The Dark Mod Forums

[SOLVED] It's there a method to manually install a mission?

Ladro

I was thinking if it's possible to manually install a mission *without* the DarkMod menu GUI.

It's enough to create the folder with the right name in the /fm folder, or I have to update some specific files on TDM?

It's there a file where is noted the current installed mission that i have to configure?

Thanks in advance to all :rolleyes:

Update: read the whole thread, now the problem/request it's solved :-)

Edited by Ladro

You'd need to extract the fm to a subdirectory of /doom3/ then change currentfm.txt in the /doom3/darkmod/ directory to refer to that directory's name (and most likely also need the copy of it in your /fm directory if you want to use the menu to launch etc, but I haven't really looked)

You'd need to extract the fm to a subdirectory of /doom3/ then change currentfm.txt in the /doom3/darkmod/ directory to refer to that directory's name (and most likely also need the copy of it in your /fm directory if you want to use the menu to launch etc, but I haven't really looked)

Mmmmh, it's not working on my machine.

On my machine, it was currently installed "forest" NHAT part 3. On currentfm.txt file was present only the word "forest".

Then i changed it to "heart" (the name of the directory of "The Heart of lone salvation", that i already have played, so i'm sure the working directory it's right), but when i start the Darkmod with menu, it's says "no mission installed". Maybe i have to update something more in some config file ?

Maybe it's better if I explain *why* i want to install missions in this way (manually): on my machine (i'm with Linux) when I install a mission with the Darkmod GUI, I have some problem when TDM quit and restart (i lose the right resolution and color/gamma settings, problem with the sound, i lose all pre-existant setting for mouse sentivity, etc etc). Rather then that, the Darkmod GUI works really really well, I have some problems only on installing/changing mission to play. So to avoid this, i'd like to install mission manually or, on the future, install it manually with a simple script out of the game B)

Edited by Ladro

Maybe it's better if I explain *why* i want to install missions in this way (manually): on my machine (i'm with Linux) when I install a mission with the Darkmod GUI, I have some problem when TDM quit and restart (i lose the right resolution and color/gamma settings, problem with the sound, i lose all pre-existant setting for mouse sentivity, etc etc). Rather then that, the Darkmod GUI works really really well, I have some problems only on installing/changing mission to play. So to avoid this, i'd like to install mission manually or, on the future, install it manually with a simple script out of the game B)

Have you reported this issue to us before? If this is only happening to you, then perhaps we can help you figure out why you're losing these settings...rather than have to work around them. It shouldn't be happening, so clearly something is going on with your installation. I've never had that happen on my linux install.

Have you reported this issue to us before? If this is only happening to you, then perhaps we can help you figure out why you're losing these settings...rather than have to work around them. It shouldn't be happening, so clearly something is going on with your installation. I've never had that happen on my linux install.

I reported the problem to the tracker some months ago, and the ticket it's closed.

Greebo cannot do anything without the doom3 specific source:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1991

Anyway, it's not a big problem (i can play missions, that's the most important thing! :-) ), really, it's just annoyng. I think it's a problem for Ati+Linux users like me, (you know, closed Ati drivers + closed source doom, and here we are :-))

So if i can make this little workaround I can install missions manually without everytime breaking my colors settings, mouse settings, sounds chops, etc etc... If I don't install a mission the Menu GUI works perfectly. The problem exist only if i install a mission, so when the menu quit and restart the game.

It's a geek request, not the "best practice" :D

Edited by Ladro

Here's a few things to mess with...

• Make sure that your doom3 install under Linux is in a directory called ".doom3" (Mind the dot in the path)
  • Modify the settings you want to stick by dealing with the DoomConfig.cfg in the "base" directory of your ".doom3" directory; this is the "master" cfg, I do believe.
  • Make sure that the command-line (shortcuts/aliases) parameters are not messing things up for you as all of these settings "DoomConfig.cfg"can be applied there using "set" or "seta" (you also might want to Google on the intricacies of the difference between these two things {set vs seta} while you're at it...)

