The Dark Mod Forums

Sticky for inflammatory thread topics?

nbohr1more

Perhaps this should go into the main Off-Topic Sticky thread but I think a list of inflammatory topics should be listed so that the newbs don't anger or demoralize the community:

Here is my silly take on this (obviously a more serious list should be compiled)...

Top 10 Inflammatory Topics: :laugh:

10) Aidakeeley's Musings

9) TDS Best Game Evar!

8) TDM in the daytime?

7) TDM with a Gun! \m/

6) Rope Arrows Suck!

5) Blackjacking Sucks!

4) TDM on Nvidia, The Way it's Meant to be Played

3) TDM in a Tropical setting with Guns \m/

2) TDM in WWII, stealing from war victims!

1) TDM ultra gore and murder mod with guns on the ARMA II engine! (Screen-Shots of Medieval assets plopped into the engine (eg proof) included)!

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Seriously, #7? Farrel totally needs a bazooka. Jeez, get with it, people. How are you supposed to burgle without a bazooka?

Just Cause 2 engine? :laugh:

If you REALLY want an inflammatory topic:

11) Hemorrhoids

Only TDM, TDS, and Aidakeeley are more inflaming than Hemorrhoids! :laugh:

)Okay, I believe I now owe all 1400 members of this forum an apology...)

Edited by Mortem Desino

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

9) TDS Best Game Evar!

4) TDM on Nvidia, The Way it's Meant to be Played

3) TDM in a Tropical setting with Guns \m/

:laugh: (and, of course the same goes for the antithesis: TDS Murdered Christ And Raped My Grandmother!

&

:laugh: (Such a crafty little slogan -- arrogant irritating as hell)

&

:laugh: (one of the many sort of dupes in the list but the best -- just funny)

And, hey, btw, the ever-lasting-ever-loving-irony-is... all my "infamy" (so far) stems from my steadfast persistence in hoping to maintain that we all always remain vigilant in assuring that :rolleyes: "rules of politeness & decorum" :rolleyes: -- the arbitrary concepts -- are not used as excuses for settling other problems that should or may should be aired properly. If arguments are to be had then arguments should be had.

I'm trying to advocate for free speech for everyone... And this is the thanks I get! ;)

Anyway... my #11 would be including, especially in a thread title I guess, Thief-specific names for certain things that are most assuredly, not at all Thief derivatives...

"Hammerite", sir? Those, sir? How very dare you! No, sir!

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

@aidakeeley:

If a newb signed up and posted a thread titled "Aidakeeley's Musings" I'm sure you'd flame 'em into brimstone. That would count as inflammatory, no? :laugh:

Edited by nbohr1more

@aidakeeley:

If a newb signed up and posted a thread titled "Aidakeeley's Musings" I'm sure you'd flame 'em into brimstone. That would count as inflammatory, no? laugh.gif

OMG, totally putting that to the test! Let's take a look at the results.

For the record though, I actually really quite like aidakeeley's irreverent ways, and think he adds a little colour and diversity to the forum. I love you, aidakeeley wub.gif

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Number "10" keeps getting funnier with every post... Maybe I do have a good sense of humor unsure.gif ???

I agree. This game is great! If I'm not careful, trying to provoke aidakeeley might become more fun for me than TDM ;)

And I think that thus far we can say that our experiment is working out nicely. Interestingly, there seems to be a more incendiary reaction from the rest of the community than from aidakeeley himself.

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Nvidia has a game developer relationship initiative called "The Way it's Meant to Be Played" where they "help game developers optimize" game code. Their work often results in basic features like AA not working on their competitors products. In exchange for their "help" the game developers put Nvidia branding and advertisement into their games. Non-Nvidia users (mostly ATI/AMD) are infuriated by these practices...

Well it hasn't been all roses for Nvidia, examples:

1) ATI users hacking games to re-enable the missing features thus proving the sham that their hardware is incapable

2) ATI cards running the games at higher frame-rates in spite of the so-called Nvidia advantages

3) Nvidia crippling their own product "PhysX SDK" in order to exaggerate the benefits GPU PhysX's (even though combined CPU and GPU PhysX is better on Nvidia).

there's always nvidia's deal with microsoft, where you can get nvidia drivers for the xp but they wont install cos the uninstall program is missing from the setup files, just to make you update to windows vista or win 7. or they wont work because they dont check that your running on xp and try to run on directx 10 and blue screen of death with page fault error, strange that the drivers released before win 7 work without any problems.

I had an nVidia card before I upgraded my PC, and TDM (at that time Thief's Den/Saint Lucia) downright refused to run on it no matter how hard I tried. Fortunately, the card died an early death and I bought one from ATI. Didn't know about these practices, though.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I had a Geforce 3-Ti200 that died in less than a year and it scared me away from the brand. My brother was an ATI fanatic so I took the plunge and got a Radeon 9500 Pro... WOW that was a card for it's era.

I currently have a HD 4650 but unfortunately any modern card on AGP is a mutant bastard with a PCI-E to AGP interface. Drivers are certainly questionable... (really weird installation behaviors)...

I haven't gone ATI for years. When I was building a new computer years ago, I bought a brand new ATI card but it wouldn't work in the AGP slot....just a weird fit. Took too much jiggling. I thought the MB was bad, so I replaced it...still no go. Exchanged the ATI for an Nvidia and presto.

Built my next computer two years after that and thought I would try ATI again...same problem. Bloody card didn't want to work in the slot. Nvidia, no problem. Haven't heard if anyone else had that problem...but it turned me off ATI for good I think.

I think the first board I tried was an ASUS, but it was crap so I went to a SOYO Dragon PRO. That was a great board for the money. My next board was also soyo...and it's still rocking in my old desktop...still have room to expand to 3 gigs too. Well ahead of its time.

I don't really care much for brands, but if you realize just how much damage nvidia has done to pc gaming, it's pretty incredible. Specially when you hear stories from people that have worked there, I see stuff still trickling out to the news sites about how underhanded they are, but it's all been out there for so long. That house of cards cant fall fast enough.

I had a soyo dragon mainboard with an ATI card back in 2003. Awesome shipping error, I ordered one of the standard dragon boards, but they ended up accidently shipping me, what was it, like a soyo dragon pro platinum or something, the high end one. Great board, worked fine with my ATI card, but it CRACKED during transit to boston about a year later. :(