The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadient: Lightview

Bikerdude

Is anyone else able to get lighting working with DR1.3.2 going from textured to lighting as when i try it DR just appears to lockup... or is this just a function of the Open source renderer used with DR being too slow for anything other than basic small maps.,.?

We dont talk about the lighting view render, its not accurate or a good representation, eats memory and murders hardware.

The likelihood of the state of the lighting etc changing is : none

Rather just make a shortcut to TDM in windowed mode that you can keep around for looking at stuff :)

Hm, I'm definitely able to use render mode with 1.32. However I have been getting some crashes and lockups myself, and it does seem to have happened in or upon recently switching to render mode... but I can't say for sure. Usually it seems I've just switched to render mode, and then move the mouse to turn or drag the cam view. Attempts to find reliable repro so far have failed.

Render mode does take a short bit to kick in just after loading, but you probably know that already.

I never use it at all, but like Serpentine I always keep a windowed Dark Mod open at the same time I'm editing, and then update the dmap and map, or sometimes just the map, depending on the type of change.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I am aware of the slowness to enable lighting mode, just the other day I was thinking that a progress dialog was needed rather than just locking up until it is completed. Not sure whether or when I will get to look at this though.

The lighting view has some problems but it shouldn't be completely useless; you can at least use it to check the colour and size of lights, even if shadows are not rendered.