Good luck.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

If you are certain that the problem is not simply that you are changing settings in DoomConfig.cfg in the wrong way (see HERE) then this is how to manually install an FM:

• name = name of FM pk4
  • doom3 = path and name to your doom 3 install
  • Close Dark Mod

To First install after download of name.pk4:

• Create a folder darkmod/fms/name
  • Put name.pk4 into it
  • Open name.pk4 in zip program and extract into darkmod/fms/name folder the following:
  • darkmod.txt
  • startingmap.txt
  • install_splash.tga (if present)
  • readme.txt (if present)
  • Create a folder doom3/name
  • Copy name.pk4 into it
  • Copy the above extracted files into it [edit - not needed but harmless]
  • Edit darkmod\currentfm.txt in a plain text editor to one line reading:
  • name

Run Dark Mod and the above FM should be ready to run from the New Missions menu.

To Re-install (ie, 'make current') of any FM already installed as above:

• Close Dark Mod
  • name

Run Dark Mod and the above FM should be ready to run from the New Missions menu.

If config problem persists then include in both of the above:

•  
  • Copy darkmod\DoomConfig.cfg to doom3\name

If still a problem then instead:

• Copy <lastFMplayed>\DoomConfig.cfg to doom3\name

If still a problem then include in first install only:

•  
  • Copy from any other FM game folder (ie, doom3\name) into your new doom3\name folder:
  • gamex86.dll
  • config.spec

The above are normally created automatically but that might be during a normal automatic install I am unsure.

Please confirm if and what if anything of the above works so it can be added to the wiki as a last resort.

Really thanks to Fidcal and all for great support! :-)

This is *exactly* what I was searching:

To Re-install (ie, 'make current') of any FM already installed as above:

• Close Dark Mod
  • name

If config problem persists then include in both of the above:

• Copy darkmod\DoomConfig.cfg to doom3\name

But it's not working :-(

If I only change the name on currentfm.txt file, it says always "no mission installed", and also, if I re-type the old (original working) name in that file, it not recover the old mission.

An example to make all clearer:

• I install, IE, the training mission form the TDM launcher menu (side effect: it breaks my resolution, color and mouse settings... when I exit from the game after the install)
  • Then i see that in the currentfm.txt it's written
    training_mission

• Well: i change it with, IE,
    delivery

(Special Delivery mission, that i have already installed and played in the past)

• I run TDMlauncher and it says
    No mission installed

, so I exit form the launcher

• Now if i re-write
    training_mission

in the currentfm.txt, and i try to restart tdmLauncher, it says always

No mission installed

So I think that the Launcher make some update also some other config file.

I also tried to compare (diff) DoomConfig.cfg files in Darkmod base directory, and also in some FM specific directory, but the differences are really tiny, here i compared the "delivery" specific directory, with the root Darkmod:

52,53c52,53
< bind "MWHEELDOWN" "_impulse15"
< bind "MWHEELUP" "_impulse14"
---
> bind "MWHEELDOWN" "_impulse14"
> bind "MWHEELUP" "_impulse15"
125,126c125,126
< seta r_gamma "1.357143"
< seta r_swapInterval "0"
---
> seta r_gamma "1.52381"
> seta r_swapInterval "1"
132c132
< seta r_multiSamples "2"
---
> seta r_multiSamples "0"
147c147
< seta sys_videoRam "256"
---
> seta sys_videoRam "0"

UPDATE: i found the problem!

If I save/edit the currentfm.txt file with Gedit or Nano or Vim, or any standard Linux text editor, then currentfm.txt it's not well suitable from the launcher.

If I, otherwise, save/edit the currentfm.txt with notepad.exe (via Wine) then the launcher recognize the mission location. I was thinking that was a permission problem, but also with a 777 chmod the problem persists, so i tried with notepad, and now it works :-)

It's really strange, maybe the launcher want some definition (Ms-dos style text) when reading from the plain/text file, I don't know, but now it works.

