Doom 3 players vs Thief players

nbohr1more

39 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you come from

• Thief
    • Doom 3
    • Both
    • Neither

I have been reading more of the history of this Mod at ttlg lately (boy... those folks can be really contentious...) and have been living vicariously through their feelings of wonder and discovery for every old milestone for the Mod. It so much more rich of an experience than occasionally checking Moddb or Filefront (etc) for the latest Doom 3 mods. Even Doom3world doesn't have this wild and wooley type of community. I'd like to see who out there is like me and came into this mod primarily via Doom 3. I suspect that it may be 2 to 3 members :laugh: (but I think rich_is_bored is from the Doom 3 camp so I may be in good company ???)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

To be honest, Doom 3 was a bit disappointing... I was hoping for something even more brainless like Painkiller.

I just wanted to zap a bunch of enemies to blow off steam. :laugh:

I have extreme tastes I guess. It's either all hard-core stealth sim or all brainless shooter ... anything in between feels awkward.

Edited by nbohr1more

I bought Doom 3 to play TDM, and was slightly disappointed by the main game. I loved the original Doom games for their fast-paced high energy ultraviolence, and Doom 3 was too slow, had underpowered weapons, too few monsters on screen, blah levels ("that dark room will have another door closes and monsters start coming out of the closets moment - well, let's have it <walks into dark room, enemies appear exactly as predicted") and just a generic experience. Painkiller was just more enjoyable. I think iD, while they didn't realise it, lost a lot with Romero. All of their games since Quake 1 have been disappointingly generic, more tech demos than actual games.

Still, more than worth it for TDM, and the engine's superb moddability is a great thing going for it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah... iD lost American McGee before Doom 3 as well I think... If anyone is like an auteur director it's American McGee. I'd say he's the Tim Burton of the gaming world...

I was always into both games. I got Thief when it came out, as did I doom 3. At the time, I had no idea TDM was coming. First-person games (of any kind) have always been my favorite genre. It is also cool to see what the latest engine technology can do.

That said, I still play tuns of games from the 1990s.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I´m really an ultimate THIEF-fan. I once even played with a hood blocking my view of everything other than the screen. :D

Though, I bought Doom3 as it came out because I very like Demons and that stuff and the previews that time really made me think 'Hey, this could be a game made for you'. I don´t remember much, only that it wasn´t the game I thought and it was really short and that I had troubles with the last Boss-fight. Mainly because I wasn´t aware that this is the last boss-fight.

As I installed DarkMod in April I always wanted to play Doom3 again, now I have JC Denton´s HDR-mod and another for more blood and the demons should no longer disappear after killing them, models-patch for rounder heads, but still I haven´t played it. I played the beginning now 4 or 5 times, mainly for setting up control for my GamePad. Yes, you heard right, I want to play Doom3 this time with my GamePad. :wacko: I´ll play on the easiest skill, so I should get along, I hope. I also want to play without the crosshair, well, most of the time, I have a key assigned that toggles the HUD. I don´t like HUD´s. They´re killing immersion. (It doesn´t help if I tell myself it´s a chip implemented in your brain that makes the HUD) I also decreased the walkspeed, hehe. I know what you´re thinking. (Running is the default speed, though)

I did some fight-testing at the beginning and it worked fine this way.

But tonight I´ll play Builder´s Influence in TDM, that looked much more interesting than Doom3...

Speaking of Romero and McGee. I very liked Daikatana and Alice, should play them once more soon...

edit: I never played Painkiller, because I didn´t wanted a game without a story. I can´t remember why I thought that, though(I mean why I thought Painkiller had no story). The setting appealed to me. I´ll look into it again...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

The poll doesn't offer "both". I'm here now because of Thief. But I played Doom long before it because of my age and how long it's been around (6 or so years longer than Thief).

Yeah, me too. I think I started with Doom, then Doom2, then Thief, Thief Gold, then Doom3, then TDM IIRC.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Thief.

Nothing compares or deserves mention in the same breath.

