The Dark Mod Forums

Vert Contest Mission : The Rift by Baddcog : Aug 15, 2010

Baddcog

The Rift by Baddcog : VC2010  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

I voted 'only' good here, based on my experience with some of the patches in the beta release, and spotting a few instances of z-fighting. If those were fixed for the final release, then this map deserves a Very good/Very good/Good, and I'll change my vote to display this :D

(disclaimer: my vote is formed based on the incomplete beta)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Fixes were made, though I think one z fight still got won ;)

(I added a little something that the testers haven't seen either. - all the objectives and whatnot still worked so I didn't see a need for further testing)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Fixes were made, though I think one z fight still got won ;)

(I added a little something that the testers haven't seen either. - all the objectives and whatnot still worked so I didn't see a need for further testing)

Oh really? Think I'll download the new version when it gets hosted on the main mirrors, then resubmit my vote :) Give this FM the love it deserves.

Yeah, the z-fighting I saw was on some pretty small brushes so I felt guilty for even mentioning it given the trouble it'd take to fix...

I'm glad you polished this one up Baddcog.

I will eagerly await the mirrors. :D

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Oh no, is the limit already achieved? No, don´t think so because it seems available, but I was only able to download a very little (48.8 kb) .html file called 'rift.zip.html' and now I have to wait 14 minutes to try again, that´s not fair... :(

edit: 11 minutes left

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Most of the time fixing z-fighting is quite easy (in my experience)..... the trouble is finding it, especially if it occurs in an area with a lot of repeated pieces, like in a tunnel... I figured my wide screenshots would help to give away the location of the z-fighting, otherwise I probably would have just found them in the editor and fixed them myself (which doesn't help the main FM).

I´m still new to DR, so: does this mean that the z-fighting is not as visible as it is in game? Can you recognize it in DR? And if it´s answerable in one sentence: What is the cause & cure for z-fighting?

edit: 8 minutes left that I have to linger here.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Z-fighting is visible in the editor, it appears jagged same as in the game itself. Z-fighting is caused when 2 brushes overlap each other flush to each other, and the game is trying to render both surfaces at the same time, so you'll see parts of both trying to show in the same space. The easiest ways to fix z-fighting are to make one of the brushes thinner so it fully goes inside the other, or to shrink it backwards so it ends where the other one starts, like holding 2 pieces of wood together.

Thanks very much for that info.

Dammit, first RapidShare said time is up, but I was able to start the 30-sec-countdown again and I tried to save the file another way, but again this .html-crap. Now again 15 minutes to wait.

Next time I just try 'save to folder' in FireFox. RapidShare seems not to like my 'DownloadHelper/DownThemAll'-plugin.

I really hope, that I not wasted 2 dl-accounts out of the 10 available, really. :unsure:

edit: finally I´m able to download, though not very steady, once I got 500kb/s and then 0kb/s. Oh, it´s done. Yes, it really is a zip-file! :) Start thieving now...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Yeah, the hardest part was finding the z-fighting areas just beacuse of the terrain there. But your shots helped alot. I just think I saw a tiny bit on a final fly through. compile again for one little spot? nah.

I don't know Legion, are you right-click save as on the link? I think just click it and it should go straight there. I didn't test as I didn't want to wastte one ;)

The last time I tried the right-click, but that´s not working. I got it working as I chose the stock FireFox-save-option. My Download-plugins must have been the cause, though, I never got this trouble before. I really hope, I didn´t wasted downloads, if I did, than I´m really sorry. But the mirror-people must be on their way... ;)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I've seen a bunch of final release FM's that have a spot or two of z-fighting in them, so I wouldn't fret too much Baddcog, I guess I'm just sensitive to z-fighting because my first attempt at an FM had so much damn z-fighting in it that I have a sixth sense for it.

Baddcog,

This one is great!

The thing that strikes me most about this one are the visuals. The beginning was looking good

I kinda wanted to explore the town :D

in the actual rift there were some stretched textures, and some misaligned textures, but other than that, the rest was fine. The mineshaft really looked and felt like a mineshaft. When I got to the secret treasure place, when I surfaced and looked up at the entrance I thought "Woah, thats pretty".

Half-way through the rift, there was some ambience playing that had some organs in it. But it sounded out of place, like there was a carnival in the distance :P

I completed all the objectives, but I couldn't finish it because I had a quicksave crash and it killed my save, so Doom3 would crash whenever I loaded my game (this also happened on Sotha's FM).

