The Dark Mod Forums

Pagan Creature Concept

Springheel

I actually did this sketch for something else, but I thought it might work well as a pagan woodland creature...some kind of messed up satyr. It could also be used by FM authors who want to include the Trickster in their mission.

trickster.jpg

Ooooh, cool! I really like the bug dude. The horned dude might work, but I'm not as pumped about his prospects of being in Thief. Hehe, I kinda wish there weren't any pagans in Thief... they've never fascinated me that much. They did for a couple minutes, but it seems like they unfortunately had a repetive and loud sound to them forcing me to turn my speakers down. Plus, I much more enjoy playing against the more realistic guards and encountering the super-natural ghosts. I think GIMG's version of the beast could actually be a pagan with a skull mask on; making him a pagan leader. Did they already do this? I wasn't sure.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

I can stand the pagans either. Making every word a fucking plural. It's just an irritating and facile characterization. And obviously their wooish deities don't appeal to me either.

Maybe we shiould just have no pagan type idiocy in the game at all. I'm sure no one would miss them.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I wasn't really all that interested in the first one, but i have some good ideas for the cray-replacement, such as giving it the ability to crawl on cave walls and ceilings, as well as swim rather fast. (those are gills on it's head) To offset this it's attack would not be extremely strong, and it would be rather easy to kill, if you can hit it. It would probably attack by darting in at the player then retreating, repeat so on and so forth.

Conjcerning pagans, i find they actually become interesting when they're potrayed as stark raving mad. I'm writing this kind of thing into the movie, and i think that if they are not only insane, but very sinister in it, they could be a much better faction than they were in any of the thief games.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Pagans were done very poorly in T3, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do them. I've always liked the idea of pagans as a cross between barbaric highlanders and mystic gypsies. And the whole celtic mthology feel to their lands was appealing.

I only partially liked the hairy neandrathal-like ones in T2; nothing much more for pagans. Especially not T3. For our campaign, if we're having pagans, I think we should just have "deserted" pagan villages and maybe some artifacts lying around. Perhaps a small cave/underground area where some neandrathals chill out with the clicker bugs, but nothing much. Hmm, thinking back to the cavernous areas of Thief games where weird mutants lived, I'm reminded of The Cantina in Star Wars. Just a boring hodge-podge of societal (or evolutionary, in the case of Thief) rejects. Not very convincing to me :)

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Those ape-men (which were originally rat-men) were not pagans, they were just 'pagan-friendly'. The pagans are basically men and women who worship gods of nature rather than the Master Builder. Just like in our own history, they clung to the old ways and beliefs, having a much closer relationship with nature and the elements than city folk. In the Thief world, that includes a close relationship with elemental magic and mystical creatures like rat-beasts, bug-men, etc.

I'd prefer leaning more towards conventional celtic and scandanavian mythology for our pagan beasties, but there will be lots of time for those concept pieces later. I just happened to have the one above handy.