andf Imn loving the huge spaces, so I may have to open up my closed-in style a little.

I'm also mostly using doors and AI-people to get a sense on how big/small things will be :) Sometimes I can build a house in one session before testing in-game and if I have messed up I may be confronted by a HUGE house :D

I really don't have much time for anything, but I've started a little project for this contest, hope I can finish it up in time (I'll try keep it simple enough so that I do)

By the way, I guess it's not anonymous? I mean, people will just release their missions with the author known, and we'll just all be reasonable adults and not care who's who, right?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I'm in I guess(even though I'm late to the party lol), gotta relearn DR though so we'll see what I can come up with.

That's OK - if anyone needs a few days extra after the finish date they only need ask a few days before the end and say why. The important thing is to take approximately two months to build.

Ah! That should actually be the policy in future (to have the thing be anonymous, that is); IMO.

That could be a good idea to remove any voting bias...Not that I think that someone should receive a lower score than deserved because someone "doesn't like" him or her...

Fidcal?