The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod on the Crysis engine?

Amita12

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be cool to see Dark Mod on the Crytech Engine?

Yes, there is plenty of gorgeousness possible and it's been demonstrated enough as is for my liking...

What's more there are fantastic gameplay mechanics! Which is what is by far the most important thing, IMONHO.

What's also more is that there is such wide-open potential for plugging in new assets to improve and build upon all of the above.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Hey I never meant to cause any furor. I love TDM as is! And I do feel that even without the Source Code things are bound to keep getting better.

With the Source Code TDM will likely exceed that screen-shot in no time.

But if ZeniMax does prevent Open Sourcing and you can barely install Doom 3 on a modern OS (Windows 9,10,etc?), someone will probably work up the motivation to start a project like this again. I'm not recruiting you guys to do it, some kids will probably have grown up by then and we'll have a new generation of Thief inspired fans. But I suspect that if someone else starts the work (and TDM wont play properly anymore) that one of you eye-pluckers would put your eyeballs back into their sockets and help the kids out :laugh:. (But you might wait until every last PC Hardware shop and eBay are out of functional PC hardware that can run Windows 8 or whatever OS is the last to run Doom 3 well :laugh:...)

As I said this is speculation for the far far future...

I should've replied to this thread in a more curt fashion like "Sure..., now get to work on that and see how it goes." But I was trying to keep an open mind and let the kid have some fun speculating.

I understand that the Crysis, or "whatever latest engine stuff" gets old so I'm sorry for prolonging the agony. When there are 100's of FMS to play some of these kids will wake up and realize why you shouldn't keep switching engines all the time. :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Excellent post by Melan. Threads suggesting (or even just 'dreaming about') an engine switch suck. One, it's not going to happen. Two, it's one of the main reasons things like DNF happen. Three, there's no need for it, and suggesting there is indicates an ignorance about what id tech 4 can do.

Moving to a newer yet in most ways comparable engine with a future that doesn't suggest open source would not be a boon. It would be a pointless waste of time and effort, things better spent on utilizing the actual platform properly.

Looking for an quick fix for your TDM desires? Learn to use id tech 4.

I would add that instead of the current Crytech, that instead it would probably be something like CryEngine 5 or whatever will shortly be available when Id Tech 4 no longer plays well in current OS's (again this is presuming that ZeniMax decides to prevent Open-Sourcing the engine).

I'll play along here for a few minutes and entertain the notion of an engine change. If it were to be done due to Zenimax not allowing the release of the source code, it wouldn't make any sense to switch to another closed source engine...especially a completely different platform like Crysis. No, if a switch was indeed required it would make the most sense to use an engine like "Xreal", which is an updated version of the Quake 3 Engine. Xreal supports pretty much all of the doom 3 and quake 3 material shaders, md5 animations...and more. Xreal also happens to use Dark Radiant as its level editor.

Having said that, I'm confident that Zenimax will allow the release of the D3 code.

If you're going for unrestrained wishing, I'd rather wish for it to go on the id5 engine, or for that matter, why not wish for it to be on id6, already in development? Maybe a number of things could carry over from id4, and hopefully they go open source someday too.

And the action movie. Definitely! :laugh:

One thing to notice is that id4 is still unique with its unified lighting system ... The Crysis engine doesn't have that; id5 doesn't have that (and probably id6 won't either). It gives us some problems on certain things (possibly fixable), but on the other hand it offers something special that will stick with TDM for the long run. Also the fact, mentioned a million times, id5 should be going open source, and that's worth its weight in gold over any other engine, even up-coming ones.

Edit: It would be cool to invest that energy in other pipe-dreams bringing id4 up to speed, that are at least on the borderlines of conceivable, like a new physics engine, multiplayer, and a standalone version.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Wow, guys, I love how people have put words into my mouth as if I was under appreciating the work that's already been done (and with hostility). I never said the words "I wish", I merely joked at the idea. I am not even implying that there is even a need for a swap of engines. Everyone seems to either be misreading my posts or not reading them completely and judging my viewpoint by the title of this thread.

As I've explicitly stated, on several posts, I KNOW how FAR-FETCHED it all is. I DO know the amount of time such projects take as I am well educated in the pipeline of the game industry. I am in school (a senior, now) for a bachelor's in animation, however I started out with a game art degree, learning how much work, time, and effort it takes to even produce a game. I've even partaken in projects that never got finished because of the amount of time it was taking to even get it all complete.