Edited by Ladro

•  
  • Can you confirm that you cannot now play ANY Dark Mod FMs. If you can, then please describe the situation in which they DO work OK.
  • Can you confirm that you are using a plain text editor to change currentfm.txt and not say Word.
  • Is currentfm.txt definitely in the darkmod folder?
  • The darkmod folder is definitely in the doom3 folder?
  • When say, training mission fails, can you confirm that if you then look in the fms and game folder ALL the files are present as described above?
  • Have you previously installed and played FMs OK but now they have stopped working?
  • Can you run tdm_update.exe in the darkmod folder and make absolutely sure that it says everything is uptodate when it finishes.
  • Since you are running Linux can you confirm your doom 3 folder is named .doom3 - that is with a full stop before doom3?
  • Have you any kind of file or folder read only protection or 3rd party software running that might interfere?

• Can you confirm that you cannot now play ANY Dark Mod FMs. If you can, then please describe the situation in which they DO work OK.

I can play all FMs, now, without any problem.

• Can you confirm that you are using a plain text editor to change currentfm.txt and not say Word.

Absolutely.

I used 2 standard Unix/Linux editor via shell: Vim and Nano. These are standard (and powerfull) editor, sure more then notepad :-)

I also used Gedit from Gnome, but with the same (negative) results.

Now I used notepad.exe (from Wine) to write the word of the Directory, and it's working. This was the solution of the problem, for me.

• Is currentfm.txt definitely in the darkmod folder?

Yes

• The darkmod folder is definitely in the doom3 folder?

Yes

• When say, training mission fails, can you confirm that if you then look in the fms and game folder ALL the files are present as described above?

It was not a fails of the mission loading, maybe I was not clear (sorry but I as you see, i speak very very badly in english): the problem was only that if i changed the currentfm.txt via an editor != of some Windows editor, then launcher cannot see that directory. But from menu it works always well, if he write "no mission installed" i was able always to re-install it from menu, it works.

• Have you previously installed and played FMs OK but now they have stopped working?

Previously and also now, i can play Fms without any problem.

• Can you run tdm_update.exe in the darkmod folder and make absolutely sure that it says everything is uptodate when it finishes.

My TDM it's up do date.

• Since you are running Linux can you confirm your doom 3 folder is named .doom3 - that is with a full stop before doom3?

Yes yes.

• Have you any kind of file or folder read only protection or 3rd party software running that might interfere?

No no. It was only a problem on editing the text file *without* a Windows text editor. Now I used Notepad.exe so it works :-)

My problem it's solved, now.

Thanks a lot for your support and help, I really appreciated. This community it's beatiful ;-)

No no. It was only a problem on editing the text file *without* a Windows text editor. Now I used Notepad.exe so it works :-)

Ah, we should track this as bug and fix it. It should also work if you use a Linux texteditor!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ah, we should track this as bug and fix it. It should also work if you use a Linux texteditor!

I agree.

Before filling to the tracker, can you Tels (and/or others Linux users) confirm this problem/bug?

You only have to edit the currentfm.txt (on the darkmod root) with nano or gedit inserting a directory of an installed mission that you already have played, then start the launcher to see if it's installed correctly.

If you have the same problem, I fill this as a bug on the tracker right now.

yeah it's borderline. It might be argued that currentfm.txt is created and used by the Dark Mod code so anyone changing it is not 'supported'. I mean it could have been some obscure hex dat file or something. However, I'll add it to the bugtracker but more importantly I'll add it to the wiki FAQ.

[EDIT] Done! :)

yeah it's borderline. It might be argued that currentfm.txt is created and used by the Dark Mod code so anyone changing it is not 'supported'. I mean it could have been some obscure hex dat file or something. However, I'll add it to the bugtracker but more importantly I'll add it to the wiki FAQ.

[EDIT] Done! :)

Yeah, i'm very happy :laugh:

Many many thanks for your great support, Fidcal :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like possibly a unicode/utf-8/ansi text file encode problem.

I think too.

I'll make more investigation on that damned "currentfm.txt" :ph34r:

Edited by Ladro