The Dark Mod Forums

New female Characters

Springheel

Well, I've been working my butt off for the last month or two on two new female characters, and I thought I'd share, as they're just about finished. These were the most difficult characters I've put together yet, as I had few female meshes from Oddity to work with. With all the flesh showing it was impossible to hide the seams between meshes (I tried at least three different methods to hide the seams in the neck). I'm actually only 85% happy with the results, but I think that's enough for them to be usable.

Both characters are slightly shorter than the male characters, and come with a unique set of idle animations, and a set of new heads.

The first character is "The Wench". Currently comes with two skins and 3 heads to choose from. She's intended for barmaids, whores, and average townsfolk.

wench1.jpg

The second character is an armed variation of the wench, "The Rogue". She's meant to be a female thief, but it's probably the closest thing to a female guard I'll be making. She also comes in two skins at the moment, and uses the same three heads as the wench.

rogue2.jpg

I did have one question. Where would mappers expect to find a character like the above? I put her in the guards folder, but I'm not sure that's the most obvious place for her. Would she be better in a new "Theives" folder?

I still have some tweaks to do--some textures need a bit of touching up, and some of the animations are still a bit stiff, but the characters are pretty much ready for release in the next update, assuming we have some vocals for them. Hope they give you something to look forward to. With these two and the noblewoman, TDM should start looking a little more gender-balanced. :)

• Like 2

Ah this is great news - and she (the rogue) is just what I want for a future FM. Thanks for this - I was only thinking of something like this a week or two ago for a character.

Yes, she's a hybrid - could be a thief or a guard, even a pirate. Initially I'd put her in the Thief folder. Maybe we could come up with some little extra to make her a guard like a badge, an arm band, a helmet, dunno - but just something a bit different then make a separate def for her in the guards folder?

Maybe we could come up with some little extra to make her a guard like a badge, an arm band, a helmet, dunno

I was thinking of a chainmail skirt and a helmet, which could work for some kind of guard, though it's hard to explain the gaping cleavage. :)

The models turned out very well I think. The seams can be fixed later on in an update, so don't worry too much on that count. :)

I was thinking of a chainmail skirt and a helmet, which could work for some kind of guard, though it's hard to explain the gaping cleavage. :)

No cleavage please, the slutmail (sorry ;)) of fantasy paintings would be inexcusable in TDM. A chain shirt + chain shirt + helmet combo, on the other hand... would take some extra work, but that would be a very good combination and something a female guard might work. Also, tabards - the atdm:ai_proguard model could also be suitable for females after some modifications.

If we are looking at further variations, servants with duller clothing - such as in Thief 1 - might come in handy.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The cleavage is nice for the wench I guess, but yeah, maybe a bit much for a guard/city watch.

Might not be too hard to just 'patch' over it. Just add some planes and weld the verts.

---------

Eidt:

I meant to post

Good work, looks great, can't wait to see em in game.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Wow Spring,

Those are really nice!

I was looking on the wiki but there doesn't seem to be an entry on how women are portrayed in the TDM society. I can see some being thieves (maybe lower class), but guards? Of course it is fantasy so anything is possible ^_^

Well that aside, can't wait to use them!

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Oh yeah, sure it is, Tyra.

Ehehe. (This is the very first time I fully understood Aidas Musing. Yay!)

@Springheel:

Most excellent work! The stuff looks really good and it is truly a miracle that we have such a talented bunch of people creating things like this for free. Wow! :wub:

Thief?

To me she looks more like a guard, but the light armour hints thiefish nature. Although, if she was a thief she would probably prefer darker clothes. Maybe black/dark gray skin for clothing? Maybe a prop face mask?

Guard?

She definately needs some better protection if she is a guard and -like others- I'm not a chainmail bikini fan at all. I think I saw a metal cuirass in the DR model catalog, maybe it could be bindToJointed and prefabbed while someone puts the effort to make a proper armor for her?

But again:

Well done!

@HappyCheeze:

I was looking on the wiki but there doesn't seem to be an entry on how women are portrayed in the TDM society. I can see some being thieves (maybe lower class), but guards? Of course it is fantasy so anything is possible

Hm.. It is supposed to be dark and gritty and fully equality between sexes would sound incompatible with the setting to my ears.

But then again, why not? Probably it would be difficult for women to gain such posts, but it certainly would be possible. Typically, women gaining such ranks are probably much more talented/tougher than their male counterparts, so the males have no options but to accept them. Or get stabbed in the dark alley. This would conform with the dark and gritty theme.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Wow Spring,

Those are really nice!

I was looking on the wiki but there doesn't seem to be an entry on how women are portrayed in the TDM society. I can see some being thieves (maybe lower class), but guards? Of course it is fantasy so anything is possible ^_^

Well that aside, can't wait to use them!

Have you played Thief 2? There were female guards in that game. :P;)

I can see some being thieves (maybe lower class), but guards?

Yes, I don't think female guards fit the setting either (as it is clearly dominated by a religion as misogynistic as our own was), but some people want them because they were in T2.

Is the Wench in attack mode in that third image?

That's a searching pose. I'll probably add a wench with a dagger though.

Nice update. :wub: The head looks a bit strange to me, and has visible polygon-edges on top, tho.

No bikini-armor, please. :)

Btw, there is now a console warning about a duplicate def or material (I forgot which it was).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Just updated SVN and took a look at the various combinations including the new noblewoman skins. These all look great. I like that the rogue carries her sword at her back like a builder or a ninja perhaps. I tried attaching a bow to her but that needs a bit of positional adjustment. Don't know if she has the animations to use it. Hope so.

I tried attaching a bow to her but that needs a bit of positional adjustment.

Yes, some of the attachment points need adjustments, but I think all the necessary animations are there.

Have you played Thief 2? There were female guards in that game. :P;)

Yes I do remember that. Like I said, its fantasy.

I also remember female mechanists from the T2X fan made expansion

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Female mechanists were already present in the basic Metal Age campaign.

And obviously, the implied setting of TDM is grounded in a level of realism, but there is no necessity to say women, even if in smaller numbers, could not become influential persons, guards or thieves. In truth, a lot of what we take for granted about the social position of women in the Middle Ages, specifically before the Renaissance, is a more modern construct, both in the heavily romanticised and the "grime-and-suffering" form. Regine Pernoud's Those Terrible Middle Ages is a worthwhile book to read on this subject (and many others); I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

While I was wisecracking I forgot to say thanks for the excellent work! More chicks is a good thing; and buxom chicks is a good thing too, but I'm glad to see that that won't be overdone.

And new animations will be great I am sure. The animations are some of the many things I have been very impressed by and enjoyed since coming to TDM.

Roll out 1.03! :)

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Yes, Springheel´s girls are really nice. And I´m with Tels and the others about the Bikini-chainmail-issue.

And I too would like to see female guards. If their number is low it should fit. It would depend on how strong the standing of the builders is. They surely won´t have female builders in their ranks.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I think it's amazing what work you've done only using oDDity's stuff. These models look great and fit right in. From the pics, the neck seem looks pretty darn well covered up. I'm not sure you could do much better in a game where the heads are dynamically attached. Unless we were attaching them at the jawline.

Nice :)

I know that modeling & skinning is not easy and I do not want to sound ungrateful, but I just wanted to mention that imo those women look a bit too much 90-60-90 with their big bosoms and all. Where are the chubby barmaids and skinny nobles...or vice versa :rolleyes:

We had a little discussion about the "proportions" issue in the german ttlg forum, if anyone wants to join, be our guest:

http://board.ttlg.de/thread.php?threadid=4335

Edited by Chiron