The Dark Mod Forums

Bioshock Infinite

Unstoppable

I liked the first game, but I had to work very hard to overcome suspension of disbelief at an under-ocean city. I don't think I'm capable of doing that for a floating one

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I could suspend my disbelief about the whole floating city premise, but everything reported about the demo shown to the press points to a game experience that hinges even more on set-piece encounters than Bioshock. Since those always take a lot of resources to code, we can most likely also expect a game that's very short and very linear. Maybe the themes and graphical candy will still be worth it enough to check it out. But expecting anything that'd compare to the classical "immersive sims" is over-optimistic.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Reminds me of something out of Jules Verne's world

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

The millions of tons of concrete, and heavy building materials various others are a little far fetched. It would have been more believable if it was made from more wood, steal, and other such lighter metalials.

But who cares, it's Bioshock, I can't wait :) Specially to see how they've done all the art and effects.

18588.png

maybe its made from plastickconcrete and transparent aluminum. although buckyball steel is very light compared to normal steel, and materails like carbon fibres and resin is very light as well. although if you stick something in geostatic-orbit and hang stuff off it like buildings the rotation of the earth trying to fling the thing in orbit out into space and things dangling off it into the earths atmosphere would balance out and they would stay where they are. eg like a space elevator.

Off-shore oil rigs are massive, 50-odd story structures, heavy, all steel & concrete, and floating. And air-craft carriers are essentially floating cities. You can float anything as long as you displace enough water. So I don't find it beyond the realm of imaginable at all; just very expensive and of questionable utility.

Edit: lol, obviously written before I saw the video. :laugh:

Ok, so ... change that to "you can float anything as long as you displace enough air."

That's going to take a lot of hot air, though.

Edit2: BTW, this reminds me of a special on the Science channel about colonizing other planets. The punchline was we could actually have a colony on Venus where the temperature & air-pressure is sustainable for humans ... if it's floating about 20 miles above the surface. Then it went on to describe how creating such a floating city might work.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

So 10 minutes of Bioshock Infinite gameplay are now available. Question is why should you give a flying 2 cents for this game.

Well have a look at the first 20 seconds. Recognize that voice? What about before the voice what looks to be some similar use of cut scene from some other game people on here cherish.

http://kotaku.com/5644075/ten-minute...shock-infinite

Well in case you didn't know the cut scene is eerily similar to that of the Thief games. Even more creepy is the fact that the voice actor is Garett himself. Steven Russel appears to be the main actor in Bioshock Infinite.

Please insert your credit card, cash, or hell just give them your wallet at the nearest local store for your pre order. I just got owned by Irrational games.

Edited by Unstoppable

Yeah, but it makes me also think: "If you don´t know where to go or what to do you gonna die a thousand deaths, because there is no time to breathe..."

Also I don´t like how the girl, Elisabeth, looks. Her art-style I mean.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

10 Minutes of Bioshock Infinite Footage

Looks ... interesting. Maybe not my cup of tea, given what looks like an insane amount of scripting, but it would be worth at least one playthrough.

Edited by Stormbringer951
Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

The gameplay trailer is just awesome. Will it be a good game? Dunno. But at least it looks cool as an interactive movie.

Girl could be a bit flatter, though, strange as that may sound.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 years later...

I can't believe nobody said a word around the forums how amazing this game looks. The art direction is the best I have ever seen in a game until now. The levels are very dynamic and feel vivid. Aside from that, the game also has a great atmosphere and voice acting, and it is actually quite long, considering it's a shooter. I haven't finished it completely yet, but I got quite a few hours out of the game so far. I highly recommend this game!!