The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

oooh very nice table Noss...

I really 28r9g.png:)

craftsmanship on the table is exquisite!

Thanks!

I managed to cut down the polys a bit further:

- Visible mesh is now at about 1700 polys (25% less)

- Shadow mesh is at about 740 polys (about 20% less). Making the legs triangular didn't even save 100 polys so I skipped that.

- Also made a collision mesh with about 500 triangles.

Noss, I like many other appreciate your hard work, and most dont have half your skills, but may i make a suggestion if it hasent been done already..

Is it not possible to replace some fo the poly detail, with normal map textures, thereby reducing the poly count..? eg the details along the edge of the table or the flats sides of the legs..?

And I know I have asked this before, but where are all your models stored so we can start using them in maps..

Well, even if you'r only saving 50 tris by making the shadow legs triangular that's a pretty good saving and I doubt it would really show much in the shadow. And that's where the performance matters.I'd do the point of the tri at the bottom/inside though.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Noss, I like many other appreciate your hard work, and most dont have half your skills, but may i make a suggestion if it hasent been done already..

Is it not possible to replace some fo the poly detail, with normal map textures, thereby reducing the poly count..? eg the details along the edge of the table or the flats sides of the legs..?

Some of the details are replaceable with normalmaps, but the thing is that normalmaps can only really simulate concave details (details pointing inwards) really good as they won't change the silhouette. Also normalmaps can't simulate 90 degree angles in a satisfying way either, so they are pretty limited to be honest. I have a pretty curved silhouette so that will need a lot of polys. The detail at the top of the legs will be simulated with alphamapped planes though instead of actual geometry (the downside with this is that if they're viewed at an extreme angle you can see that there is no width to them).

And I know I have asked this before, but where are all your models stored so we can start using them in maps..

Most of them should be available already but here's some of the one's that I haven't uploaded:

- Alembic (I think Springheel or someone were going to make a shadowmesh for, maybe 1.08)

- Barrel (need materials and all that jazz)

- Bed (basically finished with material and all, should just need to upload it)

- Cart (need to make materials, CM and SM)

- Clock (CM, SM and materials again)

- Walllamp (had some trouble finding a suitable glass texture otherwise finished)

- Lamppost (not satisfied with the quality, so I won't upload it)

- Royal orb (had some baking troubles, but they're solved so I can finish it now)

- Tree (CM and SM is being worked on by Springheel I think)

I'm a modeller and that is what I signed up for and want to do, that is why some of the other stuff takes time. If you're wondering about any model in particular I can probably find it for you.

Well, even if you'r only saving 50 tris by making the shadow legs triangular that's a pretty good saving and I doubt it would really show much in the shadow. And that's where the performance matters.I'd do the point of the tri at the bottom/inside though.

Alright, I'll do it then. It was the inside edges that I collapsed before.

The alembic and tree models are both up on SVN and will be available in 1.08.

The alembic and tree models are both up on SVN and will be available in 1.08.

Nice, thanks!

I'm still messing about with my new exporter, its so damn close - but for some reason doom3 hates the UV co-ords... but soon as it's done, you'll have it.

Thank you too, Serps!

Quick normal bake test before school:

Tablelow2.png

I think it turned out great (no alpha yet though)!

• Like 1

Yep, very nice indeed.

what he said!

Thanks!

I had no internet for a few days so without Youtube and all that other crap to steal my attention I got to work on some of my models. First I reworked the tables sides a little bit (old one for comparison) so they wouldn't need alphas as that didn't work out as good as I hoped:

Tablehigh2.png

Not really sure what I think about the new side-details. What do you think about it?

I also polished up my old spyglass to fit my newer quality standards:

screenshot1.png

I also remade the texture for my old lampmodel:

screenshot0-1.png

The bulbs glass texture is imo way too lowres, has blurry details, has a 1px white border, too yellow (there should be a white/blue-ish one for electrical light imo) and tbh is just generally bad. Maybe someone can make a new texture for lampglass?

I also started working on Springheels crossbow:

Crossbowhigh1.png

It's far from done as I'm sure you can tell.

Julio is still working on the zombie concept so I haven't started modeling that yet.

I guess I ought to lose my internet more often.

• Like 1

Thats some awesome work! I too find that I work 200% more if Im kept from the internet haha, Im always looking up stuff if I have access... I like the changes/simplification to the table, and all the metal work lloks fantastic, just the right feel, proportion, and amount of detail. Very nice...

Your work is stunning N, keep it up! <3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Your work is stunning N, keep it up! <3

Thanks!

Thats some awesome work! I too find that I work 200% more if Im kept from the internet haha, Im always looking up stuff if I have access... I like the changes/simplification to the table, and all the metal work lloks fantastic, just the right feel, proportion, and amount of detail. Very nice...

Damn I wish I could make such nice metal texture...

Yeah, thanks. Here's the tutorial that I learned from:

http://cg.tutsplus.c...metal-textures/

There's not all that much to it really. I've just laid several layers of grunge and scratch textures and brushes over each other to make the base-texture and then just repeated that texture all over my texture map and overlaid that with some grunge and scratch textures again. The trick to really sell metal is to make the diffuse (color) texture pretty dark, with a very bright and contrasted specular map with a lot of dirt and scratches as unique details for the specular map. When I make my brass/copper work I make the diffuse yellow/greenish and then the specular more orange/redish. When you make your specular map you should keep n mind that if the material in question is a conductor (leads electricity e.g metal) the specularity should have kind of the same color as the diffuse, but if it's non-conductive (e.g wood) the specularity/reflection should be white. There is a scientific reason for it that I read in an article a while ago but I can't remember it.

TDM does have a pretty good basic brass texture too, textures/darkmod/metal/flat/brass_greenish_tiling. Works pretty well for skinning statues and stuff too, with an AO blend + bump, should work for pipes and other prefab stuff.

But as always, Noss your low poly stuff is lovely :)

If you ever get bored, you could try reuse the textures and tile the table to make a set, a version like endtable1.lwo would be awesome too... but it's always easy talking about other peoples work, I know I know :) Or a set of pipes and stuff from that boiler material...

TDM does have a pretty good basic brass texture too, textures/darkmod/metal/flat/brass_greenish_tiling. Works pretty well for skinning statues and stuff too, with an AO blend + bump, should work for pipes and other prefab stuff.

Yeah, I don't know how good the stock texture is (haven't played a lot of FMs) but if you want I could export mine as as a separate texture too.

But as always, Noss your low poly stuff is lovely :)

If you ever get bored, you could try reuse the textures and tile the table to make a set, a version like endtable1.lwo would be awesome too... but it's always easy talking about other peoples work, I know I know :) Or a set of pipes and stuff from that boiler material...

Yeah, I could pretty easily convert it to a design like that. I'd just have to remove one leg and scale part of the mesh. So yeah, I can try to do that. Pipes aren't challenging to make and I'm not sure what dimensions to make them in or anything so it'd probably be better if someone else made those.