The Dark Mod Forums

Illusionist's Tower by stumpy (2010/8/5) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

stumpy

56 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

sounds like everytime you run into a trigger brush that has a script attached your game crashes, you need tdm version 1.02, the scripts always write to the console, some of the scripts control sounds and the open some hidden doors, so either its a sound problem or a line of sight problem, dont know how to fix it though.

sounds like everytime you run into a trigger brush that has a script attached your game crashes, you need tdm version 1.02, the scripts always write to the console, some of the scripts control sounds and the open some hidden doors, so either its a sound problem or a line of sight problem, dont know how to fix it though.

Actually I am using TDM 1.02 already and using the updater every couple of weeks.

But thanks for the tip, since I found something wrong on my system!

There were some errors reported in the console like

'could not load image for extinguishable/walltorch_2' or something,

which I found in tdm_models02.pak4

The interesting thing is :

when I renamed that one, I started the updater again and found that both are clearly different, but report the same size !

Seems like the updater does a quick check on the size only and does not care about CRC ???

Just having replaced that one did not help.

Guess I will redownload the entire TDM from scratch and also start this mission from scratch.

Thanks !

Redid the mission as it wouldn't let me go back in (to get the rest of the loot)

past the stairs after the first set of rope arrows.

As with the first time, I enjoyed the mission except for

the spiders. The teleporting was a little confusing but with some help I got that figured out.

There was great use of vertical space if not a little repetitive but all in all had no problems.

Forgot to add my thanks Stumpy for great mission.

Edited by Thiefette

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.... sorry, but I am back again - along with my problem.

I have disposed all the TDM stuff and downloaded 1.02 fresh.

And restarted this mission from scratch, too.

But I still get the same crash at the same position.

(Right after a couple of stairs downwards with Upside-Down-rooms that open as you teleport through that area)

The last place I can get to is here:

illusionisttower.jpg

I can get up to the doorway on the right hand side of the screen, but only if I face away from it.

Otherwise it would crash a bit earlier.

I even tried to use noclip in the console, but I can not get to the next area.

No matter whether I try to go straight through the wall ahead or downwards : crash.

I enabled all logging options in darkmod.ini

and this is the logfile that got created during the crash - just in case it helps.

It crashes while deleting some light-sources (as it seems to me).

The last lines seen always read like this:

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 662):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown initiated...

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 671):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown clearing light records for areaIndex 0...

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734256

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_30'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734312

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_27'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 692):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown destroying node list for areaIndex 0...

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 701):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown destroyed list for for areaIndex 0

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 671):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown clearing light records for areaIndex 1...

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734368

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_12'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734424

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_13'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 692):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown destroying node list for areaIndex 1...

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 701):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown destroyed list for for areaIndex 1

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 671):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] LAS shutdown clearing light records for areaIndex 2...

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734480

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_34'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734536

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_31'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734592

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_29'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734648

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 683):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list clear is deleting light 'light_33'

[.\DarkMod\darkModLAS.cpp ( 679):DEB (LIGHT) FR: 0] Light list iterating node 335734704

It never completes cleaning up areaIndex 2.

I wonder why only I seem to run into this issue.

Had there been any updates on this mission ?

At least I have the version currently availlable via the link on the first post in this thread.

Could some one provide a savegame somewhere well past this point/area ?

Thanks !

Edited by gnartsch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just got around to playing this nutty mission, and overall I enjoyed it. I completed every objective and could as well get back to the start and finish the mission – however I still have one key, a certain "fancy key" that I never found any use for. Did not see it mentioned on any forum either. I'm wondering if there is actually any lock that this key opens? Anyone else find this key?

Edit: aaand

I found the corresponding door right beside where I found the key

, so nevermind :wacko:

Edited by poronty

• 3 weeks later...

I just changed to a new system recently.

Since my old one was sooo crappy, I will replay all TDM missions.

But first of all I gave THIS mission a try, because I never was able to play it before.

Thanks for this mission, stumpy !

That was real fun !

(right now I play "Lord Dufford's")

• 1 month later...

Story begins in a modest, simple way. Go to a tower, loot it, and leave. No problem for a master thief, right?

"All who enter are never seen again"

Do not underestimate this warning!

Illusionist Tower is one of my new favourite FM's.

scary custom music/sounds. Map design is very creative, surprising, and sometimes bizarre.

Please make Illusionist's Tower 2. Mage/Illusionist towers are so fun!

Edited by Partol

• 4 months later...

Very nice mission. :D

I like a lot the great number of "tricks". :D

it took me a while to understand how to take the red key to exit.:unsure:

However, at certain points, I was getting a headache (like Portal 1/2). :laugh:

Edited by ECHELON

• 4 weeks later...

The teleportation stopped once it started to get a little annoying. I think it was decent, gameplay was a little freaky with that teleportation, going down the same halls and getting this eerie music that fit perfectly. The whole tower reminded me of a movie...

The Cube. The way the guy said theres a puzzle box at the basement of the Tower, that realigns itself every 8 days. The tower probably a reflection of it.

