Readable Editor Doesn't Work

Winter

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

crashes for both cases. been testing it on my own test FM's with new blank readables and readables in BD's St. Alban mission. Its a no go all around. me and BD just spent a 3 hour troubleshooting session on it and it seems pretty bleak.

the only untried easy-mode solution at this point is to try installing other versions of DR. otherwise some kind of voodoo will be needed.

Edited by ungoliant

Hmn, it seems the preview doesn't work for you. It's openGL, so I'd suggest to update your graphic card driver, though this is just an all-in guess. It's awkward though that it doesn't crash when you open an empty readable. This suggests that the Preview somehow does work.

grayman recently told me that upgrading drivers fixed his crashes:

Remember the discussion we had about the Readables Editor crashing on me?

I updated my ATI Catalyst drivers last night (9.3->10.8) and the problem went away.

I was able to open my largest readable and edit it w/o a problem.

Doh, I didnt think of that. But that said why does it only crash when he starts typing in the editor? just looking at a blank readable and its fine.. still OpenGl..?

Yeah, it's kind of weird. It might be related to the font-rendering, seeing that a blank page doesn't crash, but any page with content does. But as Greebo also says, Ungoliant should try updating his catalyst. His is fairly aged anyway.

yeah its 9.11, and I've been scared shitless of messing with the catalyst driver since i managed to fix DR of the crazy morphing textures and broken render view that made doing anything impossible without a full restart of DR. It took me like 8 hours of messing around with catalyst drivers to fix that thing, and I haven't touched it since for fear that it will come back.

I guess I'll roll the dice and update it though

Damn, that must be frustrating. To be honest, I am not sure how to proceed at this point in order to help you, because I am no professional programmer and the Readable Editor was my first participation in a bigger project. Also Greebo wrote the Preview-Renderer and if something is wrong with that, I can't help you out much. Sorry.

also just tried uninstalling DR 1.4 and installing 1.5.0pre4. same problem.

ok its GOT to be that damn preview window. i can put in an inventory name, change the XData name, change from 1 sided to 2 sided, insert pages, delete pages, change font and even switch from sheets to books, and the preview window will change from a sheet/scroll/book, and I can save all those settings, and it will create a new xdata file.

but if i type anywhere in the title or body? insta-crash.

Edited by ungoliant

um, yeah, i reinstalled 10.2 after uninstalling 9.11

edit: is this anything to worry about?

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book10page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book1page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book2page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book3page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book4page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book5page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book6page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book7page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book8page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Error while parsing guis/readables/test/book9page.gui: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required ";", found "}"

Edited by ungoliant

Close, BD. There seem to be formatting errors in the referenced gui-files. This might be a lead though. This is a long shot, but maybe deleting the folder "guis/readables/test/book9page.gui" would help. Where are those files from anyway?

Edit: Ah OK, Fidcal already answered the question. But still, if those guis are obsolete, why do you have them? :)

Putting that gui to one side...

For nearly 6hrs I have tried everything I can think of to try figure out why DR is crashing when he tried to edit a readable. The only thing left is that windows needs to be reinstalled and a sub issue to that is his windows CD isnt what you would call std....

Is there anything else anyone can think of before he has to resort to plan Z and reinstall Windows..?

Edited by Bikerdude

oooooo, ok i tried importing one of the prefabs as you mentioned fid, and something DIFFERENT happened!

a box popped up with this in it: "Failed to load gui definition guis/readables/scrolls/scroll_calig_medusa.gui. Do you want to open the import summary?"

also at this time, the preview window of the readable editor is messed up and shows my desktop or firefox window in it.

I answer "yes" and then a window pops up and it says: "Could not open file: guis/readables/scrolls/scroll_calig_medusa.gui"

now the window stays open and does not crash DR, but the preview window stays black, and every time i type a character in the title or body section, that first error box pops up with the same message.

now what on earth could all that mean?

Edited by ungoliant

It means that the gui definition could not be opened / found. I checked my tdm_gui01.pk4 and scroll_calig_medusa.gui isn't present there as well. So that one must've been deleted. Instead of a prefab, try starting with a readable entity through the "create entity"-menu. That should get rid of that error.

The prefabs need fixing here. Either the respective gui has to be reincluded or it has to be changed in the xdata definition.

I hope it works for you now... I'll add all the known fixes until now to the wiki soon.

the blank readables i was using before to test were made by the create entity option. i'll try some different prefabs and see what happens.

edit: this time tried using sheet_paper_calig_camberic, properly opens in readable editor now, but crashes when I start typing in body or title. dammit!!!

re-edit: interestingly i can use 'enter' to create line breaks in body/title, but the spacebar still causes the crash.

Edited by ungoliant