The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)

Sotha

Fan Mission: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Been everywhere but can't find

the undead with gem area

others mention in this thread. Can someone provide a clue please. By the way , has anyone else

found that a rope arrow is a lethal killer? With a normal arrow only a head shot ( sometimes difficult ) will do but a rope arrow seems to kill outright anywhere on the body.

Been everywhere but can't find

the undead with gem area

Try in the jail. If you've been everywhere there then you need a clue from a readable - see next spoiler

You need the captain's diary from his room. It's hard to find

Try in the jail. If you've been everywhere there then you need a clue from a readable - see next spoiler

You need the captain's diary from his room. It's hard to find

Thanks !

Well , couldn't find

the captain's diary

but on going back

to jailblock B ( I rushed around that bit before as I'd found the fence in A block)

I was able

to open the end cell with the unmarked key I'd found previously. Dropping down the hole there I found myself in a cave with bodies ( including a stone one?!) and crawling along the walkway with lava underneath didn't help as the entrance was blocked. Is this a dead end? Perhaps I should be looking elsewhere?

Edited by raymeld

@raymeld:

You really need to find the diary. Check the captains quarters very thoroughly. Check under some furniture.. There is a loose floor board

Ah ! All is explained , never thought of that one. Will check again. Thanks.

blush.gif I had a real "DOH" moment when

I was hunting and hunting for the captain's diary. I keft getting the floor board highlighted but it would not open. Finally highlighted standing farther back by the desk and it opened right up. I can only guess I must have been standing on it.

laugh.gif

Just finished . Another great mission and no problems encountered running it. Very enjoyable , 10/10 from me , many thanks Sotha.

Don't remind me - that ventilation grill is crap. :laugh: I never want to see that again! Fortunately the FM was good enough it didn't matter too much and it was a v. quick build so all is forgiven. Here's a quick grill I did yesterday which I thought was rough but yours takes the prize for crappiness! Maybe we should have a crappiest features contest. ;):laugh:

post-400-127787966084_thumb.jpg

Don't remind me - that ventilation grill is crap. :laugh: I never want to see that again! Fortunately the FM was good enough it didn't matter too much and it was a v. quick build so all is forgiven. Here's a quick grill I did yesterday which I thought was rough but yours takes the prize for crappiness! Maybe we should have a crappiest features contest. ;):laugh:

post-400-127787966084_thumb.jpg

Heh. That grill was still there? I got feedback on it and fixed it.. From the other side! :blush: This side I simply forgot.

I also vote for the crappiness contest, but maybe we should wait that there is a bit more FM's. Then have a tongue-in-cheek hunt for screenshots on crappy things in maps. :laugh: It would be beneficial as a lesson on how NOT to do things. Now the big problem is how to do this without making anyone angry..

I'd probably give some crappiness-votes for a few maps with insanely ambitious detail and open areas which results in bad performance on a quite new hardware. It's not all about graphics, but a delicate balance between graphics and smooth performance and this seems to be very easily forgotten by even the experienced mappers. I'm prone to think that experienced mappers actually stumble upon this more often, although they specifically should understand the harsh reality of performance vs. detail.

Somehow I tend to prefer frames-per-second over visual quality, as long as the visuals are not totally 'boxy' and the mission in itself isn't totally crap.

That's a really nice grill you have there, by the way!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

yes I've done that where I know I fixed something but it somehow is still there in the release.

I see things in my screenshot I didn't notice when I made it. But basically it probably just wants more tesselation or something. I think this is all I did but maybe there is a better way...

Create a cylinder for the outer size

Clone it and shrink to the inner size

Cap that inner one and give that the grill texture

Delete the top cap and the inner cylinder just leaving that cap

Thicken the outer one by the difference

Give it rust or something.

Delete the top hidden area.

It seems I'm too stupid for this objective:

"Get Lark out before he is interrogated !"

Where is Lark ? Cell Block A or B ?

Try looking around for more information. Most jails keep written records of inmates.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Not sure what if anything I was suppose to do with the light gem, I believe somebody mentioned shooting it?, but I put out all the torches, grabbed the diamond and hid until the dude with the sword went back down the ramp and when he was off in the corner I ran like hell.

