The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)

Sotha

Fan Mission: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Not sure if I'm stuck but I'll take a hint. ;)

Got Butternose stashed under the jail stair.

I found the jail keys after I got out so I lockpicked all of Jailblock A with 3 pins a door and nothing in them until Butternose! Then found Jailblock B which I didn't bother with except for the body disposal one. I think the jail doors could have been drastically reduced to many of the empty ones being open and one or two just a single lockpick pin. I felt obliged to lockpick every single one in case there was something important!

Can someone confirm there is nothing worth searching for in Jailblock B?

Ditto is the cave system for any other purpose than eye candy? It's glorious btw but I was hoping it would lead to a new 'Lost City' or something!

I found a passage from the jail booth but it led to a jammed door. Looking at the map that might lead to the evidence room. Can anyone confirm that door is supposed to be blocked?

I found an unmarked key (I think pickpocketed from the builder downstairs) but it doesn't fit the captain's door. I read a clue somewhere about a lost key but it was a static clue (bad!) so I can't remember precisely what it said - is the unmarked key and that the same?

I have only a rather small amount of the loot required so hope it's all in the captain's room and in the evidence room.

But where now? I think I have been everywhere except the captain's room and the evidence room.

Still ghosting except for a few snuffed candles which I could have managed without doing with hindsight.

@Sotha

This proves again that proper reading is essential to a Thief's business :blush:

I like this mission a lot, there are many ways to get things done. The readables add up to a nice atmosphere, and at least in one case leave you wanting more.

I also liked the fact that you put a shop in the beginning becausea shop is always kind of gamble (which I lost btw). It is also well build (or visportaled), I had no slowdowns at all. One critique: Too short :rolleyes:

And...

what was the "unmarked key" for?

@Fidcal

The cave system leads somwhere / the door can be opened.

The secret passage to the evidence room cannot be opened from that side.

You should try to find your luck upstairs in the two rooms

you haven't visited yet.

Edited by Chiron

what was the "unmarked key" for?

I'm glad you liked it!

The unmarked key is for the corpse disposal door. But it is easily pickable too. But finding the key rewards the player with a quick door opening.

@Fidcal

Can someone confirm there is nothing worth searching for in Jailblock B?

They are cells. Typically people do not get to take any interesting objects with them there, so no, nothing ground breaking.

Can anyone confirm that door is supposed to be blocked?

Yes it is supposed to be blocked.

I read a clue somewhere about a lost key but it was a static clue (bad!).

The clue is not static. The letter in which John rats Oliver to the captain is static as it doesen't contain significant info. The REAL clue is in the trash bin. But there is no forced keyhunt in this mission, since all doors are pickable. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Made a bit of a mess of it but finished in probably 4 to 5 hours. Didn't quite ghost it as I did a KO to get out and accidentally diverted guards away from me while I escaped! I played on Hard because I must have lantern, compass, and map. Never figured out that

cave cryptogram thing. I seem to recall a readable about that body disposal place

but can't remember where I seen it or if it would help with a clue.

A good stealth challenge and very few rooms where the AI didn't go so I was always having to watch my back. I got busted lots of times so had to hit quickload. It all looked good and

the caves

especially. Amazing work in just over a month!

Read the log more carefully. The bowl statue has nothing to do with the entrance. Look around near the guardians

Sorry, I'm still stuck at the same place as the previous appender on this topic.

I looked all around the guardians and found nothing useful. Also, I had exactly one fire arrow which I used for the first door (on the guardian to the right). Do I need a second fire arrow from somewhere?

Thanks

- prjames

Sorry, I'm still stuck at the same place as the previous appender on this topic.

I looked all around the guardians and found nothing useful. Also, I had exactly one fire arrow which I used for the first door (on the guardian to the right). Do I need a second fire arrow from somewhere?

Thanks

- prjames

nudge:

It's written in the captain's diary: They have to see the great *light* of justice (or something like that)

total spoiler:

Yes, you need to light those things they're holding. You can do that with a candle.. it's how I did it, because I didn't want to alert the whole place with an explosion

Just reading the last spoiler or two I see a reference to

the captain's diary. When I got in his room I expected to find something special so I thoroughly searched around everything several times even looking for little switches whatever. I checked every book many times but never found a readable. If this is the red book on his desk then it was unfrobable for me because I was puzzled and sort of expected it to be a readable. I tried it a dozen times blind frobbing (without a highlight) from different angles. Often the electric lamp lit up even when I wasn't looking at it so maybe that swamped the frob? I also blind-frobbed every likely place in the room especially around books but no luck.

