The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

I wouldn't be able to color the pattern on the bellows and I wouldn't be able to use the screws on the leather either if I were to use textures from the library. In other words; it wouldn't look as good.

True; I was thinking of the plain wood version.

I've already made a shadowmesh for it so I think I'll use that this time, but I'll keep this in mind till the next time.

I'm afraid I'll have to take this back as Blender crashed on me before I had saved the shadow mesh and I don't really feel like remaking it, so I'll just take Springheels advice and just skip that.

Also I was trying to import the pair of bellows into my boring test room where I've placed everything else without any problems. Everything was going my way, I got a good scale for it, I made a new material with a nice editor and diffuse texture without anything strange and it all seems to work and looks great in the editor, but when I launched the game to see how it'd look for real, then it all came crashing down. The pair of bellows were nowhere to be found. I knew exactly where I had placed it (it was surrounded by a half-circle of screen-walls and located on a well-lit piece of floor), but when I take look in the game it's not there (I can't even see a black version of it). What has gone wrong?

Maybe a path error.

Nope. I checked the path multiple times and shouldn't a path error just return a black texture or just a black box?

What is your fs_game for Dark Radiant and what is your fs_game for doom?

Game: Doom 3

Engine path: C:/Games/Doom 3/

fs_game: darkmod

fs_game_base: m1 (my missions name, where I place all files)

Not really sure you meant the engine path with Dooms fs_game, you'll have to clarify if this isn't what you meant.

Any error/warning in the console? eg, cannot load model soandso?

There is no error or warning in the console at all. I can compile and start the map without any problems.

Edited by Nosslak

Hey Noss,

Good to hear that at least you're getting used to the workflow! this does sound like a pretty strange problem tho. If you hop on MSN later just send me the files and I'll have a look. I've set always accept on your contact so it'll send and I'll be notified if I'm not around.

Ok, sorted it out :

The mesh seemed to be broken, I ran it through a converter I use to move between model formats and just output it again as ASE, it was half the size and still had both meshes. Hopefully the normals etc are still the same. It works ingame and seems correct. I have no idea what's wrong... but feel free to compare the files

Mesh link

Your material also had an issue, there is a closing bracket missing at the bottom of the material file (to close the ambient block) and your normalmap file has the wrong name, think it just needed an "s" added to actual tga file name.

Oh and the normal map seems wrong again... but that's to be expected heh ;)

All that said, the model looks damn awesome in game and those preview shots really don't do it justice. Really some top quality low poly work. The leather has a certain awesome to it.

Edited by Serpentine

The mesh seemed to be broken, I ran it through a converter I use to move between model formats and just output it again as ASE, it was half the size and still had both meshes. Hopefully the normals etc are still the same. It works ingame and seems correct. I have no idea what's wrong... but feel free to compare the files

Weird, I'll try to export it again.

Your material also had an issue, there is a closing bracket missing at the bottom of the material file (to close the ambient block) and your normalmap file has the wrong name, think it just needed an "s" added to actual tga file name.

Oh, I just quickly exported the spec and normal map so that when I got it working those would work from the start, but thanks for finding the bracket issue, not sure I'd find it as quickly.

Oh and the normal map seems wrong again... but that's to be expected heh ;)

No, this is not to be expected. I thought I had finally conquered the mythical beast that is Xnormal as I got it to spit out a normal map that seemed to work. Is it the direction of the normals that is wrong again, or are you talking about the weird piece in the upper left corner? If you talk about that piece then you don't need to worry as that part will barely be seen and that it's just the outer parts of it that matters which seemed to work (in Blender at least) and also as always I've used padding on the textures.

All that said, the model looks damn awesome in game and those preview shots really don't do it justice. Really some top quality low poly work. The leather has a certain awesome to it.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing it myself.

No, this is not to be expected.

I'm not really sure, the textures were all fairly low res and normal maps that small just confuse me. I also just assumed they were blender ones without actually checking if they were fixed... so it's quite likely that the normals are actually correct. I noticed it on the brass rivet things around the edge, they didn't seem to protrude from the surface. However now that I think about it, it's quite likely that the map is just too low resolution to have those details. I'd consider increasing the res of the maps first. Also the normalmap seam at the back of the leather section is quite noticeable, but that's fixable with a little bit of photoshopping :)

I'd be happy to take a more in depth look if you want. But do send full res versions of the texturemaps if that is the case, diffuse and normal are a bit too low imho.

I did add the mesh link to my first post if your new export isn't working :)

I AM NOT DEAD!!!1!ONE!

So yeah... I'm back. I've just been really busy moving out of my parents house and starting at a new school, but I'm back again now and have finished my pair of bellows. Take a looksie:

bellowsin-game-1.jpg

276 polys, 2 skins, 512^2 diffuse, normal and specular maps.

There are some smoothing errors but I really don't know what to do about these are the model that Serps re-exported and the one directly from from Blender looked even worse. If anyone want it it's up for grabs here.

