The Dark Mod Forums

Modeler here, need some help?

Sin

Hi guys, im a big fan of the thief series and have been following this mod ever since you guys put the website up. Alas back than I was young and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. This is no longer true, as I am now a 3d modeler with good experience in the field. And thus I feel compelled to help as much as I can.

I am still just starting out in the industry and will always be a student but I think I could be of some use to you.

I am now in the process of switching all my 3D modeling focus to high poly digital sculpting..but that doesnt mean those assets cant be used for a project such as this.

I can use Zbrush to builld basicaly anything I want, whatever I can't do within zbrush I can do in maya and mudbox. Even if you guys need low poly stuff, its pretty easy to just get the low poly division of the model and export it out with good animatable topology...

I have been searching for something to keep my creativity going, I fear that I might be a bit too late to go crazy on the project but I would like to help in anyway I can. Whatever I can do for you guys will also help me and my art to improve.

Here is my portfolio with all of my works, there is a lot of "low poly" modeling that I just did for Autodesk, and am still doing I supose.

http://magalhaes.carbonmade.com

If you guys have no need of another modeler then its cool =). I would just like to say that I love playing the mod and that you guys have done an amazing job.

Cheers,

-SiN

PS: I don't really know what sort of poly counts/maps , file extensions and etc you guy are using. Would be cool to know what sort of thing needs doing and seeing if I can or can't help.

I will always be a student. I love that.

I can't really speak for the team but I know that Tels is working on an Object LOD system and foliage (trees) are of main interest. But I expect that since this LOD can be used anywhere that "show-piece" versions of things already in the mod will be in demand (still within reason...).

I personally think it might be cool to do a "quick-transform LOD" where several versions quickly switch in a sequence that looks kinda like animation (so use up all 7 LOD levels very quickly)... This would be done for indoor areas for things like Dinner Plates and Bowls to make them really round up-close. (Don't know how practical that would be... might look too weird)... :laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hey Sin,

We can always use good-quality, skinned models. There is a wiki entry here with some useful information about how to get started: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Starting_to_Model_for_TDM

Also a thread just above this one lists a number of models that would be useful. Are you any good at modeling hair? I personally could really use some medium-to-long hairstyles for use with our AI.

Hey Sin,

We can always use good-quality, skinned models. There is a wiki entry here with some useful information about how to get started: http://modetwo.net/d...o_Model_for_TDM

Also a thread just above this one lists a number of models that would be useful. Are you any good at modeling hair? I personally could really use some medium-to-long hairstyles for use with our AI.

Hey Spring, thanks for the wiki link, very informative.

As far as hair goes im sure I can work something out, it just depends on what kind of modeling do you want, IE planes with transparency maps or "basic" polygon hair.

I can do polygon hair just fine, the transparency maps are a LOT of work though.

I think we could work something out tho, I would just need some more info and reference models and images to work on, anyway hair isn't a problem.

I might actualy start doing some of the statues and other things the above topic mentions..I can probably handle most everything in that page. Also knowing you guys are using normal maps opens great oportunites to sculpt in zbrush.

Also the main issue that I can see with the workflow is that I don't use blender or Max to do my modeling...usualy just zbrush and maya. So I might need a bit of help exporting everything just right. I will read up on the wiki to get my bearings. In the meantime feel free to pm me or email me with specifics about hair or any models you feel I can help with.

Edited by Sin

Many team members have Maya, so there shouldn't be any trouble getting things in game.

I can do polygon hair just fine, the transparency maps are a LOT of work though.

Yes, basic polygon hair is all we're using. I'm a low-poly modeler, so I don't really know how to get the high-poly detail needed for a good normalmap. Here's an example of our existing hair: http://www.mindplaces.com/save/commoner_heads.jpg

Most of our heads have short hair or headgear. We only have a couple of long hair versions to work with.

Welcome, Sin! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Welcome!

As nbohr said, we can also use improved models of our existing stuff, both "more high-poly" for close-ups and "more low-poly" for distant standins.

The two formats we use are .ase (more accessible since it is just textfiles and we also can now export them from DR) and .low (which I don't know how to work with as I haven't got the tools on Linux).

If you want to know more, please just ask!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Welcome!

As nbohr said, we can also use improved models of our existing stuff, both "more high-poly" for close-ups and "more low-poly" for distant standins.

The two formats we use are .ase (more accessible since it is just textfiles and we also can now export them from DR) and .low (which I don't know how to work with as I haven't got the tools on Linux).

If you want to know more, please just ask!

Ok guys, I need a few days to get my bearings but I will get on this as soon as I can. Some work came up for me and I need to get some things done.

I will come back soon to ask for files and/or reference images to start my modeling.