The Dark Mod Forums

Strange Tearing

LEGION

But I already bought the expensive one! :unsure:

Just kidding. :D

Ah, dammit. That are the reasons why I wanted a console, on a PC there is always something wrong. :wacko:

Hmm, this looks interesting, could be an improvement, right? That price I can afford. Should I buy it? I´ll do everything you say, almost! ;)

And my actual cables are three meters, don´t need longer anyway. But the DVI-cable is five meters. That´s too long, considering the 3-meter-cables, right? Maybe I´ll try it tomorrow.

And my TV is not the best. On TV-programs I got after five minutes white diagonal stripes over the screen. The better TV of my girlfriend doesn´t have this stripes, so it is my TV that causes it. I guess the price was 700€, not sure because I paid 50€ every month and that´s two years ago.

Doesn´t anyone else have this too? Because it is not constant let´s me think it maybe is a mod-problem.

Finally tonight I´ll play Doom3 with Denton´s HDR-mod, but I don´t think I´ll see it there, because of the small hallways and good visportals. I´ll see...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

And my TV is not the best. On TV-programs I got after five minutes white diagonal stripes over the screen. The better TV of my girlfriend doesn´t have this stripes, so it is my TV that causes it. I guess the price was 700€, not sure because I paid 50€ every month and that´s two years ago.

Doesn´t anyone else have this too? Because it is not constant let´s me think it maybe is a mod-problem.

OK, why do people always leave out critical details until the end.

Darkmod looks like crap.... 3 pages of discussion.... Oh yeah, I'm using a TV - A CRAPPY TV... What's wrong with TDM, must be TDM...

Maybe it's a crappy TV problem. lol.

Ask this question:

'Is anybody else playing TDM on a crappy TV or is it just me?'

'Does my TV ALWAYS have crappy white lines?' Because you say the TDM issue isn't constant, maybe if the white lines aren't constant it's the CRAPPY TV.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Calm down, for my understanding the problem is completely different. I´m no expert here.

I don´t have the lines in S-video or HDMI-mode. And on my PS3 I never saw this tearing and I never saw it in other PC-games. So I only see it in TDM, so sure I thought it could be the mod, wouldn´t you? Sure not, but I did and I´m not convinced that it is my TV.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 2 weeks later...

In the meantime I bought the HDMI-cable I posted (the one for 24€) and well, I still have to switch the resolutions to get rid of the tearing. But now it´s really gone. The one I had in Dufford´s although I made res-switching is now gone.

I´m now pretty sure it´s related to the custom res I picked (1216x692, and not my so-called crappy TV :angry:) because when I start with 1280x720 in the first place, there is no tearing at all.

Also, in the places I saw the tearing before (only in Dufford) I notice a serious FPS-drop. But not in the whole room, just the spot where the tearing was. In the opposite direction it´s fine, as it was before.

When I got the tearing, there was no FPS-drop.

Oh, and it´s not a Mod-issue!!!!!!! (and I´ve never said, TDM looks like crap)

I saw it in Doom3 too, but only once so far. But as in TDM, res-switching makes it go away.

Edited by LEGION
  • Like 1

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Kind of false alarm for the "Dufford-tearing". For the, let´s say 'common tearing' it was enough to start TDM-Main-Menu in 1280x720. But for the "Dufford-tearing" I have to start the FM itself in 1280x720. It´s not working when I start another FM in this res.

This is driving me nuts.

I finally bound a key with "r_customwidth 1216;r_customheight 692;vid_restart" that I press when the FM is loaded in 1280x720. So, actually, I now have to load a mission twice.

edit: in 1366x768 there is this tearing too, so it´s not caused by the custom resolution.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update on this front:

As I started the new FM Betrayal by Fieldmedic the tearing was back, although I made the vid_restart after loading the mission. I saved, quit and reloaded that spot in 1280x720, no tearing, made vid_restart with custom res, tearing was there.

But then I decided to test another custom res (only left possible between the two) and this (1232x700) is working just fine!! No need for vid_restart, just loaded Dufford´s and here no tearing too!!!! :o:laugh::)B)

Damn, am I glad! Oh, I´m so happy cause the new res is cutting so less from the screen that I now can read the last loot-line that wasn´t possible in 1280x720 and nowhere else I had a feeling of 'cut'. I have a gut-feeling that I got finally and for sure rid of the tearing. No talking of the devil, I know, but that have to be it, I´m sure... :unsure:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I have an update on this front:

As I started the new FM Betrayal by Fieldmedic the tearing was back, although I made the vid_restart after loading the mission. I saved, quit and reloaded that spot in 1280x720, no tearing, made vid_restart with custom res, tearing was there.

But then I decided to test another custom res (only left possible between the two) and this (1232x700) is working just fine!! No need for vid_restart, just loaded Dufford´s and here no tearing too!!!! :o:laugh::)B)

Damn, am I glad! Oh, I´m so happy cause the new res is cutting so less from the screen that I now can read the last loot-line that wasn´t possible in 1280x720 and nowhere else I had a feeling of 'cut'. I have a gut-feeling that I got finally and for sure rid of the tearing. No talking of the devil, I know, but that have to be it, I´m sure... :unsure:

I'm glad you're getting to the bottom of your rendering issue. :)

It's for sure a strange issue, might only be caused by certain combinations of custom resolutions or something like that. Anyways, keep us posted.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, so far no tearing anymore. :) Maybe it´s a GPU-issue(Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, newest drivers, in combo with my TV), because the tearing was on spots with slower performance. Now I notice on these spots a slower FPS-rate, though barely visible.(before with tearing there were no FPS-drops!!) I wonder if it would be even visible on a recorded video, most likely not I guess...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Yeah, so far no tearing anymore. :) Maybe it´s a GPU-issue(Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, newest drivers, in combo with my TV), because the tearing was on spots with slower performance. Now I notice on these spots a slower FPS-rate, though barely visible.(before with tearing there were no FPS-drops!!) I wonder if it would be even visible on a recorded video, most likely not I guess...

Only if you recorded your tv while playing, which would help us understand the issue.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.