And that part with the ferry man, heh was random but amusing.

The spiders where pretty much blind, I suppose lack of light, but seriously the Tower was freaky enough not to need some weak spiders for anything. I think the premise of flesh eating cockroaches would be enough to keep us scared, funnily enough this is another FM from stumpy that does not feature a new creature where it suggested one was around :D

Grave diggers note was a tad weird. Why do the grave diggers go there? And what location where they talking about with the cockroaches?

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 2 years later...

What a weird level. There was a lot that was done excellently, and a lot that was, frankly, just ok.

But I think this is a mission everyone should play, and the type of mission more mappers should attempt. Just the audacity of the design is to be commended. Among FMs I've played, I think only "A Night to Remember" was as different as this as a full-scale mission. For different reasons, but the spirit of creativity runs through both. I have been batting around a level idea that is actually pretty similar to "Illusionist's..." in spirit at least, but my mapping skills aren't nearly there. So it's nice to see others trying similar stuff.

The Good:

- Realizing I was being teleported, and wrapping my mind around how that changed the level. Super cool moment.

- The loot chests that didn't close upon frobbing the "body" of them, just the top or keyhole. MUCH easier to get loot.

- The story elements, and the touches of horror with corpses of the search party and illusionist.

- Some of the visual set pieces were great, like the inventions, miniature puzzle room, and the Narnia cabinet room.

The Bad:

- Textures, in general, felt off.

- I applauded the visual set pieces earlier, but other parts of the level felt bland. I realize that a lot of it was based on repetition, but there was nothing defining many rooms other than walls and doors.

- Too much teleporting. The novelty wore off fast, and became tedious somewhere in the middle of the Roman numeral puzzle, or the staircase/loot grind.

- I guarantee most people got stuck at least once. I only had to refer to a walkthrough once, which I always hate doing. It actually turned out to be something I had tried (the cabinet teleport), but it just didn't work for me on the first go-through. The various "I'm stuck" posts in this thread tell the tale better than I. I did enjoy the challenge though.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice level. I really enjoyed it. Creepy indeed, with a nice sense of abandonment.

It needs some polishing up if you ask me. I liked the use of teleportation but it would be better if the where completely seamless (so you don't notice them happening.)

I could not find the fabolous treasure on my own, but I liked once I looked it up.

cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Here is my review with spoilers:

aHMIty.jpg

One of the most original and unconventional FM I've played. Also the most trippy. The illusions really confused me in the beginning until I discovered the trick.

THE GOOD

+I really liked that part with the floating platforms in the dark that align to form a bridge.

+I liked the part when everything is upside down.

+I loved the custom wall texture with the skulls (http://imageshack.co...8109/PtrOpY.jpg). It reminded me of the Hell level of Doom 3.

+I really liked that part with the ferryman (kinda like Greek mythology lol). It's random but is cool.

+The models are really cool.

+I liked the explanation for the spiders being loose, but I found no cockroach. Shame.

+The teleporting closet is nicely implemented.

+Great idea for the theme of the map and good execution.

+Story and readables are great.

THE BAD

-The beginning of the map is really slow and boring.

-After the slow start, the switch room puzzle was too hard and tedious for me. With a vague hint to solve the puzzle, I gave up and I came to this thread for the answer (thanks Komag!). I don't like doing this, and I only did it because I was bored. Fortunately, I started liking the map after this part.

-The constant teleportation went from interesting novelty to something dull quickly.

-Some rooms are too empty, and the fact that they are huge doesn't help.

Bug report:

*The "notes" section of the FM is kinda bugged (http://imageshack.co...2295/mo5d4q.jpg). The "OK" button is blocking some text. Nothing really important, is just annoying. Should be easy to fix.

*There is a chest with three short swords inside. Even though I already start the mission with a short sword, when I pick any of these swords, it "goes to my inventory" with the accompanying sound and message "acquired shortsword", and the short sword disappearing. It doesn't make any sense.

Thanks!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

• 7 months later...

No complaints re the mission. But I noticed an oddity; which I am unsure if is a bug/feature of TDM or of the mission. I put three boxes on top of each other onto the 1st elevator platform, and hit the Down button. The bottom box moved down with the platform, but the other two remained suspended in 'midair'.

I think that's due to the way the engine handles physics; see http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14017-making-traps/?p=294520

Oddly appropriate though for the mission; as I was not expecting it. If there is an update, I would suggest pre-adding boxes onto the platform in that fashion, and having a message or image on the bottoms.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Although it's an old topic, I assume it's ok to necropost in this case.

Bones on the floor often get me stuck while walking over them, not sure if this is limited to this mission alone. There is a part where there are lots of bones and they killed me somehow when I tried walking over them.

For the rest excellent mission. When I saw that door handle down in the stone wall in the beginning I new I was up for something special.

Btw. I tried to put a candle on the ground in the elevator, but when it starts moving it fell through the floor. Fortunately you can also click the elevator buttons with the candle (or maybe other objects).
(I wanted to put a lit candle in the closet on top)

Edited by datiswous