The Dark Mod Forums

Player Tip of the Day

Fidcal

Post any Dark Mod playing tips you have in this thread; anything you think some players might not know. Make sure it is complete and simple and clear so even I can understand you. :wacko:

So how do you get a crate or a big package up a rope?

There are a couple of ways I know to get ON the rope with a crate.

First, this is if there is a clearance ahead of the rope, ie not a wall in the way:

One is to place the crate on the ground or on a support on the other side of the rope but within reach. Now jump on the rope then frob the crate so you are carrying it.

Another way is to pick up the crate first then move up to the rope sideways then turn and swing the crate behind the rope. Now jump on the rope.

How do you get OFF the rope at the top? Say you are climbing up under an overhang? Rotate on the rope so the crate is away from the overhang and raise it as high as you can by looking up and using the 'push away' control (mouse wheel or inventory scroll.) Then carefully move around and up the rope level or close to the mantel position. Turn and lower the crate over the ledge, possibly throw it on (hold attack for more power.)

Roping up a wall with a big carryable, say to push it in a window, I've not tried out yet. Maybe you can place the crate on the ground near the rope. Get on the rope and turn outwards. I think that works. I think if there is clearance you rotate around a rope but if no clearance I think you rotate in front of it like in Thief (not sure.) Then look down and grab the crate. Anyone tried this?

While I'm talking ropes. You can hold crouch to slide down ropes and just tap crouch to change mode prior to getting off.

This should actually be a bug report, and is more of a slight variation on T2's forward-leaning KO exploit I found while standing on a slope a few months ago in one of the Christmas Contest missions (TDM 1.01 I think) that may now be obsolete, but regardless.

As the name says, one has to lean forward in the dark or out of the line of view in the direction from which a guard is approaching, then start swinging the blackjack so he gets hit before he is too close. He won't be knocked out, but it may be that he stands still and will let himself get battered to death in this fashion. It's lengthy and *very* noisy, but eventually he will drop dead.

In addition to hiding when an archer is shooting at you, you can pick up a moveable item and hold it in front of you to block the arrows. If it is made of wood, you may even get some free arrows.

in an ideal game setting the bowman would shoot a rope arrow at you to be caught by the wooden item you're using to shield yourself from them, then the bowman would climb up the rope deployed and batter you to death, and his, cos once yer dead whats holding the rope up.

in an ideal game setting the bowman would shoot a rope arrow at you to be caught by the wooden item you're using to shield yourself from them, then the bowman would climb up the rope deployed and batter you to death, and his, cos once yer dead whats holding the rope up.

Talking of rope arrows , how is it

you can use them to kill instantly. I was able to polish off a few haunts with them in Glenham Tower , but strangely not the undead in the mission. Also used them to kill guards in another mission .

Is this a Dark Mod flaw?

@ raymeld: and how did you do that??

Well ,

Just found that shooting it at them as you would a broadhead does the trick !

Found it out by chance , good weapon to have in a tight spot especially if you've run out of broadheads.

Killed the particular guard with one shot and not to the head. Can't remember the mission concerned . I suppose one shouldn't spoil the mission by using this ' weapon ' but I can't resist it sometimes !

Edited by raymeld

Talking of rope arrows , how is it

you can use them to kill instantly. I was able to polish off a few haunts with them in Glenham Tower , but strangely not the undead in the mission. Also used them to kill guards in another mission .

Is this a Dark Mod flaw?

It's probably something nobody ever tried to do in testing, so yeah, a TDM issue.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think they were intended to do regular damage to AI, but they're not supposed to affect undead.

Yeah, it should be fine to have rope-arrows with the same damage as broadheads. In fact, they are broadheads with rope attached, right?

Strange thing was , quite often it needs a head shot to bring someone down with a broadhead but not so a rope arrow. For me it seemed to inflict more damage on the AI .

When having difficulties to frob loot, especially little coins out of chests, I got the most success while leaning sideways.

There is also a little higher crouch-height available that allows you to lean into chests while crouched. Type the following into your DoomConfig.cfg(open with Notepad) to toggle the new and old crouchheight with one key: (also good for grabbing keys on AI´s) (*originally got this from Fidcal)

bind "KEY" "toggle pm_crouchheight 50 38;toggle pm_crouchviewheight 46 34"

It´s not working if you type it in the console, because the part after the ';' is not saved into the DoomConfig for some reason.

Don´t forget to set back to the lower height when climbing narrow passages or air ducts, because they often are limited to the lowest crouchsize and you can´t get in if you have the higher size activated.

• Like 1

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Dang, that other slightly higher crouch height option would be nice if it was officially supported somehow. Being able to be crouched and lean over open chests would be MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer than having to climb up on them

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I tried in vain to get it officially supported. Anyways, yes, as LEGION says, you have to remember if you can't mantle or crouch through a gap to think which mode you are in! Another example is crouching lower to frob something.

Here's another tip, not very un-obvious but I just done it earlier. If there is a brightly lit door you are reluctant to open blind but some shadow across the room then get behind the door to open it. Then circle away and around to the shadow across the room so you can look through the open door in safety before proceeding. Hope it's not an auto-door! ;)

You can use movers of any kind (Doors, chests) to reach higher areas with mantling, e.g. opening a door and mantling on it. However, as most mappers don't design their maps with this option in mind, you will likely reach places you're not supposed to reach. :)

I did hope that this technique would lead to some secrets in the vert contest entries... =)

I actually used that in my Thief FM to reach an interesting but non-critical room but many players didn't realize you could mantle onto doors.

As a player I also used it plus stacked health potions to almost reach a really difficult route in King's Story but was thwarted by a higher mantle blocked by an ovehang. Later I read there were rope arrows to be found but deviously hidden. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

So rope arrows cause as much damage as broadheads do? Does this mean we can shoot an AI with a roap arrow, say "get over here!" in that deep voice from mortal Kombat, and pull the body back to us? :)

Whenever i get items from a chest, I always lean forward because it is easier to grab them. It seems easier to pretend you have an invisible crosshair in the very center of your screen for tiny little ones.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I've noticed that you can only recover one broadhead arrow from a dead spider, even if you've pincushioned it. On some FMs a spider will run after being struck the first time, so to preserve arrows, shoot it once then chase it down with your sword.

By the way, has anyone tried to blackjack a spider? I remember that used to work in T1/T2. :P

207115_1788633687853_1599901965_31729336_1424191_n.jpg

Not tried it but it should be possible. Only Undead and the trainer dummy have ko_immune according to http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/doc/#spawnarg-ko_immune

I think only the last arrow, ie, the kill arrow is left in any AI for recovery by the player. I usually try a backstab on spiders first. I don't know if that has more potency than a sword attack on an alert AI like it did in Thief though.