The Dark Mod Forums

Cembalo Remake

Nielsen74

Sorry about the delay. I got as far as making a simple black wire one. Then I got sidetracked and forgot about it. The black one I made looks visually much the same as the brush?/patch? ones you made. I can upload that if you're waiting for it. But this type of texture can only be black so it needs a separate texture for the connector keys.

I also searched and downloaded some images of wire connector keys but really at this scale simple rectanglular blocks will do like the ones you made. So I need to make a texture for that next but I'm not confident of making the normal for it which is really the most important thing in this case.

I'll look at this again tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Everyone remember this ultra cool cembalo Nielsen made?

I found it contained a lot of performace breaking stuff. Ultra high details interior and that sort of stuff.

I wanted to have a small & short & safe & non-addicting TDM project, so I took the liberty of giving the cembalo a little bit of love. I caulked a lot of hidden surfaces: kazillion of useless surfaces are gone. I also removed the interior and replaced it with simple texture detail. I also adjusted the textures a bit.

The cembalo also has now a fully working lid. It can be frobbed and it opens to the 45 degree you see in the screenies. Devious mappers can now hide treasures in it.

Here, have a looksie:

9112877.jpg

9112878.jpg

9112879.jpg

Musically aligned mappers, get Nielsen's updated cembalo here: http://www.mediafire...6bz7t0b35ukfnsz

Enjoy! (And thank Nielsen for making it the first place!)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What if the keyboard was one of those GUI surfaces and then the player could actually play it? It is just one of those crazy ideas in the back of my head. We could have one piano sound that gets pitch-shifted as he hits toward the right of the keys... lol

This would open up yet more possibilities, like making the player play specific notes to open secret doors and the like. Thoughts?

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

What if the keyboard was one of those GUI surfaces and then the player could actually play it? It is just one of those crazy ideas in the back of my head. We could have one piano sound that gets pitch-shifted as he hits toward the right of the keys... lol

This would open up yet more possibilities, like making the player play specific notes to open secret doors and the like. Thoughts?

A gui surface with mouse button on the keys would be difficult because some of the keys are higher.

But the individual keys could certainly be frobable buttons that depress like real keys. And it would be trivial to make each key play the correct tone. The accuracy of the frob highlighting would be the biggest issue here if all the keys were to be pressable.

I do remember a few games that had musical puzzles. But those always had only a few sound sources to make sure the puzzle is not too difficult.

Therefore the best solution might be that only 5-8 keys of all the keys are pushable. The keys would be far enough from each other to make it easy to press them with the frob highlight.

The key press sequence could be deciphered by a script, but I don't know how. I would probably make a logic machine like you've seen in my missions to pick up the correct tune.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hey looking good :smile:

yer the original whas "a bit" heavy performace wice :o that´s whay I askede for a textur for the strings og tuning pegs ;) but I think fidcal just don´t hav the time as I hav´t heard from him :mellow:

he he yer a goonies adventuer with waterslides, giv away floors and all would be great :P

Edited by Nielsen74