The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

Or you could just not list the texture size if it actually has no relevance to the final product and you don't want feedback on it. :huh:

Yeah, that would probably be better.

Moveables CM is max around a 7 sided cylinder.

For the pumpkin maybe try a 4 sided 2 segment cylinder and twist it 45* in the convex direction. That'll probably get you as close to the limit with a sphere as possible.

Thanks! The CM looks a lot better after twisting it, which is something I probably wouldn't have thought of.

Yeah I could use them in my update of Alberics curse for around that time..

I'll see what I can do, though it'll probably have to wait till I'm finished with the tree!

I agree. And I highly doubt there would be a lot of performance gain from cutting the tops off of trees in any event.

I concur as well, but if the man wants it he'll get it.

I am going to do a LOD version of it, which will look as good and close to this as possible but with a lot less polys.

Quick completely off-topic question: Is it called polys or polies? I think I've only seen the first, but the other one is more correct linguistically.

I think I'm almost finished with the LODs now.

NoLOD: 1514 polys

LOD1: 750 polys

LOD2: 582 polys (I just removed some of the smaller branches for this)

Which is which?

Tree4.png

LOD2 is left, NoLOD in middle, LOD1 to the right

I'll still have to unwrap the trunks as I basically remade them from scratch, I just wanted to show and get them approved first.

Wow, very cool. Maybe you could try to make an even more agressive one where you replace almost all leaves with one sheet, for the "its more than mile away, but I want 100 of them in the skybox" usage case? (Sorry if I sound demanding, I just find this very exciting :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The grammatically correct term would be polygons. Polys, tris, quads, etc are shorthand

Great looking tree btw.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

Wow, very cool. Maybe you could try to make an even more agressive one where you replace almost all leaves with one sheet, for the "its more than mile away, but I want 100 of them in the skybox" usage case? (Sorry if I sound demanding, I just find this very exciting :)

Will this suffice:

Tree5.png

It's just 5 planes stuck together. Which will mean 20 polys when they're doublesided. I assume that there'll be no need for a specular or normal map for this then. Also which texture resolution would you like?

Will this suffice:

Tree5.png

It's just 5 planes stuck together. Which will mean 20 polys when they're doublesided. I assume that there'll be no need for a specular or normal map for this then. Also which texture resolution would you like?

Wow, see, you are an artist! :wub: I like that very much (and could never create such a thing even if my life depended it!) and it will be sufficient. For that LOD stage 512x512 (256x256 might be enough, too, but we can always downsize it later. The engine uses mipmaps, anyway) is enough, and no normalmap or specularity nec, either.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I am working on a quick little sideproject with some models of mine for school and was interested in your opinions on it:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=42rdKq8BiTA

I'll just make one or two more and connect them and it'll be done. What do you think?

On a more TDM related note: I am almost finished with the translucency textures so I'll just have to add them into TDM and if all goes well it will be done.

I like it, the only thing I'd do is varnish up that wood a little, to help show the carving detail, since it's a bit tricky to see shading on dark wood textures :)

Also took a look at those tree vids - something I missed; Does not disappoint!

I like it, the only thing I'd do is varnish up that wood a little, to help show the carving detail, since it's a bit tricky to see shading on dark wood textures :)

Good idea, I think I'll do that!

Also took a look at those tree vids - something I missed; Does not disappoint!

Thanks!

hmm, thought I posted.

Anyway I think you should add some fill lights before you record the vid, that'll give it a much easier to see/polished look. It'll show the highlights and shadows/ect..

Once the wood tex is on it's hard to even see any details in the wood.

Also, maybe try Unity, having a web player that the player can control is very cool (ie: rotate model, look at it how they want)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Anyway I think you should add some fill lights before you record the vid, that'll give it a much easier to see/polished look. It'll show the highlights and shadows/ect..

Once the wood tex is on it's hard to even see any details in the wood.

I don't know why but Youtube darkens the video a bit. It was even more horrible before, but I managed to improve it by converting/compressing it with a program called Freemark. Do anyone have any tips on a good format/codec for Youtube (that Youtube won't darken)?

Also, maybe try Unity, having a web player that the player can control is very cool (ie: rotate model, look at it how they want)

Sounds like a good idea, but one of the requirements was that you'd produce an animation, so that won't be possible.

Actually no, let me find a script for you.

I have one that just lets you rotate and object, etc...

You can place the object, the lights in a scene. and the script on the items, and have wasd, arrows controls.

---------------

edit--link might help

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15441325/TurnTable.rar

I haven't messed with it in awhile. But it's pretty simple.

Basically put your model (probably 3ds format is best or obj) and textures in one folder. Open unity, open the turntable project. Your folders should show up, drag the obj in, mightneed to drage material onto obj, throw in a couple lights.

Place the scripts on the camera (if they aren't already)

export to web

It really is easy to use, just gotta figure out the bsics but everything should be included to drag and drop pretty easy.

No need to animate.

• 4 weeks later...

I said I'd do it and here it is:

PlagueDoctorMask1.png

Still got a bunch left to do such as sculpting stitching and other details, as well as making sure that it fits on most/all heads.

Is there a way to disable facial hair on characters in the editor? Otherwise it won't fit all characters without making it a bit bigger which I don't think would look good.

What do you think?

Is this supposed to be a "black plague" mask?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Beak_doctor_costume

Looking good to me, will add some spice to the athmospheric setting.

Wow, bizarre. :)

Still got a bunch left to do such as sculpting stitching and other details, as well as making sure that it fits on most/all heads.

It won't likely fit on all characters, as the heads vary in size. Since it completely obscures the face it won't matter though. As long as it fits on one or two, that should be enough (it's not the kind of thing that is likely to be used frequently).

(for the record, without Tel's link I would have had no idea what that was).

Is this supposed to be a "black plague" mask?

https://secure.wikim..._doctor_costume

Yeah!

Looking good to me, will add some spice to the athmospheric setting.

Thanks, that's what I thought as well.

Wow, bizarre. :)

Thanks!

It won't likely fit on all characters, as the heads vary in size. Since it completely obscures the face it won't matter though. As long as it fits on one or two, that should be enough (it's not the kind of thing that is likely to be used frequently).

Yeah, I didn't really think about that, but that is true.

(for the record, without Tel's link I would have had no idea what that was).

Guess the "Pestilence" is much more ingrained into the European mind than elsewhere - it wiped out quite a large part of the population and there are still a lot of things that remind you of it (f.i. in the language etc.).

Someone's playing too much TF2 , lol

(That's probably the most popular medic accessory for those who don't play it- I have one too)

Hmm, you're right it looks a lot like the TF2 version. I had totally forgotten that it looked like that and I were looking at some other designs while modeling this one. Not to worry though as I will add some more details which will make mine more unique.

I didn't mean you were coping it...

Obviously there's not a lot of wiggle room on the general asthetic of the mask. they have a pretty unique shape to them which is instantly recognizable (as it should be).

Yours is deffinitely more steampunk than the tf2 one with the metal.

A bit hard to see what you're doing with the vent, I'd say go with a very easy to read material.

6220774-a-metal-air-vent-or-wire-mesh-grill-plate-material-with-a-grungy-worn-finish.jpg

and I'd like brass/leather maybe