Sotha

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But of course! :D

I added them, and added your nick to AUTHORS.txt. If you want you realname and email there, just send me a PM :) ALso, if you can contribute nicely rendered skybox images, or other content, these are always welcome :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 years later...

I've been playing around with the skyportal for a few days now and here's something I just found.

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/downloads/skyportal

It basically incorporates the same concept I found on http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/How_to_add_a_sky into the source code. Might be worth testing out to see if the FPS difference makes the skyportal faster. I've also been pondering a info_skyportal that moves through a model city to simulate a train or airship mission.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

I'm a bit confused, because we already have such 3D skyboxes, even as prefab in the mod. They are, too, enlarged by factor 16 when rendered.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Right, but as far as I can see, the current prefabs don't follow the player. For my experiment I stretched Sothas toy tower into a skyscraper and placed it to the side of the info. In the game, the players point of view on that skyscraper was always head on. when I added the map script from the second link above, the info moved at 16th scale relative to the player. So as I slid sideways, the side of the building became visible. I'm guessing that dll code is faster than the map script, which is what the first link above does. Something similar may already exist in the dark mod Dll code, but I haven't been able to find any documentation for it in the wiki. The biggest trouble I'm having right now is scaling down models in Blender, as the lwo importer doesn't seem to import the textures correctly. I want to make scaled people walking around on the distant buildings.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

I noticed something odd today about the skyboxes. If the scale is supposed to be 1:16, that should apply to the standard grid units right? So if Sotha's toy tower is 10 x 10, scaling it up by 16 should result in a cube 160 X 160, which looks nowhere near as big in the real gamespace. Am I missing some math in there somewhere? Because when I scale it to 320 x 320 it looks correct.

Taurus philosophy:

• 1 month later...

skyboxes are prefabs

so it should be prefabs/skyboxes or prefabs/nature/skyboxes or so

take a look at DarkRadiant to see how they are stored, then store your own in the appropiate folder structure (you may have to create the folders)

if you've done everything right your skybox should be accessible via the prefabs menu after restarting DR/reloading prefabs via options menu

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

...And if you are creating your own skybox:

Special files you create are stored in darkmod/ folder.

So create a folder /env in there.

There is a custom skybox in knighton's manor. You might want to examine the .pk4 file to see how the files are set there. The .pk4 file is just a .zip file you should be able to open with your favourite archive program.

http://wiki.thedarkm...Skybox_Tutorial

Is also of great help.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

...And if you are creating your own skybox:

Special files you create are stored in darkmod/ folder.

So create a folder /env in there.

There is a custom skybox in knighton's manor. You might want to examine the .pk4 file to see how the files are set there. The .pk4 file is just a .zip file you should be able to open with your favourite archive program.

http://wiki.thedarkm...Skybox_Tutorial

Is also of great help.

i still dont get it. I created env folder, placed some some sky boxes there, How can i see them in DR?

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?