The Dark Mod Forums

New female Characters

Springheel

if the female thief has a bow, then she would have leather chest and neck armour to protect herself from the bow's string on the side she fires it from, mainly protection from pulling the string back.

bar maid would probably be showing more chest probably as much chest as a whore would, and her dress would be stained with ale, and whore's wouldn't wear more than their under garments, and none of them would be wearing underpants, although a noble might be wearing knickerbockers.

although for men they would at fancy doo's wear enourmous codpieces, rather over the top and extremely phalic. well the tudors' would.

as for shape, then according to medieval diet program that was on tv a few years ago the common people spent most of there time eating salmon and beef, where as the nobles eat all the bad things like sugar, and rich exotic foods. So common people would be slim and fit (due to working in the fields all day) and the nobles and the better well off would be rather fat (due to eating and laying around alot).

You cannot make a general statement about "medieval" eating habbits.

But it is safe to say that "common people" rarely ate beef, maybe once week at best apart from holidays. But this also depended on region, season, city or countryside, occupation, social standing, access to long distance trading and time period !

Edited by Chiron

Nice :)

I know that modeling & skinning is not easy and I do not want to sound ungrateful, but I just wanted to mention that imo those women look a bit too much 90-60-90 with their big bosoms and all. Where are the chubby barmaids and skinny nobles...or vice versa :rolleyes:

Yes that would be great, but we lost our awesome modeller years ago. Springheel has been pouring his efforts into creating models based on parts of our existing models, and doing a pretty fucking good job at that.

But without a fantastic modeller like we had, we can't hope to make completely original characters like you proposed. Hopefully a guy I know will manage to do some, he seems keen, just remains to see whether he will be able to stay dedicated, that is always the issue with a mod.

Yes I think everyone would agree that a wide variety of physical types is desirable but it is difficult with so many tasks and not so many contributors so early effort is being put into generic types who can fill many roles. It is certainly not a 'policy' to limit the size to any standard AFAIK.

It's possible using blend modes and additional stages to localize the effect to just a part of the texture. It helps a great deal if you understand color math or have experience with layer blend modes like those in Photoshop or GIMP. It's pretty much the same idea only you're using OpenGL blend modes instead.

Here's a good resource that demonstrates what I'm talking about...

http://www.digitalartform.com/imageArithmetic.htm

I divide the characters up into submeshes to make it easier to create new skins. The dress is a separate material, the tunic is separate from that, etc.

Great stuff y'all.

And excellent foresight to boot!

I think maybe if I get around to satisfying my wanting to see some see through fabrics (ala the translucence solution), I may be able to do some tinkering with this stuff as well for fun and finally learn something about one of these mysterious material shading descriptorizering files. And all of that kind of stuff and things.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I think maybe if I get around to satisfying my wanting to see some see through fabrics (ala the translucence solution), I may be able to do some tinkering with this stuff as well for fun and finally learn something about one of these mysterious material shading descriptorizering files. And all of that kind of stuff and things.

"New female characters" + "see through fabrics"? Where is that going? :unsure:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

:laugh:

I've been

Hoisted!

Caught out!

Exposed...

Time to bring out the Naughty Book of the Builder (or whatever it was called in T2X)

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HI guys! (I used to be active here a while ago, but kinda got busy with other things and stopped posting. I forgot my user ID and password as well as what e-mail account I had this place set up to use, figured it would be easier to start anew).

also sry for the bump, I found this interesting enough to comment regardless of if it's too old to respond to. feel free to ignore me i'm just throwing in my 2 cents.

I like the models, but the cleavage is a little much. the whore works, but with the rouge it's a bit off. it's one thing to have a low cut dress if your a hand servant in a rich house, or the owner of the rich house and can lie around all day (or if your whoring and gonna be naked half the time), but it's not such a good idea if your going to be partaking of vigorous activity.

#1 realistically, her chest is going to pop out of that thing the second she takes anything more than a dainty step. something of an awkward state of being when perusing a fleeing thief.

#2 it sure doesn't look like shes wearing a sports bra! so as soon as #1 happens those baby feeders are gonna be smacking her in the face as she runs. not only will that obscure her field of vision but it would also cause immeasurable pain!

you said yourself that getting the flesh to match up correctly was a pain in the ass, so why not ditch the cleavage shots? at very least you cold give her (it?) a choker to cover up the seams with the neck. needless to say, i'm on the full armor/no slutmail bandwagon, and even then you dont need to go over board with emphasizing breast mass under the armor. A "C" my represent average on the grading scale (with "D" being the norm in publick schools) but it's not quite that way when your talking about the female form.

truthfully you could make all the females flatter than a sidewalk and I would still be able to tell what character is what gender simply by the hips (if done correctly).

