The Dark Mod Forums

new computer....

slavatrumpevitch

~$880 for:

8 gigs DDR3 ram,

1 TB HD

2.66 i5

HD 5750

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5611886&csid=_21

or

$1170 for:

8 gigs DDR3 ram

1.5 TB HD

2.8 i7

HD 5850

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5625772&csid=ITD&body=MAIN

which of these options, if either seems good, would you recommend, and why?

games I want to run well:

TDM

Thief 1, 2 (and maybe 3)

Deus Ex 1, and 3 (when it comes out)

Thief 4, when it comes out

Mirror's Edge

Crysis

Oblivion

Mass Effect

etc....

any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

the more you spent, the longer the system is fast enough!

But the more you spent, the faster the system is getting cheaper (for example I bought my gtx260 for 260€ and after just 6 month you could get it for just 170€) So you have to decide.

Personally I wolud choose the i5 (cause if you want you can upgrade it in one/two years to a better version) - NOW you won't feel a difference between a i5 and a i7 in a computer game (in case you use a normal resolution^^)

The problem is, the i5 uses a quite weak grafic card. I would be enough to play all the games in a good quality, but I think (for example in crysis) you want to play with the best look. - If I'm right, you have to choose the i7.

If that's not a big deal, take the cheaper one, and be happy with the saved money and spent it for an upgrade in one-two years (after this time you would spent the same money as when you bought the i7 right now, but you'll have a better system)

As a i7 choice I would take this one:

http://www.tigerdire...8106&CatId=5138

EDIT2:

With this one, you have enough processor power for years! and the graka is also not bad.. (but you won't feel a higher performance compared to the other processors, but the future is coming ;) )

http://www.tigerdire...2907&CatId=4928

THIS would be definitely my choice!!!!!

Edited by Berny

The problem is, the i5 uses a quite weak grafic card.

wait..what? I've been out of the PC hardware game for a few years now (last PC update was buying an ATI Radeon X1950 XTX when it first came out, still using it, and still running NHAT and RttC with good framerates), but since when does cpu model influence the graphics card you use? Pretty sure I checked Pricewatch like a week ago and the i-series is an intel processor line, but I've had like a 12-pack, and I've said/thought some dumbass shit before with less in my system. maybe i should stop posting after 12am in general, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this. Processor choice makes no difference to graphics card.

Hi, I didn't spot this thread till now..

when I Used to frequent the ttlg forums people used to ask me to recommend a home built system for them and if they were based in the states new egg was the supplier of choice.

if you want I can look at the specs you have listed thus far and come back with a recommendation.

^_^

when he buys a new system (like such an expensive) the grafic card and the cpu should be more than basic, that's why a think it should be an 5770 or higher

Yeah there is that to consider, consider that the mobo that the i7 will fit can do crossfire are as well as SLi so he can just add another of what ever card he buys.

This system looks pretty good.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_IV/

Core i7 930, 6 gb DDR3/1333 RAM, a 1TB hard drive and a gtx460 for $1160

I don't need a new system right now, but if I did, I would buy this. TDM is generally the only modern game I care about playing.

It also has SATA3 and USB3.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

SATA3 is almost pointless atm, as there one drive out there (new Seagate barracuda's) that even comes close to using its bandwidth of 600BM/s

But Ive yet to see this drive on the market, 12mnths after the above demo was mentioned on Toms hardware....

The same goes for USB3.0

Edited by Bikerdude

True, unless you want to use SSDs. I may get one with my next PC.

I use an external eSATA 1 TB drive I put together for less than $100. The drive can't even saturate the connection (unlike USB 2.0) and it was a lot cheaper than a USB 3 enclosure.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.