Great mission Sotha! Thanks!

laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

had alot of fun on this one. Nicely designed and some cool effects and lighting.

Not going to finish tonight, have to go back to an earlier save.

I thought I needed to leave through the body waste system, so I took my buddy down there with me, now can't mantle back up top with him. Almost but it just wont let me.

---------

The only issue was when I let prisoners out of their cells. They immediately ran upstairs. I found them dead when looking for a candle later (ended up going to office upstairs).

I suppose the guards got set off by the prisoners, killed them and somehow the nobleman upstairs was set off, in a continual loop of 'help, someone's after me', his door was open (the guard lounge) and two guards were in the hall by him with weapons drawn, but frozen like statues (locked on full alert I assume).

The only way to make them snap out of it was to BJ the archer (his back to me, standing in his shadow). Then he would wake up and I could get away real quick. He'd start to search and the other guard would start a search too.

(I've got a gamesave of it)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm happy you had fun!

I thought I needed to leave through the body waste system, so I took my buddy down there with me, now can't mantle back up top with him. Almost but it just wont let me.

In the objectives it says where Lark should be taken.

But yes, it is

possible to get stuck if you drop the body in the underground tunnel. Should have put a mission failed objective if player does so.

The only issue was when I let prisoners out of their cells. They immediately ran upstairs. I found them dead when looking for a candle later (ended up going to office upstairs).

-Yes, the guards kill escaping prisoners.

I suppose the guards got set off by the prisoners, killed them and somehow the nobleman upstairs was set off, in a continual loop of 'help, someone's after me', his door was open (the guard lounge) and two guards were in the hall by him with weapons drawn, but frozen like statues (locked on full alert I assume).

The only way to make them snap out of it was to BJ the archer (his back to me, standing in his shadow). Then he would wake up and I could get away real quick. He'd start to search and the other guard would start a search too.

Sounds like an AI glitch. When encountering the escaping prisoners the guards should eliminate them as they are in a different team. After this, the AI should resume on normal patrol paths, but with swords drawn out.

Clipper

Hey Sotha, this FM was pretty neat, especially the optional objective. I played on difficult and I gotta say, this felt like one of the hardest FMs up until now gameplay wise. Very hard to sneak. This might have been so hard for me because I discovered my equipment very late in the end.

I was a little puzzled about how to open the door to the evidence room. I read something about a key being lost outside, but couldn't find it. In the end I discovered that I can pick the lock of the door. That was a bit frustrating and poses a small minus on my rating of this FM. Very subtle decals on the captains hiding place indicating that there is something there would also have been nice. There should always be some visual hint to hiding places like that in my opinion.

Anyway, congrats on this FM. Looking forward to your contest entry... :)

Hey Sotha, this FM was pretty neat, especially the optional objective. I played on difficult and I gotta say, this felt like one of the hardest FMs up until now gameplay wise. Very hard to sneak. This might have been so hard for me because I discovered my equipment very late in the end.

I was a little puzzled about how to open the door to the evidence room. I read something about a key being lost outside, but couldn't find it. In the end I discovered that I can pick the lock of the door. That was a bit frustrating and poses a small minus on my rating of this FM. Very subtle decals on the captains hiding place indicating that there is something there would also have been nice. There should always be some visual hint to hiding places like that in my opinion.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^_^

Nice suggestions. If the mission is a tad bit more difficult, surely beating the mission is more rewarding? Also if you play it on HARD difficulty, it should be.. well.. hard. ;) If it's too hard, then there are the more easier difficulty-level where you have plenty of money to get good equipment in the beginning.

My mapping philosophy is:

1) There will be no mission jamming hunts for keys in illogical places. Do not drag the player through the mission the way mapper intended. Let the player go where he/she wants.

2) All doors should be pickable, but having a key is a nice convenience and rewards the player with much easier and silent access.

In this mission the player gets to choose wheter to find the key or pick the lock. Picking the lock is very risky as there is the electric light and frequent patrols. Slipping in with the key is quick and easy.

Clipper

Just to be clear, my comments about difficulty were no criticism. I love a challenge! Although I have to say, that I had to quit TDM at one point out of frustration... :-)

I understand your philosophy and although it's not my preference in gaming, I accept it. (Well, I gotta accept it)