The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)

Sotha

Fan Mission: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

beleagueredfencetitle.png

The Beleaguered Fence is a small/medium sized map in which aspiring thief Thomas Porter sets out to bust his fence out of the notorious Old Town Jail. Mission was created by me, Sotha and I wish to thank Melan, Baal and Bikerdude for playtesting.

During the recent heist at captain Knighton's manor (See mission The Knighton Manor) I made a stupid mistake. The alarm was sounded, and I made it out just before the guards caught me. I ran through the mazelike streets of The City and thought that I had escaped my pursuers.

I finally hid in the shop of my fence, Lark Butternose - the only man in the City I can really trust. Things calmed down and the next day I went out to spend some of the spoils of my hard work while Lark kept the shop open to sell other items I found. Later, when I returned to Lark's place, it was ransacked. My equipment, our loot and Lark were all gone.

I talked with the locals and learned that the city watch had raided the place just a few hours ago, confiscated everything, arrested Lark and dragged him to the notorious Old Town Jail. It turned out captain Knighton, the one whose manor I robbed, took the thing very personally and swore to apprehend and execute everyone involved in the heist.

And now they have Lark. They will probably interrogate him and learn about me. I have enough problems already and I do not need a powerful revenge-seeking watch captain at my heels.

I think now is the time for me and Lark to go our separate ways. Our agreement was quite profitable for both of us but now it needs to end. But only after I bust Lark out of the Old Town Jail. I owe him that much. And more importantly, it would be better if captain Knighton never learned who really stole his valuables.

For story oriented players, be sure to check your inventory for Thomas' journal for more background.

LINKs:

Use the ingame downloader to get it.

Enjoy! And please let me know what you think!

• Like 4

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks, man! Just d/l'ed it, can't wait to give it a try.  ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Need help in the cellblock.....

Hint on opening the second door down below, cannot figure out what to put in the bowl. Read the log and got the first door opened.

Read the log more carefully. The bowl statue has nothing to do with the entrance. Look around near the guardians

Clipper

2 (and a two thirds of) questions:

Are there the 2 other pages of the inspectors report to be found in-game? Is the captain´s diary a readable book, unlike that one on his table? And finally- why the holy water if (i couldnt find) no undead?

Much thankful in advance!

1) Unfortunately not, now I realize it would have been cool.

2) Yes, the captains diary is a readable.

3) Well, some people need holy water for their daily superstitious lives.. Yep, a bottle of holy water never did any harm to anyone.. wink.gif

Clipper

1) Unfortunately not, now I realize it would have been cool.

2) Yes, the captains diary is a readable.

3) Well, some people need holy water for their daily superstitious lives.. Yep, a bottle of holy water never did any harm to anyone.. wink.gif

On second thought... I'll take that

holy water bottles.. just (unfortunately) found what i couldnt find before =*

Shame i couldnt keep my

fire arrows

to put them to the best of their use!

Not sure if I missed something but took me 50 minutes to get inside without bj or water or alert.

Inside, meaning inside the jail from the streets? Yep, you've missed something.. Something on the streets, second floor of the jail building.. ;)

Clipper

Damn I checked all around

those windows in the start side street and roped up one place but couldn't see anything. They look solid windows. I checked the journal and map for the way to the street but figured that was to exit later. If it's past the front entrance then I never could get past there without water.

I'll check again for interest but I'm in now anyway. :)

I need my summertime gamma settings with this. I had tried to climb that

drainpipe but for some reason I then gave up because I couldn't see wood in the dark; I could barely see a window. Dunno why I didn't try - maybe I didn't want to shoot a blind rope arrow.

Still ghosting - very good so far. Full of busy life and shadows just enough to hide in and look natural. Had to take chances here and there and scurry though fingers crossed, heart in mouth.

Great mission, I really enjoeyd it. Would be great to make a prequel to this mission, that could be ending with a player's chase across the City to Lark Butternose's hideout

I am really pleased that so many have enjoyed the mission!

I've actually been thinking of making a prequel, the heist at the captain Knighton's manor. So maybe later if I have the time....

Two questions:

Where is they key for the evidence vault? Apparently it was lost outside by an inspector, but I cannot find it !

And I need a hint concerning the Captain / his diary...where is it?

Yes, the evidence vault key has been lost by one of the inspectors. He mentions in his letter (check the trash bin at the inspectors office) the places he went before he realised it was gone. Check those places.. If you are unable to find the key, you can simply pick the lock. But that is risky because of the constant guard patrols and the electric light.

The diary is in the captains quarters. Hidden. I'm sure you'll find it if you search the room thoroughly.

Clipper

I'm stuck:

What exactly means "blessed by the builder"? I have tried drinking holy potions and grabbing the crystal, drinking and shooting water arrows at the crystal before grabbing it, but nothing works :unsure:

This is a really fun mission so far! Perfect level of difficulty for me, very challenging but the only quickloads I had to use was in the above part :)

@Sotha

Thanks for the hints.

I could swear I've already tried to lockpick that door. And I am not worried about patrols, I love my blackjack ;-)

And now I have the same problem as Diego. One time I managed to escape (almost dead), but I am sure that there is another way !

@Diego and Chiron

Maybe cryptic emphazising helps:

"The Crystal Lense, the ward against the Tormented, standeth between The Boiling Hell and The Heaven Crystal.

Pilgrim! Never touch the Lense itself lest a terrible fate devours thee! Only the Builder's blessing on the Heaven Crystal can keep the Tormented at bay."

Clipper