The Dark Mod Forums

What's your favorite music?

Amita12

Wouldn't be to narrow it down to anything beyond a list of springs-to-mind-at-this-very-moment; so I'll give you a few that I wish I could find more of... at the moment:

• Carl Nielsen (actually I have managed to find a bit of his stuff -- and even the performances most wanted -- with some searching)
  • Kapsamun
  • Timmy Thomas

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

This is a very difficult question. I was having this conversation recently with a guy at a music festival, who put forward that this question in itself is unfair, and a better way to approach the subject is to divide it into "lifetime/key musical influences" and "who are you into at the moment."

So here goes:

Lieftime Musical Influences

- The Beatles

- Jimi Hendrix

- Radiohead

- Neutral Milk Hotel (In the Aeroplane Over The Sea is far and away the greatest album ever written)

- Bob Dylan

- Ben Folds Five

- Josh Ritter

- Songs: Ohia/Jason Molina/The Magnolia Elctric Co. (they're all the same guy)

- Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst/Desaperecidos (also all the same guy)

- Pink Floyd

Who I'm into at the moment

- Bonnie "Prince" Billy

- First Aid Kit

- Andrew Bird

- Bon Iver

- Mumford and Sons

- The Decemberists

- Frightened Rabbit

That'll do. Too many to list. Essentially, I'm into folky stuff and music that challenges you, and if you like that sort of thing then I'd recommend any of the above.

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

I tend to be into music with thought-provoking lyrics, and also usually with a slightly trance-inducing edge (in the sense of the music carrying you away, not necessarily the genre.) Artists I like are Peter Gabriel, Sting, Josh Ritter, Sufjan Stevens, NIN, Depeche Mode, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Coldplay, (early) Foo Fighters, Asylum Street Spankers, Toad the Wet Sproket...

Then I listen to (and play) a lot of jazz, especially piano. That's a slightly different question, though, since I think about that more in terms of pedigree, technique, influence, my own style, etc. But I like Morton, Earl Hines, Fats Waller, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Jacky Terrason, Bill Charlap, Brad Mehldau, Hiromi Uehara...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Since my wife has clamped down on Rock 'n Roll in all venues...

I now treasure any chance to listen to Heavy Metal or Garage Rock!

I always thought it would be cool to create an in-engine cinematic for a Halloween themed FMS with Metallica's cover of "Am I Evil" in the background ...like a modern movie trailer (or Rockstar game trailer) with slow-mo, constant fade-outs etc...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Since my wife has clamped down on Rock 'n Roll in all venues...

Alright, Dangerfield Youngman, now I am starting to become concerned that you aren't just kidding about.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

No kidding there aida. My wife listens to folk and country almost exclusively. Our trips in the family mini-van are aural torture. :(

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

In no particular ranked or chronilogical order, and very abridged:

dead can dance

lisa gerrard solo albums

nine inch nails

marilyn manson

rasputina

portishead

massive attack

visual audio sensory theater

wumpscut

covenant

depeche mode

vnv nation

das ich

beethoven

franz liszt

chopin

jsb

opeth

cradle of filth

dimmu borgir

tool

tori amos

alice in chains

yuki kajiura

nobuo uematsu

juno reactor

nirvana

REM

stone temple pilots

aphex twin

janes addiction

KMFDM

mindless self indulgence

queen

stones

beatles

@ ungoliant: There is a lot, really a lot in your list that fits me perfectly. Only Rammstein and the solo stuff (aside from his work with NiN) from Chris Vrenna is missing. Oh and some things from The Cure. (to make it my list)

But I have to say that in the last eleven years there was only one artist/band I consistent listened to until now. And that is Marilyn Manson. Especially the last two albums. (though these were the most un-successful) I can tell that Manson does exactly do the music I really love. Don´t know what it is, but nothing else seems to fit me...(I really love his voice, though his live performances ATM are worst ever, sadly)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I like different types of music, mostly kinda mainstream, but among my favourites are:

Pearl Jam

Nine Inch Nails

Smashing Pumpkins

The White Stripes

The Mars Volta

The Music

Muse

The Strokes

Radiohead

Portishead

The most under-rated of my favourite bands are 'The Music'. The following isn't my favourite song of theirs, but it gives you a sense of the energy this band has:

couldn't resist. was browsing youtube the other day and came across videos from this absolutely jaw-dropping concert thats out on DVD. I'm broke and its like $65 but screw it, I'm buying it anyway.

Yuki Kajiura:

Salva Nos (this is mah favorite song. meant to be played LOUD)

A Song of Storm and Fire

She is not a jap pop idol, she is a composer that works on video games, animes, and things. Shes on the keys in these videos.

Edited by ungoliant

METAL! \m/

...and hard rock :)

...and other things :/

I like the big 4 thrash metal bands...

-Metallica (especially)

-Megadeth

-Athrax (especially)

-Slayer

I like rob zombie, tenatious D, nirvana, black sabbath, system of a down, rage against the machine, pearl jam, Pod nickelback, kinda like muse, fear factory, Pantera...

IRON MAIDEN!

And those are the songs I'm listening to atm :)

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

Fiction is a great album, but slightly disappointing because I don't really like the fat-lady opera-esque vocals in Salva Nos, and other tracks in that release. However a couple tracks that I believe are original to that album, Red Rose, and Open Your Heart are totally f-ing awesome.

edit: if you are referring to getting the title track itself, the song "fiction" .... I didn't really like it.

Edited by ungoliant