Just reading the last spoiler or two I see a reference to

the captain's diary. When I got in his room I expected to find something special so I thoroughly searched around everything several times even looking for little switches whatever. I checked every book many times but never found a readable. If this is the red book on his desk then it was unfrobable for me because I was puzzled and sort of expected it to be a readable. I tried it a dozen times blind frobbing (without a highlight) from different angles. Often the electric lamp lit up even when I wasn't looking at it so maybe that swamped the frob? I also blind-frobbed every likely place in the room especially around books but no luck.

Fidcal, if you allow me so, id like to try giving a "smart-assed hint" (always wanted to do so!) -

The diary is another book, thats not visible, but it IS in the room. I also had trouble finding it - So heres my hint - "No one would ever expect an arrogant guy like Knighton to knee, specially in full visibility"

Awesome mission! I figured out how to get the diamond without being attacked.... missed a bit less than 300 loot on the first run through. I was going to play expert, but am addicted to KOs and didn't want to be limited to 2.

Complete and utter spoiler:

If you get behind the pedestal with the diamond, you can use a well-placed water arrow (no holy potion needed) to knock the diamond across toward the way you came in. Another water arrow or two can move it back to the first door where you can safely grab it and make your escape w/out the undead even seeing you ;)

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Complete and utter spoiler:

If you get behind the pedestal with the diamond, you can use a well-placed water arrow (no holy potion needed) to knock the diamond across toward the way you came in. Another water arrow or two can move it back to the first door where you can safely grab it and make your escape w/out the undead even seeing you ;)

Hahahaa! Note to self: never underestimate the cleverness of the player! :laugh:

Clipper

Thanks igor - this takes it to another level! I went back in after making Lark comfy in the haycart and virtually had a new mini FM to play. I played it straight and since most everyone was alert and standing in places impossible to get by in the light I felt happy to use some water arrows where needed.

I had previously moved that corner chair out to look behind it but standing up it looks like an empty corner so I had no reason to crouch. I think that would have been better with some small inconsequential thing down there to get the player to crouch and look - or even a tiny lever. It's a pity if any players miss it. Also maybe another clue that there is something hid in his room or why would anyone search it? (maybe there is and I forgot?) I searched previously very thoroughly. I dragged chairs around and stood on them to look on tops of wardrobes etc. but I didn't actually know there was anything to be found. If I had been certain I would have persisted. I came to the conclusion that the desk book was the diary and it's frob was broke so I gave up.

Even so I am not sure I would have worked out the Guardian torch thing without having accidentally seen a spoiler somewhere. Nor did I realise you can carry a candle down a rope! That is great! I lit both torches but I didn't check in between to see if one would do.

The chamber was awesome and a satisfying reward for my efforts. I guessed what the holy potions were for but deliberately saved and didn't use any to see what happened. Haha! Choice of death by lava or death by being ripped apart by zombies or both! mmmm...

Even after blessing the diamond it is awkward and I took hits but escaped by the skin of my teeth. And despite Pranqster's clever ruse I think I would have made the diamond static. It doesn't quite look right to me being able to knock it about so easily even if it kind of makes sense. I'd have put it in a mount of some kind to hold it.

I'm not sure this FM would have beaten Melan's Return to the City for visuals but it would have been close especially on gameplay and definitely would have been good enough to win a one-month contest. It felt actually as big as Builder's Influence but with tighter stealth gameplay. I got well over four hours real play. Very good FM.

Thanks igor - this takes it to another level! I went back in after making Lark comfy in the haycart and virtually had a new mini FM to play. I played it straight and since most everyone was alert and standing in places impossible to get by in the light I felt happy to use some water arrows where needed.

I had previously moved that corner chair out to look behind it but standing up it looks like an empty corner so I had no reason to crouch. I think that would have been better with some small inconsequential thing down there to get the player to crouch and look - or even a tiny lever. It's a pity if any players miss it. Also maybe another clue that there is something hid in his room or why would anyone search it? (maybe there is and I forgot?) I searched previously very thoroughly. I dragged chairs around and stood on them to look on tops of wardrobes etc. but I didn't actually know there was anything to be found. If I had been certain I would have persisted. I came to the conclusion that the desk book was the diary and it's frob was broke so I gave up.