I played Doom in its day but I was over the FPS by then even. I remember Wolfenstein and before that Cybertron or something the first FP game...

Never really bothered much beyond a look... and an "oh yeah, ho hum" at the Doom sequels. Might not have even looked at Doom2 come to think of it...

Half-Life is the only FPS that I can recall being worth a damn -- worth finishing -- in all these years since the original FPSers... (well IGI too, but I never have finished IGI! Maybe one day... eh... meh... maybe). Of course if you want to classify SS and DX as FPS then, there, you got 4 FPSers that aren't, IMNHO, junk.

It takes a rare gem to get me interested nowadays; Crysis? Ultimately boring; STALKER? Rails too early... frustrating, boring, disappointing; Bioshock? An inane glazed doughtnut.

I mean, I played Fallout 3 and it was great, really it was, but I'm not up for any continuance.

Same with Oblivion - captivating, special... and... goodnight.

Same with Mass Effect. Finshed and finished.

Excellent games -- good enough to complete one go through, but I'm sure I've had enough.

As for Thief, though...

I've never played a single mission (original or fan) over again -- I just cannot do it -- but I have played probably hundreds of different missions... and now with TDM? I await many more. That's how good Thief gameplay is! Nothing comes close.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I guess you're right aida. I have barely had a sliver of interest in finishing HL2 Ep2 since this flurry of FM's have been arriving. So much more compelling to play this mod.

Actually, I wish that there was a clean way to mix:

Classic Doom 3

with

Denton's Enhanced Doom3

that would give me pretty much what I wanted when I bought the game...

I put both because that is literally true. But it really was the Thief series which led me to this mod.

I played bloody hell out of the original Wolf3d, Doom, Doom2, Duke3D... but those were nothing compared to the time I spent playing Quake and Quake2, "Expert" mod with balanced weapons and fast grapple-hook (with weapon still equipped ;) ).

But then along comes a game called "Thief" and all changed... loved that game. And Thief II... loved that as well. Then Thief D.S. came along and I was horribly disappointed. I played TDS through once and then threw it away.

Half Life :) 2 major thumbs up!

Unreal (original)... lots of fun. Unreal Tournament and its variants... ok.

Quake3... damn boring. Doom3... long awaited, but disappointed. I was much less interested in the bump mapping than I was in having a fun game to play.

I turned to the more adventure-style shooters..... Soldier of Fortune I & II, Project I.G.I., Operation Flashpoint (fun despite the tanks which defied gravity when blown up by a mine). I also had a lot of fun playing Rune, and Half Life 2 was pretty damn good.

Duke Nukem For-f*king-ever!! I waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited......... etc. for that vaporware. Too bad George Broussard and company spent so much time playing WoW when they should have been coding Duke. Maybe they would not have been sued and run out of business. :(

But that whole time I was still aching for more Thief. Several years ago I heard rumors about a Doom3 "Dark Mod" for a Thief-style game.

So it really was Thief which led me to TDM, not Doom3. But I still played all of the Doom/Quake/etc.

I forgot to list "Taipan" on the TRS-80 model II, loaded from cassette at the very top of this post. But that was more than a decade before I ever had my own computer.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

lol, I used to play Taipan on the C64. There was a rare bug with the gambling that would inadvertently give you like a million dollars and you could just dominate (only happened once, but I saved it and could always start from that guy). Very different from modern games, though! But for the record, I did script a Dark Mod variant of it, like I seem to do for a lot of classic games I liked that are anywhere in the neighborhood of imaginable as a conversion (though more like shipping in the Mediterranean seaboard circa the Medici period).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Ask and ye shall receive :)

Huh, you could have added "Classic doom", too :P I put now in "both" as a compromise ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I played doom 3, then I found about system shock 1 and 2, which lead me to find out about thief 1 and 2, which for a while had just been faint curiosity

(thanks big brother, great communication skills :rolleyes:)

When I first started playing thief I have to be honest, I played it like it was quake :D It was the first game i really had to think to get around, but it was new and refreshing to me despite being 9-10 years old already.