Nice job BC :)

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Thanks guys.

The stretched stone was an attempt to make it look like those racks had recently scraped against each other in major shifts. There are still a few brushes that I thought would've looked better if not stretched so much but I wasn't being too picky. :)

Did you find the treasure?

This reminded me a lot of Lost City in T1. I experienced, though, unfrobabble lot, noticeably in the

throne room and the secret treasure tower. I also loved the Church part, i felt like i outsmarted the patrolling dudes outside

. I also had and still have, throught the mission, an incredibly low FPS rate (only one? hopefully). Two questions:

Is it possible to get past that gate where you look to a blaison with crossed axes, into that room? And is there anything in that place across the fallen bridge, or is that just former connection from the lord's grounds?

I have yet to finish it though, and on my way back ill explore it more throughtly - other than that i pretty much mopped up the objective list.

@ GC

Not that I've seen, but I can do the whole thing on hard, ghosted with all objectives, in about 30m, so this is acceptable to me

@ Igor

If you use noclip in the console, both of those areas are empty, they're just there to add a feeling of size to the place.

@ Baddcog

Treasure tower? I don't think I missed anything really noticeable in the loot department, is this something that I've missed that doesn't necessarily count towards the loot total? Curious now!

Edited by Xarg

@Xarg

about the tower, I´m sure he means the left tower of the tomb, that triggers/checks a bonus objective and also there is a lot of loot.

First of all, before I forget: In the last area I head a low framerate, but quicksaving and quickloading got rid of it, but after a while the low FPS came back. So quicksave/load gets rid of it again and gratefully there are no ambient-bugs after quickloading! I tested every ambient-area with quicksave/load and everytime the ambient song was correct and on correct volume, nice that is! :)

That was a real nice mission, great atmosphere.

(I too think that the organs were a little bit out of place, but only a little) It took me 2:48:45 hours and I found 3336 out of 4514 gp´s.

To be honest, while going back I had a feeling that I almost found every loot, oh how big was the disappointment as I saw the stats-screen. Damn, where is the rest? Never I get near all the loot in a mission...

Some bugs, though:

-The guard above the rift-entrance fell down as he saw me in town and got tuck on an invisible floor between the first 'story' of the rift and the entrance.

-I played on Hard and as I got my 800 loot (objective) it was not checked, only as I got an item that gave me 1154 it was checked.

-there was one line too much between the last two objectives. wink.gif

-no readme, no mention of the betatesters and no loading-screen? (for such a nice mission it´s a no-go, me thinks)

-I saw one z-fighting on the right side of the tomb, outside near the water, a thin line on the red brick.

Gameplay:

Until now it was the best vertical 'feeling' and climbing/rope-arrowing was really a great fun! No frustration-points* either.

Hardest place maybe was right at the beginning. I couldn´t help but blackjack the builder and the employee of the city watch walking there to look what´s there around the corner.

Overall it was great entertainment, but too short. :)

Side note: exactly one second after I thought 'Hmm, it´s getting boring down here.' I heard noise from what was lingering in the mine-shaft. That gave me a big grin. :)

well, I got frustrated on this place:

post-3744-128195000813_thumb.jpg

Desperately I tried to rope-swing onto the rock there and finally did it. The next challenge was to jump over the rocks onto the lit area back there without sliding off the rocks. But as I finally got there, nothing to be found? That was one reason I got the idea I found almost all the loot...

Appearance:

The starting area was very beautiful, too bad it was that short. The cave/rift-area was very well done, too. And the climbing spots and wood-structures were very fitting and I had nowhere the feeling that something is out of place. The pitch black mine-shaft were the best part for me because of the tension caused by the darkness and the two fellows wandering there. The area could have been bigger, though. The hidden tomb was a nice sight too, but inside it was missing some decals for my taste, also here I would´ve liked a bigger area to explore in the tomb.

Overall the areas were very nice built and fitted the environment.

Story:

Besides the briefing and one book there was no story told.(or did I miss a readable?) At least not in words. The descend down into the rift and finally to the tomb was the real storytelling and most important part. I would´ve liked more info about the tomb and his residents and also I would have liked some reason for the appearance of the Undead as well.

My summary: I was very well entertained. :)

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Just double checked, this

Treasure tower

must be in the final release, all I got for taking a look was a massive fps hit as the entire level showed up.