The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

Oh thats very pretty Noss...

:wub:

Yes, very nice so far. :)

Thanks!

We have an existing clock face and hands you could reuse if you like...there are existing versions set up to keep actual time. Fidcal did that, I believe; he could point you to them.

I'll make sure to contact him about that. Thanks for the tip!

Here's a slightly updated version:

Clock2.png

Still some work left to do on the front.

Yes, very nice so far. :)

We have an existing clock face and hands you could reuse if you like...there are existing versions set up to keep actual time. Fidcal did that, I believe; he could point you to them.

This is actually a prefab plus a script that would work with any clock hands models on any blank clock face. It can also trigger game events in real time. The mapper has to set this up. See...

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Clock-Triggered_Game_Events

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Prefab_Comments#Clocks

If the existing hands models suit this clock then you might want to check the scale and adjust this clock model to fit but if you create new separate hands they will work fine with the script. You just need to make sure the origin is dead centre (definitely) and I believe possibly the orientation needs to be the same as the hands we already have. Probably not but either check or play safe! :)

BTW at first glance I was thinking 'barometer'. Might be worth considering another variant of the basic model as a barometer. That might double up as both house decoration and science instrument.

But a quick google picture search shows barometer dials are generally the other way up, ie, this model would need to be upside down like a vertical banjo. I don't know if it could even be modified easily as barometers have a tall slender neck.

Loving that graveyard column! The more assets that The Dark Mod has access to, the better! =-3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 4 weeks later...

This is actually a prefab plus a script that would work with any clock hands models on any blank clock face. It can also trigger game events in real time. The mapper has to set this up. See...

http://modetwo.net/d...red_Game_Events

http://modetwo.net/d...Comments#Clocks

If the existing hands models suit this clock then you might want to check the scale and adjust this clock model to fit but if you create new separate hands they will work fine with the script. You just need to make sure the origin is dead centre (definitely) and I believe possibly the orientation needs to be the same as the hands we already have. Probably not but either check or play safe! :)

That clock face is really ugly in my opinion so I'll definitely make a new one myself complete with normal maps and all that, but the clock hand is really nice so I'll probably use that (but I'd like to retexture it to look more like bronze/gold like the rest of the clock).

BTW at first glance I was thinking 'barometer'. Might be worth considering another variant of the basic model as a barometer. That might double up as both house decoration and science instrument.

But a quick google picture search shows barometer dials are generally the other way up, ie, this model would need to be upside down like a vertical banjo. I don't know if it could even be modified easily as barometers have a tall slender neck.

I just did a very quick test with some lattice deformation to make the neck thinner and it actually looked like it might work, if it doesn't need to be much thinner:

Clock3barometer-1.png

Loving that graveyard column! The more assets that The Dark Mod has access to, the better! =-3

Thanks!

Here's another small update on the clock (I've been swamped with schoolwork so I haven't had a lot of free time):

Clock3.png

I basically only extruded it backwards to give it some depth. My reference picture doesn't show the sides and I couldn't find any similar clock that was shown from the side either, so I'm open to suggestions if you don't like it. Otherwise if it is all good I'll just get on with the lowpoly.

Man, that looks equisite, can't think of another word for it - I think the more prefabs and "furniture" there is for FM makers, the better - things like barometers or large clocks which we don't have any more in an average home are very pleasing markers of atmosphere.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

The clock is looking great. I don't know about the barometer though...that kind of decorative aneroid barometer seems rather anachronistic to me. If we were going to include something like that I'd rather it look more functional and steampunkish, more like this:

Marine_Aneroid_Barometers.jpg

Man, that looks equisite, can't think of another word for it.

The clock is looking great.

Thanks a lot!

- I think the more prefabs and "furniture" there is for FM makers, the better - things like barometers or large clocks which we don't have any more in an average home are very pleasing markers of atmosphere.

Yeah, definitely!

