The Dark Mod Forums

Blender, Sculptris & GIMP - video tutorial

Arcturus

I've just finished uploading on Youtube a video in five parts in which I show a complete process of creating this normal map:

post-2001-128018749916_thumb.jpg

Links:

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

I used Blender, Sculptris and GIMP with normalmap plugin.

BTW, my PDF tutorial to Blender can be still downloaded here: http://www.fileshost...hp?id=F02584AD1

• Like 1

It's only a model...

That is a LOT of work. I saw some similar herculean effort for the high-resolution texture project for Doom 3 but I think your Sculprtis work trumps even that by quite a bit. :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Mighty impressive!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Speaking of Sculptris. Download a copy while you can. It was recently acquired by Pixologic.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=090617

It's up in the air as to what they do with it but it doesn't make much sense for a commercial company to buy up the rights to a piece of software and continue to give it away for free.

• Like 1

It's up in the air as to what they do with it but it doesn't make much sense for a commercial company to buy up the rights to a piece of software and continue to give it away for free.

Tomas Pettersson did not want to develop the program any more, but people could have had hopes for releasing the source code which will not happen now.

A shame that sculptris doesn't seem to support a background image? I don't think I could do it without (not very artistic). Has blender's sculpt mode improved enough to use for this?

I've installed Blender 2.5. Interface is so different that I had problems with finding anything. Anyway I checked sculpt mode and while it has some nice new options it still eats more CPU power than Sculptris. And the latter has dynamic tesselation. For sculpting you would need image on top rather than in the background. There is a program for this:

http://drpetter.prob...play&thread=597

Unfortunately it doesn't work properly on ATI cards (at least on some of them).

It's only a model...

I've just finished uploading on Youtube a video in five parts in which I show a complete process of creating this normal map:

post-2001-128018749916_thumb.jpg

Wowsa, good work!

The problem here is, of course, if runs along all the tutorials that artists create, namely "To create a lion statue, take a block and chip away everything that is non-lion and tada!" In this case it is "take a face and sculpt a lion on it" :D :D E.g. even if my liefe depended on it, I wouldn't be able to take an empty face and paint a lion on it, so the tutorial doesn't help me a bit :D

But it is still good for people who have that ability, I guess ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This was just an example :) You don't always need something that detailed. BTW you can bake normalmaps using any existing models. You could even load MD5.mesh with a guard. It's rigged so you can give it some pose. It's low poly so you would need to create materials and load existing normalmaps. Then create a face and you can bake normalmap and ambient occlusion onto it. This way you can use any models to create reliefs.

It's only a model...

• 11 years later...

In fairness, they were uploaded more than 11 years ago.

And it's the ultimate destiny of all tutorials eventually. 😔

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

An 11-year-old Blender tutorial is probably so outdated that it would be unhelpful, given how rapidly Blender develops. For example, Blender gained the Cycles renderer in 2011 which allows you to bake normal maps entirely within the software, and there have been massive improvements to the sculpting tools in the last decade. You could probably achieve the result of this tutorial in Blender 2.93 without using any other software.

• Like 1