What do you think? If you think it's done I'll upload it.

BTW for some reason the normal map was flipped (again) but I fixed it so I won't need your help, Serps, but thanks anyway.

Edited by Nosslak

Looks beautiful. I can use that. :)

Thanks! I think I'm done with it, so go ahead and use it!

Nice nice nice!

Will there be the steel one and the ornamental loot one?

Thank you! I'll make one version that is essentially the same as the highpoly but with a monochrome guard and then I'll make make the fancy one golden with some swirls at the guard. How does that sound?

They looks great Nosslak!

I want to give positive vote to your post but it says action is failed. :wacko:

Thanks! A pity the vote failed, but it's the intention that counts, right?

Anyway I'm finished with the lowpoly modelling of the sword now. Here's how the 459 poly model looks:

Cutlasslow-1.png

Edited by Nosslak

... finished my pair of bellows. Take a looksie:

bellowsin-game-1.jpg

OMG! Beautiful!

I was just wanting a bellows model last night. Gonna make a small, portable blacksmith setup. One or two of those would be awesome to put on the floor by a small forge. Or even scale it up a bit with the rotation values for a larger forge. :)

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Hmm... I can load the bellows in DR but it does not render in-game.

Edit:

I first tried unpacking the bellows into ~/.doom3/base/ and it would be available in DR but not render in-game. Then I tried moving everything into the appropriate subdirs of ~/.doom3/darkmod/ and editing the .mtr file to have the proper paths to the textures. That didn't work either.

Then I extracted into the /base subdirectory in my Doom3 install path (for most linux users this would be /usr/games/doom3 or /usr/share/games/doom3, or something like that... for me it is in ~/apps/games/doom3). Again I can load the bellows in DR and it looks just fine, but it does not render in-game.

Any tips?

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Very good how the bellows are available in a more ornate ("nobleman") and simpler ("commoner") model. That's very handy. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hmm... I can load the bellows in DR but it does not render in-game.

Edit:

I first tried unpacking the bellows into ~/.doom3/base/ and it would be available in DR but not render in-game. Then I tried moving everything into the appropriate subdirs of ~/.doom3/darkmod/ and editing the .mtr file to have the proper paths to the textures. That didn't work either.

Then I extracted into the /base subdirectory in my Doom3 install path (for most linux users this would be /usr/games/doom3 or /usr/share/games/doom3, or something like that... for me it is in ~/apps/games/doom3). Again I can load the bellows in DR and it looks just fine, but it does not render in-game.

Any tips?

I had this problem a while ago too, I'm not sure what I did to fix it. Serpentine might've fixed it for me but it was a while ago so I don't really remember. I doubt it'll help but here's where I placed it:

"C:\Games\Doom 3\m1"

M1 being the fm-name.

Also if you put it in the right place (just extract it to your Darkmod or FMs root folder) then you should never have to change any material path.

Very good how the bellows are available in a more ornate ("nobleman") and simpler ("commoner") model. That's very handy. :)

Yeah, thanks, that is the reaction I was hoping for.

Edited by Nosslak

You should put a few extra tris in the blade and round it out better imo. The handle already has quite a bit of detail so a few more polys isn't gonna kill it.

Especially with that channel running down it, the channel is so smooth and round that it makes the blade look even more low poly. Looks like maybe you have as many curve segments in the handle as you do in the blade which is 4 times as large.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

You should put a few extra tris in the blade and round it out better imo. The handle already has quite a bit of detail so a few more polys isn't gonna kill it.

Especially with that channel running down it, the channel is so smooth and round that it makes the blade look even more low poly. Looks like maybe you have as many curve segments in the handle as you do in the blade which is 4 times as large.

Yeah, it looks like you were right. I added about 40 polygons and it looks much better. Here it is:

Cutlasslow3.png

495 polygons (instead of 459) and as usual 2048^2 textures. I'll try to get it in-game tonight.

I'm not so sure about this one, I'm not really buying the decoration of the handle.

http://www.replicagunsswords.com/weapons_gallery/home.php?cat=8

Have a look at some of the handles of these swords. I think your best best is to go with something simple but pretty, and not to make it too stylised. That way it can be reused inconspicuously

Btw...

HOLYCRAP it's a pistol and a dagger at the same time :o

http://www.replicagunsswords.com/weapons_gallery/product.php?productid=1942&cat=8&page=1

18588.png

yes, last one looks definitely way better. great work :)

Thanks!

I'm not so sure about this one, I'm not really buying the decoration of the handle.

http://www.replicagu.../home.php?cat=8

Have a look at some of the handles of these swords. I think your best best is to go with something simple but pretty, and not to make it too stylised. That way it can be reused inconspicuously

You know what? It would have been awesome if you would've said this before I finished it, instead of after. I don't think I'll go back and remodel the handle, at least not now, I might make another version with a simpler handle at a later date.

Btw...

HOLYCRAP it's a pistol and a dagger at the same time :o

http://www.replicagu...42&cat=8& page=1

EPIC!