The Dark Mod Forums

Fan mission: Mad's Mountain by Jesps (2010/07/31)

Jesps

57 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Yup the mushrooms are one of the things I really think turned out great, its a taste thing I guess. (But they were a pain to place!)

Oh those numbers

in the math book are just a joke. They dont refer to any thing.

Congrats, very enjoyable mission. Your FMs seem to me give pure fun to player, without being much of a challenge. Pure relax. Must say i prefer such style over really challenging missions, cause i suck in big missions where i get lost. Apart from that, +1 on everything that been said.

I got stucked two times, once after climbing the wall, second in Mad Bryce chamber after i climbed over the table. Noclip takes care of it.

BTW, FM authors are getting nicely profiled in some way, like: Fidcal leads the way, closely followed by Sotha, Melan tests our hardware by giving TDM meaning "Three D Mark" , you Jesps make player have pure relax...:laugh:

(this is IMHO only, not trying to forget mention anyone, just thoughts, i can expect certain gameplay just by FM author)

Getting pretty hooked on verticality:wub:

Shrooms are OK, especially the fact they took shape of psylocibe species;-)

PS. I KOed some AI, then throw them into water and let them drown... does this counts as killing ? By TDM itself or is it adjustable by FM author? They make nice gurgling when drowning

Edited by Trickster

I wouldn't say that Pandora's Box is "pure relax" but it was fun... So that seems to be true of Jesps' work ... it's consistently fun :D...

Yeah. (About the numbers) I figured so. I think you could've left everybody guessing though... ;) a little mystery... :ph34r:

(going to play Crown again soon...)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well done!

Excellent implementation of the theme especially. Lots of twisty ways to go!

I never like the "Don't Kill Anyone" Objective, but if you FM authors are going to have such, please do as Jesps did here, i.e. don't tie it to Difficulties that have other Objectives that the player will miss out on entirely if they choose to play the way they want to...

I was an assassin on this one. And, dammit, I had fun.

Thanks, Jesps.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Finally I found time to play this Mission. It was easy fun. I was surprised that the spider(s) count as someone at killing. Do they have personality? And names? Just joking.

I was a bit disappointed by Mad Bryce.

I expected some scripted event when approaching him, but the only mad thing was him keeping a body in his locker. Well, who doesn't? (well, metaphorically at least). And I missed an explanation on the poor builder. Strange: Although a prisoner, he was still wearing his weapon.

I really liked all the ponds and the lockpicking. The Caves were all well done. After finishing the mission, I went again through all tunnels since they are so beautiful. The whole mission was eye-candy to me.

Hey Jesps,

Just finished with this one. Very nice!

I really liked the way the caves look. I probably would of gone with patches which would of taken forever and I'd get too frustrated laugh.gif

Your caves looked simple and they worked. The layout was great too

Lots of little areas to explore and find goodies :D

Lockpicking underwater was getting scary at the beginning

I especially liked that cannibal guy with the brain fork ohmy.gif

I thought the glowing fungus was overkill in some areas, but worked pretty good for the most part.

I managed to find all the loot.

Overall it was simple, easy, but fun.

Oh and I did manage to get stuck twice.

I tried dropping back down on the metal cage with the dead guy in in near the beginning, and I think the other spot was near where the spiders are, by the crates. I was forced to noclip

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I really liked the way the caves look. I probably would of gone with patches which would of taken forever and I'd get too frustrated laugh.gif

I tried with patches first, and it took forever, and I did get frustrated. smile.gif So even though I'm no expert on Blender, it was very easy to build the basic cave structure in Blender. I still had to build caulk brushes around them, and make monster clip brushes, but that's the same with patches...

I enjoyed this one, though I had a rocky start. I will admit to hating picking locks (I just can't get the hang of it) and having to do it underwater at the start of the mission nearly caused me to quit after 15 minutes of failure.

Once I got past this I liked the rest of it.

I was surprised that killing a spider on Expert failed the mission. I didn't think non-humans counted with this type of objective. If there was anything down there with the spiders, I missed it because I had to skip them.

It played okay on my old computer. Worst framerate drop was in Bryce's room. Had to restart TDM to overcome the problem (this is standard with my system; if FPS drops to 0 all is lost). I satisfied the Expert loot objective with the last loot I picked up in Bryce's room. I'm glad I didn't have to go back through the mission looking for some tiny ring or whatnot.

Nice job.

Played this recently and loved it wub.gif

The lighting and the shadow placements worked really well for some of the caves that had some cramped spaces. And oh boy, the climbing... Lots of climbing...

In true T2 fashion I expected to have trouble with the crate stacking, but it worked like a charm! TDM is great!

Also loved Pandora's Box which I also played recently (yesterday...? can't remember... too many awesome TDM missions!). I actually have a screenie of the airship deck as my desktop image smile.gif

Thanks for your great missions, Jesps! Both thumbs up from me - and toes, too laugh.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice cave-mission !

Especially I liked the plain view on the water in the starting area.

And the fact that underwater-sight has limited visual acuity.

I don't think having noticed this anywhere else so far.

There is only one thing that bothers me.

In the start-area under water there is a locked wardrobe.

Is there a key for it anywhere ?

I have searched the mission from top to bottom at least 3 times, but can not find anything.

It doesn't seem to be nearby, since these places I checked even more thoroughly.

Thanks !

Very nice cave-mission !

Especially I liked the plain view on the water in the starting area.

And the fact that underwater-sight has limited visual acuity.

I don't think having noticed this anywhere else so far.

I'm glad you liked it.

There is only one thing that bothers me.

In the start-area under water there is a locked wardrobe.

Is there a key for it anywhere ?

I have searched the mission from top to bottom at least 3 times, but can not find anything.

It doesn't seem to be nearby, since these places I checked even more thoroughly.

Thanks !

No there is not key for it. You need to pick the lock.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

4/5 across the board on this one - your readables are a joy! I really like the unconventional Thief style missions - mansions bore me to tears so missions like this are a nice break.

There's a sense of freedom and excitement at different directions to explore in this mission which is great fun.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

OK, here is my quick review:

Things that I liked:

+Spider's lair with the dead guy at the bottom. Really cool and creepy.

+Unusual setting.

+Using rope arrows to climb.

+Box puzzle.

+Brain in the bowl, with fork in it. Really funny!

+Using the electric wire to climb up.

+Using rope arrow to exit the level.

+Considering the file size, it's good.

Things that I disliked:

-Too much mushrooms.

-Chests in weird places.

-Thief guards with no voice.

-Expert is too easy. I blackjacked almost all guards with no problem. It seemed like they were just standing there, waiting to be knocked out. They were not very intelligent, they almost didn't patrolled and were often alone.

-Spiders should be allowed to kill. They are not persons. This really annoyed me.

-Spider web should not be walkable! It should induce the same effect as they do in Minecraft IMHO.

-Epileptic seizure inducing room. I mean, what's the deal with that?! I guess that Builder just died of epileptic seizure.

-Story: one of the biggest problems IMHO. It's almost non existent. And the lack of readable material didn't help it.

-Almost no immersion, due to mundane story and unreal cavern layout.

Sorry if I'm rude, but that's my opinion :x

Edited by Jon Irenicus