The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

Hey Noss,

Sorry — I've been house-sitting for some people, laptop is limited to playing terrible 2D RPG's and watching stuff, so I kinda forgot to take a look at your stuff!

Do you still need me to take a look?

Yes, please do! I hadn't imported anything to TDM for a pretty long while when I tried importing this model so I might be doing something wrong, but to me it all looked right. I were using a new exporter that works right out of Blender 2.61 and I think that might be the reason for the problems, but if possible I'd like to use that exporter rather than the 2.49 one as I don't need to launch a new program.

Well, there are tuts for making blended terrain using v colors. But it's only black/white. And white is material a (grass) and black is material b Not having AO really isn't that big of a deal for the mod because nothing really has it. So having it actually makes it stand out more.

Yeah, I think it is better to add this as postprocess, so everything gets it.

Also, as for vertex coloring, what you could do is have an extra material that is vertex colored from white to black, and then assign that as extra step, that justblends some grime or or a gray over it, darkening the underlying material. Then you have the base material + shading and can easily vary the base material.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hey Noss,

Just took a look at the ASE's, the exporter is using a single material and then multiple sub-materials. This is rather messy, while some games support sub materials, others don't. Generally they are avoided as they can become a pain - as they were a very late addition to the already loosely bound format. The exporter also does not correctly assign references to the material - something that is likely a result of the developer only supporting one game, and that game assuming that it will always use submaterials in some order, urgh.

I'd take a look at the exporter's options, there might be something related to sub-materials.

Anyhoo, just fixing up some other stuff and then I'll make the edits by hand.

Same happens with Max Export if you use sub-materials. You get a material in the ase and all the other materials nested inside it. ie:

'material 0

"wood"

sub material 1

"metal"

sub material 2

"water"

end material 0'

I just use a different material for each one, works fine.

You want

material 1

"wood"

material 2

"metal"

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hey Noss,

Just took a look at the ASE's, the exporter is using a single material and then multiple sub-materials. This is rather messy, while some games support sub materials, others don't. Generally they are avoided as they can become a pain - as they were a very late addition to the already loosely bound format. The exporter also does not correctly assign references to the material - something that is likely a result of the developer only supporting one game, and that game assuming that it will always use submaterials in some order, urgh.

I'd take a look at the exporter's options, there might be something related to sub-materials.

Anyhoo, just fixing up some other stuff and then I'll make the edits by hand.

Alright, I think I'll keep using the .ASE exporter for Blender 2.49 instead in that case. It's not really a big deal to export it from 2.49 but I hoped I could eliminate that extra step.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I did model them after photos of venetian masks so yeah, they should resemble those.

Maskhigh2.png

Playing around with some feathers, not sure if I should keep them or not. I'm not really sure how they'll look if I have an alpha-mapped model on top of it (if the light goes though the lowpoly with alpha or what happens in-game) so I might have to remove them anyway. Blender shades them a bit funky but the geometry is simple so it should work fine in-game.

Woah. I like the feather idea, Noss! :D

I think it could add some much needed "chaos" into the design overall to be honest. But you know. Either way, but I'd ask you to try it in-game at least before dismissing it.... Please? :)

Edit: Or you know. "Chaos" in that it adds a little more "random" complexity next to the design of the mask... Dunno, I might be alone in feeling that.

Edited by GameDevGoro

Oh wow! Love it - love the feathers... Putting me in a "Life of the Party" mood! =-)

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I wasn't serious on that. I mean what kind of citywatch wears these stuff. :)

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to raise anyones hopes up for it to fit all characters.

come to think of it, do you have a plan on making male version of these for enabling masquerade?

I do actually! I found these which I like a lot:

MK716_717.jpg

long_nose_bw_plastic.jpg

I do have more important projects (the zombie) which I'll need to do first but I'll make some male masks after that.