• 2 weeks later...

I like the models, but the cleavage is a little much. the whore works, but with the rouge it's a bit off. it's one thing to have a low cut dress if your a hand servant in a rich house, or the owner of the rich house and can lie around all day (or if your whoring and gonna be naked half the time), but it's not such a good idea if your going to be partaking of vigorous activity.

#1 realistically, her chest is going to pop out of that thing the second she takes anything more than a dainty step. something of an awkward state of being when perusing a fleeing thief.

Agreed. Aesthetically it looks good, and her face suggests a hard women, but it seems rather unrealistic that her top half looks as such. It's not that it's impossible that a rogue would get around with a little boob showing if this were based in a warm setting, but I'm thinking that the lacy-ness (excuse my French) of these clothes are a little unconvetional for someone who needs to be intimidating to intruder and performing those vigorous tasks would be somewhat uncomfortable, what with the corset and everything. I'm thinking plain leather would suit her better, something that compliments the natural curves and shapes of her body so as to be comfortable and practical... lol souds like an ad :P

#2 it sure doesn't look like shes wearing a sports bra! so as soon as #1 happens those baby feeders are gonna be smacking her in the face as she runs. not only will that obscure her field of vision but it would also cause immeasurable pain!

Ahh, yeah she'd probably have to be a 60 year old doing starjumps to get that particular problem :) dunno if steampunk technology extends to the maximum support and comfort of women's bras :D but yeah, not a whole lot of support going on at any rate

18588.png

• 3 months later...

*bump*

In addition to the wench, the noble woman and the rogue, is there going to be a female city watch guard or a woman builder or a female inventor?

I read through this thread. It seemed like modifying the rogue character seemed a feasible choice for the city guard, at least.

Just curious.

It's already fixed. Orbweaver re-processed the vocals so they should be in 1.04.

A female city watch should be do-able but I don't know if Springheel has that planned. A mapper can I'm sure improvise something if wanted. For me it doesn't quite fit my concept of the medieval/victorian mind but I'm not opposed.

In addition to the wench, the noble woman and the rogue, is there going to be a female city watch guard or a woman builder or a female inventor?

Not likely. I might do a nun-type character at some point, but this isn't a very egalitarian society.

Female thieves will be in the next update. After that, I have plans for a female maid which could double as a mage, but that's about it.

I'm glad to hear that a female maid is being considered, a maid character would complement some of the peasant-like male characters we already have. You've probably got enough resource images, but here's a couple I found that might offer some useful design tips:

Maid

Medieval clothes shop

I agree that female guards aren't very well suited to a universe based on our own and set at least 2 centuries in the past, not that I minded them in T2 but I seem to recall some people did.

If the female maid character is easy enough to customise with new skins, then I assume there's no reason mission authors couldn't create whole new classes (such as a female priestess cult, a la minoan religion).

It's already fixed. Orbweaver re-processed the vocals so they should be in 1.04.

I didn't make them any louder though; I adjusted for quality but deliberately tried to keep the levels the same so they wouldn't break existing maps. If they need a volume tweak as well that will have to be addressed separately.

mmm.... I only heard a few samples of oggs out of context. Well I don't think it could break any maps raising a too-low-volume voice to a normal level surely? Unless you mean perhaps a mapper wanted a character with a very quiet voice and would not be happy if it suddenly became loud. Personally I think it is just low volume compared to other voices and the level should be raised. I must try to find time to play my map in my SVN install to hear what she sounds like.

Just played under SVN and it's much improved and within tolerable (for me) quality limits now. I would say it is slightly quiet but also rather 'thin' lacking in bass substance and power. This gives it a remote distant feel. Not so bad as before but compared to when she talks to a guard in passing his reply is more substantial and 'present'.

The animation of the back of the dress is now fixed and looks good. Perhaps not perfect as I saw a tiny clipping into the floor but very good. Overall the animation is excellent. To see her sweeping along in her natural habitat - a grand manor - condescendingly complimenting an attendant is wonderful.