I know thief 1 and 2 were superior in gameplay quality to doom 3, but I've always head a softspot for ID soft games, (probably because of the brutal artstyle) so I'd still recommend doom 3 to anyway, i played both the first D3 and expansion pack and enjoyed it. If you paid for the game and aren't playing it, really keep an open mind and play it, because it's not as bad as everyone says, it's just criticised harder because of everyone's expectations for a company of their magnitude.

I also really loved Deus Ex, which felt like a combination of theif's stealth (although not nearly as good) and system shock and something else, but I really disliked the second one and never finished it, i disliked it from the start, started playing for about 20 minutes then stopped because the fun metre was bouncing around 0.

I feel like the third thief was alright but I kinda lost interest, and since my brother owned the game and not me, I didn't see a point in playing anymore

To be honest with you, I'd rather play doom 3 any day rather than thief 3 or dues ex 2.

18588.png

Hmmm, tasty!! :wub:

I liked the cat very much, in German: Grinsekatze. :)

@Nils Bohr:

I don´t know what´s the case on Classic Doom, but on my 'More Blood'-mod I was able to copy the changed stuff into the main pk4´s, the same goes for the model-patch. So when I start Denton´s HDR-mod I have the other mods implemented too.

But I fear that Classic-Doom is more than just some pk4´s so that means it´s more complicated to put all together...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Speaking of American McGee:

Alice: Madness Returns (screens)

OOooh! I really liked the first game, but don't think I ever finished it. I think I eventually ran into a crash running it with Wine or Cedega which I could not work around at the time.

Also... any one else play the horribly rushed and poorly patched game "Blood"? I think that was the first Doom-like game which featured anything that could be over the players head but still below the ceiling/sky. The lid of the tomb you start out in comes to mind.

Dark Forces... can't forget it either.... Ewoks Suck!

Shadow Warrior, LOL, 'nuff said.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Hmmm, tasty!! :wub:

I liked the cat very much, in German: Grinsekatze. :)

@Nils Bohr:

I don´t know what´s the case on Classic Doom, but on my 'More Blood'-mod I was able to copy the changed stuff into the main pk4´s, the same goes for the model-patch. So when I start Denton´s HDR-mod I have the other mods implemented too.

But I fear that Classic-Doom is more than just some pk4´s so that means it´s more complicated to put all together...

Yeah... Classic Doom is a recreation of portions of Doom 1 in Doom 3. I could probably get the maps out of it but I'm not sure how dependent they are on the x86.dll (which conflicts with Denton's)

• 3 weeks later...

Thief.

Nothing compares or deserves mention in the same breath.

I played Doom in its day but I was over the FPS by then even. I remember Wolfenstein and before that Cybertron or something the first FP game...

Never really bothered much beyond a look... and an "oh yeah, ho hum" at the Doom sequels. Might not have even looked at Doom2 come to think of it...

Half-Life is the only FPS that I can recall being worth a damn -- worth finishing -- in all these years since the original FPSers... (well IGI too, but I never have finished IGI! Maybe one day... eh... meh... maybe). Of course if you want to classify SS and DX as FPS then, there, you got 4 FPSers that aren't, IMNHO, junk.

It takes a rare gem to get me interested nowadays; Crysis? Ultimately boring; STALKER? Rails too early... frustrating, boring, disappointing; Bioshock? An inane glazed doughtnut.

I mean, I played Fallout 3 and it was great, really it was, but I'm not up for any continuance.

Same with Oblivion - captivating, special... and... goodnight.

Same with Mass Effect. Finshed and finished.

Excellent games -- good enough to complete one go through, but I'm sure I've had enough.

As for Thief, though...

I've never played a single mission (original or fan) over again -- I just cannot do it -- but I have played probably hundreds of different missions... and now with TDM? I await many more. That's how good Thief gameplay is! Nothing comes close.

i played exactly the same games as you...except Mass Effect. Have the same opinion on them, mostly IGI. But you don´t mention IGI2... if you miss that, go for it now. You can save and its 100times better. Best stealth/shooter hybrid ever.