The Dark Mod Forums

Furniture: Table

Fjonan

http://www.old-furniture.com/vl/Beeld020.jpg

so my first one will be this one or one looking quite like it.

as i do not yet have doom 3 i have no idea what polycounts there stuff have. i just work it out, makin it low-poly afterwards is not that big deal.

textures often take more time (in my case, im not that experienced in texturing, yet) so i will work with 512 x 512.

maybe tonight i can give you a first shot.

Looks good...how difficult is it to thicking the legs? They don't look like they would support the weight at the moment.

yeah, that one i worked out after the shot was taken, but its not so easy because i dont want to destroy the "snail" at the feet by plain thicking it. maybe i will modell them again.

question to the programmers: will ther be moved drawers or is this work not neccessary? do you want it animated?

question to the programmers: will ther be moved drawers or is this work not neccessary? do you want it animated?

Hmmm, I"m not a programmer...just the sound guy, but it sure would be cool if you could open drawers and find loot or letters inside. :) Something I was expecting for Thief 3 but it never happened. Not sure how hard it would be.

Ahh, good point. I'm mixed on this. I think moveable drawers and swinging cupboard doors would be a nice-to-have. If we're to make a campaign, tho, I think we should try to avoid putting mission critical info in the drawers. I hate having to open every drawer or cupboard to complete a mission or risk missing out on key story information. Maybe just have 'extra' things (miscellaneous loot, miscellaneous background story notes, very unique non-mission critical weapons or tools, etc.) in them if they're implemented?

Is it worth the extra coding for that? I would put it near the bottom of our goals list.

Now that the SDK is going to be out (hopefully) we are going to need to decide what we realistically want to focus on for our first release and what to leave out.

Is it worth the extra coding for that? I would put it near the bottom of our goals list.

Now that the SDK is going to be out (hopefully) we are going to need to decide what we realistically want to focus on for our first release and what to leave out.

I'm sure there's no rush for it, but definately something worth mentioning. If it's not too hard to do that is and if it is, leave it be. :)

It wouldn't be so hard to do if you set it up right. A simple hand motion animation and a bit of extra code is all it would take in the end. The only consideration you'll have to make is that all frobbable drawers are at the same height.

Honestly, I didn't even think about the hand motion. I probably would suggest not even worrying about it because once you go that far you get into ...why doesn't he reach out to pick up loot and other things like that. Probably more trouble than it's worth. Things that are eaiser to control...like the holding the sword, arming the bow and arrow, lock picking....easily setup in a controlled environment. Anyway, just shooting the breeze and it would be fun to open a drawer.

I agree. I wised there was a tad more interaction possible with the T2 environments, with all the desks and stuff around.

Let's have a few mirrors in our environment, too. Doom3 had mirrors and they worked well. It's always fun to see the character you're playing in a mirror.

Looking good. :)

I know I'm out of my depth here, but wouldn't it be better to leave the details for the texture map? That way, we can swap textures for different looks while keeping the basic shape.

well, if you tell me how i am using bump maps, light maps and stuff i would say i finish the modell here (except for the missing moveable drawer)

its still about 10.000 polys, but highly not optimised. i just started modelling it without thinking where i could save polys

Edited by Fjonan

Looking good. :)

I know I'm out of my depth here, but wouldn't it be better to leave the details for the texture map? That way, we can swap textures for different looks while keeping the basic shape.

Yeah, that would be a great idea. We could get 5 or 6 different looks from one model. :) Saves one heck of a lot of work.

Yeah, that would be a great idea. We could get 5 or 6 different looks from one model. :) Saves one heck of a lot of work.

Bad plan. In part.

We can derive different colours and shades and varnishes from the one model, but nothing so drastic as different carving or nail combinations; that would make the normalmap look out of place. You'll have to make a highpoly version of every alternative design, pretty much, or risk it looking fake and plastic.

Hmm, I see your point. We could keep this in mind for other objects though, like beds, chairs, less ornate desks, etc.