My original intention of creating this thread was NOT to incite chaos or hostility, it was a playful idea that I KNEW was FAR-FETCHED and utterly RIDICULOUS to even think about. I was hoping to read more laughter at the thought or at least playful comments, as is the usual case with Off-Topic threads. If I was serious about this whole idea, I would have posted it in a different place.

lol Fair enough to say that the thread wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but the original post doesn't come across as a light hearted joke. In the same vein, I don't think anyone is reacting with hostility, they're reacting with exhaustion. This type of thread has come up quite a few times over the years, so imagine how we feel when it comes up again.

Wow, guys, I love how people have put words into my mouth as if I was under appreciating the work that's already been done (and with hostility). I never said the words "I wish", I merely joked at the idea. I am not even implying that there is even a need for a swap of engines. Everyone seems to either be misreading my posts or not reading them completely and judging my viewpoint by the title of this thread.

As I've explicitly stated, on several posts, I KNOW how FAR-FETCHED it all is. I DO know the amount of time such projects take as I am well educated in the pipeline of the game industry. I am in school (a senior, now) for a bachelor's in animation, however I started out with a game art degree, learning how much work, time, and effort it takes to even produce a game. I've even partaken in projects that never got finished because of the amount of time it was taking to even get it all complete.

My original intention of creating this thread was NOT to incite chaos or hostility, it was a playful idea that I KNEW was FAR-FETCHED and utterly RIDICULOUS to even think about. I was hoping to read more laughter at the thought or at least playful comments, as is the usual case with Off-Topic threads. If I was serious about this whole idea, I would have posted it in a different place.

"New Engine" threads are just plain demoralizing.

I get myself into enough trouble speculating about ways to improve Id tech 4 so it doesn't beat my dinosaur CPU to a pulp. :)

I knew this was all silliness but I also know that games don't run forever and that if Zenimax says no to Open Source that as MANY years pass eventually Windows wont run the game. So I brought up the slightly less-silly idea of Greebo, Tels, et al. sitting in their nursing-home rocking chairs and stroking their gray beards wishing they could play something like TDM on Windows 22 and deciding to help the new batch of modders finish their TDM-alike mod.

As an ignorant swine, I posted a screen-shot that shows something akin to the TDM environment and for that I drew much wrath. But such is the fate of fools.

If I were smart I could've posted the code for a custom AI script from Crytek's Sandbox editor (if it allows such a thing :unsure:) and the Devs would've seen some glimmer of insight instead of a screen-shot slobbering mouth-breather who doesn't appreciate intellectual game-play (and the years of work they've done).

I wouldn't be in the forum or post so often if I didn't think this mod was the best thing ever but I also understand how these guys can be defensive because of how many outright flippant threads about this subject were hurled at them even before the damn mod was released.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

lol Fair enough to say that the thread wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but the original post doesn't come across as a light hearted joke. In the same vein, I don't think anyone is reacting with hostility, they're reacting with exhaustion. This type of thread has come up quite a few times over the years, so imagine how we feel when it comes up again.

I see. In that case, I apologize for creating this thread. I understand how much of a nuisance it is to see this sort of thing popping up at such frequency

I rather see zork in the crytech engine, even though the crytech engine wont run on my computer. they use some archaic way of deciding what your hardware is, and the system they use was last updated in 2007 and all the hardware in my computer is from 2008 so it doesn't recognise it and so it blue screens the computer.

Today I installed Doom on an N770 internet tablet, just because I can. This is possible because the engine is open source and it can run on almost anything technically capable of doing so. If the Doom 3 stuff is opened up, I may one day be playing TDM on a device the size of an Ipod. Hell, this could be done in less than ten years for sure. Just look at the Pandora. If it had 2 gigs of ram instead of 256 megs, it could probably do it with low settings.

Now the Penumbra engine... *that* would be awesome. It is *already* open source, and can do mind bending things. I was astonished when I pulled a chair in front of a projector and was able to read the text in the projected image as it passed along the wood on the chair. All of the leavers and switches in the world are triggered by physics, and not just by you clicking on them. This means you can jam a wooden plank under a leaver to prop it up and keep a machine running, or hang a bucket from the leaver to way it down and keep it going the other way. You can also pick up objects and swing them around. If you let go of the mouse button, they will fly in that direction. Try building catapults with random junk you find in the game world too. Also, notice that desk compartment becomes harder to open/close as you place more objects into it.

I also took a glass bottle and set it in a metal garbage can. Then I started shaking the garbage can around very quickly. The glass bottle broke, and then I was able to pull the individual shards out of the can and toss them around in the game world. You can also just flip the can over and watch as all the shards spill out.

There are demonstrations of this engine on youtube, but the developer didn't do a good job showing off what it is really capable of.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.