I don't know about the barometer though...that kind of decorative aneroid barometer seems rather anachronistic to me. If we were going to include something like that I'd rather it look more functional and steampunkish, more like this:

Yeah, you're right. That looks a lot better to me as well.

How many polygons can I use for this model? I'm wondering because I'm almost finished with the lowpoly and it's looking like it's going to be around 1400 triangles right now, which I reckon is way too many.Here's how it looks now:

Clock4.png

Edited by Nosslak

look forward to using this clock!

I look forward to see it in a mission!

If possible I'd like to have the pendulum animated so should I try to animate it in Blender or do someone with the knowhow want to do it in-engine with scripts for me?

Yep, a separate entity is best so it can be controlled through scripting. That way it can be timed, reveres, haunted...

md5 anim files are really large compared to a model. And most likely someone would want to animate the hands, set them to a certian time which is all easier in script.

I can't really help with the scripts but I'm sure someone will help, they would be needed for anyone using it anyway. And I'm sure someone will want to use it right away.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

are you could just include the pendulum as a seperate objectect, then all that needs to be done is change the entity class to pendulum in DR etc.

Yep, a separate entity is best so it can be controlled through scripting. That way it can be timed, reveres, haunted...

Separate object it is then. As the pendulum will (mostly) always be used with the rest of the clock I'll include it in the same texture, as well.

md5 anim files are really large compared to a model. And most likely someone would want to animate the hands, set them to a certian time which is all easier in script.

Yeah, I figured as much but weren't sure.

I can't really help with the scripts but I'm sure someone will help, they would be needed for anyone using it anyway. And I'm sure someone will want to use it right away.

Yeah, I haven't tried setting the pendulum as a pendulum entity or anything yet (not finished texturing it), but if someone would like to try to setup a custom script for me the model will have to swing ~8 degrees left and right (about ~16 degrees in total on one single axis).

It's nearing completion:

Clocklow2.png

1520 polys and 2048*2048 textures right now.

I'll just have to add some details to the pendulum and work a bit more on the normal map and it will be done. I was thinking about just adding a celtic knot pattern in the middle of the pendulum as to keep it somewhat generic but if someone wants I can try some specific symbols.

Very impressive!

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It almost looks photorealistic. Can you import the model into Doom 3 as is is - without further reducing the number of tris - and post a screenshot?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Sex!

Very impressive!

It almost looks photorealistic.

Thanks!

Can you import the model into Doom 3 as is is - without further reducing the number of tris - and post a screenshot?

You know this is actually the lowpoly mesh, so I'll just wait till it's finished and import it. This is basically how it will look in the game though, only with slightly lower texture resolutions and even better textures. So yeah, it will be epic.

Alright, I think I might be finished with this now:

Clocklow3.png

I haven't put in any detail on the white bottom part of the pendulum as I couldn't find anything that looked particularly good, so that is still blank. Also I'll probably have to re-texture the clock-hands with a more golden texture, if it is okay I'll probably do a full re-texturing of those with ambient occlusion and the whole she-bang.

That's impressive! :wub: Can't wait to use it!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That's impressive! :wub: Can't wait to use it!

Thanks!

Maybe one for the pend too, I think it would look great just solid gold.

Good idea, I'll look into it!

Do anyone know which pk4 the materials are contained in? I've looked for myself before but haven't had any luck finding it.

• 3 weeks later...

Against better knowledge (I really should implement my other models into the mod already) I have started work on a new tree model (I saw some requests for it way back):

Tree.png

I took a look at the other tree that Arcturus animated and the trunk consisted of 1200 polys (I think) so I tried to stay in about the same range with this one, it's currently using 1100 polygons. If needed I can quite easily smooth it out and/or reduce the polycount a bit.

I also applied some simple vertex colors to simulate dirt (I'll use texture splatting so no AO this time :() and I'm wondering if it will be possible to multiply/overlay those colors onto the diffuse texture?

I will add some leaves to it in time, but this is the first step on my first tree. Also how many polygons should I use for the trunk respectively the leaves?

So what do you think?