Even so I am not sure I would have worked out the Guardian torch thing without having accidentally seen a spoiler somewhere. Nor did I realise you can carry a candle down a rope! That is great! I lit both torches but I didn't check in between to see if one would do.

The chamber was awesome and a satisfying reward for my efforts. I guessed what the holy potions were for but deliberately saved and didn't use any to see what happened. Haha! Choice of death by lava or death by being ripped apart by zombies or both! mmmm...

Even after blessing the diamond it is awkward and I took hits but escaped by the skin of my teeth. And despite Pranqster's clever ruse I think I would have made the diamond static. It doesn't quite look right to me being able to knock it about so easily even if it kind of makes sense. I'd have put it in a mount of some kind to hold it.

I think that would have been better with some small inconsequential thing down there to get the player to crouch and look - or even a tiny lever. It's a pity if any players miss it. Also maybe another clue that there is something hid in his room or why would anyone search it? (maybe there is and I forgot?)

You forgot. There is actually a clue pointing to the captains quarters. In the barracks there is a journal by one of the guards. But I have to admit that it is a STATIC clue. I'll do better next time, I promise. :blush:

But anyhow, the idea behind the gallery was to reward players who investigate their surroundings very carefully, so it was deliberate that the captains log could be missed if the player wasn't observant enough.

I'm not sure this FM would have beaten Melan's Return to the City for visuals but it would have been close especially on gameplay and definitely would have been good enough to win a one-month contest. It felt actually as big as Builder's Influence but with tighter stealth gameplay. I got well over four hours real play. Very good FM.

Thank you very much!:wub:

Clipper

Just finished.

Excellent! Excellent adventure-y think-y gameplay! As usual I went about things way off the "linear" path... but it did not fuck-up the flow, which speaks very well of an adventure-y type game.

And no crashes either. No one.

Did have a lot of trouble getting things to be frobbable. Maybe by design with pickpockets and such, but also with doors which was frustrating a bit... but only a bit compared to how well smoothly the rest of it all worked*. :D

ETA: *Still having the basic TDM issues as all of us are, I think: over-loud music; AI paths often making the AI look like AIdiots; Too many keys! ;)

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I think it would have, but that's the fate of early work - to be superseded.

Coincidentally, I will start building my second FM this weekend if all goes well. ^_^

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Ok, so how does one:

... bless the diamond?? The first time I tried I used a holy water arrow, but that only knocked it from the pedestal and the undead attacked when I picked it up. That gave me the idea of doing my water arrow move-the-gem technique which I described in my previous post.

PranQster:

shoot the ceiling gem

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Oh. I misunderstood that then.

I sprayed the diamond itself and it seemed to delay them enough for me to run by with just a few bruises. When I just grabbed it they came running up the ramp before I could get off so there was no hope.

Sounds then like I just got lucky. Note to self: must study clues more carefully.

Well, I have scoured the mission and am still missing somewhat close to 80 loot, maybe a bit less than that less now after snatching the torch-carrier's coin purse.

I have been through:

2 windows in buildings on the streets opposite of the city watch building and received loot from those.

Everyone inside the building has been knocked out except some of the prisoners.

I let 2 prisoners escape and they are now lying dead in the street with 3 city watch on permanent alert.

Since no patrols are happening inside the building anymore, I have been able to scour the place.

I also retrieved:

gems from skeleton eyes, but found nothing else in the cave area other than the big diamond.

I also managed to kill all undead using a special, patented technique :)

A curiosity:

After killing the undead (at the entrance by the first door), the inner door sealed itself again. I decided to re-light the 2 torches out front, but they needed to be extinguished first. After putting them both out with water arrows, I took a candle (which fell in water when I went down the rope) to light in the flaming bowl of the statue just past the first door. Turns out that the water arrows I used to put out the 2 torches had caused the second door to open again.

This makes me wonder if the torches will initially respond to water stim as well as fire... possibly they can both be triggered with water arrows instead of fire arrow/candle flame?

Edited by PranQster

I am guessing no because I think

the door is just most likely triggered from the flames being turned on or off not directly from the fire or water.

Correct. It is like Fidcal said.

Clipper