The Dark Mod Forums

Vert Contest Mission : The Rift by Baddcog : Aug 15, 2010

Baddcog

The Rift by Baddcog : VC2010  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

I wonder if one loot related bug could be fixed with TDM 1.08 coming soon:

down in the Rift there is a thron-room with a chest and a goblet inside.

But there is no way at all to frob that goblet (worth 50) - even if you get it out of the chest using brute methods.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, i've heard that quite a few people seem to not understand how rope arrows work.

i've also heard people want a huge sprwling underground metropolis, but seeing how it was a VERT contest and the horizontal space was limited. Time too, I made a mad dash last two weeks of the concept to make it and turn it in on time.

thanks for the positive feedback though :)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

thanks for the positive feedback though :)

serious :mellow:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Next time you might want to frame things in terms of suggestions for improvement, rather than complaining about what isn't your "cup of tea".

I wonder if one loot related bug could be fixed with TDM 1.08 coming soon:

down in the Rift there is a thron-room with a chest and a goblet inside.

But there is no way at all to frob that goblet (worth 50) - even if you get it out of the chest using brute methods.

there are a few bugs i SHOULD fix. I have even had occassional thoughts about expading it somewhat since the contest is long over... time... motivation...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

What we were trying to say is that you did not "suggest", you did complain.

If you had said for example that it is an unlucky design choice, if the mapper raises higher expectation in the mission then he is planning to fulfill and therefore unnecessary lowers the quality of his work, it would have been something else.

It is no problem if you criticise, but criticism should always be constructive. You should also try to criticise what may not be good in general, instead of bothering about what you don't like or what is "not your cup of tea".

However...nevermind. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's also worth remembering that mission creators put months of effort into creating something, for free, for you to play. Making maps is not an easy job, and the people who do it are the engine that keeps TDM alive. Crapping on their efforts with comments that essentially boil down to "this sux" are harmful and unwelcome.

• 1 year later...

This was a cool little mission, I think some people might be put-off at the start though if they think it's yet another mansion heist.

Realising that you have to go down into the rift at the start was pretty exciting, and going down through the various levels was a little scary.

The fact that the lost structure at the bottom was so deep down was really interesting - it reminded me of playing Minecraft and digging massive tunnels down into the ground and really feeling that you're in the bowels of the earth. I think considering that this was a contest mod, it succeeded in creating this feeling quite well.

Wandering around at the bottom was slightly confusing as to what the next step was, but after checking here and realising that you have to go back... well, it seemed pretty tricky but wasn't as bad as it looked.

The access to the church was perhaps a little too well hidden, I didn't play on the hardest level so didn't get any hints about it, however it was also a nicely done extra area.

• 9 months later...

Here is my quick review with spoilers:

When I read the summary of the FM I thought "oh no, another mansion mission". But to my surprise, the objective of the mission soon changes at the beginning and it becomes a cave mission.

THE GOOD
+Good use of vertical theme.
+The appearance of the cave is generally good.
+Good use of ambient sounds.
+Good use of textures in general.
+Loved the part of "Treasure Trove of the Ancient Nua Pua Peoples".
+Good variety of enemies.
+Simple and fun mission, adequate for a quick playthrough.

THE BAD
-The outside of the map is a bit too simple, but it's ok, considering that this map was made for a contest.
-Little amount of readables.

Bug report:
*This mission is so bugged that it ends up breaking the immersion. Sorry.

Here are the bugs that I found, with description on the image when necessary: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7VOieCLUVeDOFRHcExwZnJRbXc&usp=sharing

Edited by Jon Irenicus

You're going to laugh, but when I first played this mission, I didn't know that you were supposed to go down in the rift. I just looted the church and koed some guards and thought that was it.

What a fantastic mission!

So much fun going down into the hole in ground.

Thanks for making this, and I really think you should revisit this to clean it up, so much potential here!

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 1 year later...

''thus hiding something under weight is a good way to keep it hidden from heathens''

well. am almost ready to go back in my room but first I have one question about priest's mantra ..is this a clue for something? I can't find anything else in the church.. And btw, playing the middle dif, the in-game shop had only one water arrow... which thought it was strange... so I had a bad time down there..and I found no water arrows in the water area..That's why I tried to enter from

the left window and then non-cliped to enter the area from behind them..

Other than that undead things, I liked your mission a lot!! Thank you Baddcog !!