The Dark Mod Forums

Whens a new client update coming?

HalfKaztBoy

I'm just wondering if there is a new client coming in any time soon? I don't have a very big download limit and I don't want to spend what little gigs I have available on something that is gonna be outdated anytime soon.

Does anyone know aproximetely if there is gonna be a new client out anytime soon because if there is I'm just gonna wait for it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be this month. It's a big effort to get it together and few that can do it. Certainly it won't even be considered until the new female voices are finalized I'm sure. Might not even be September imo. You might want to wait for another opinion but that's my confident view.

It won't be this month. It's a big effort to get it together and few that can do it. Certainly it won't even be considered until the new female voices are finalized I'm sure. Might not even be September imo. You might want to wait for another opinion but that's my confident view.

If I download the client now and then there is a new update, can I just download a patch that updates the client or do I need to download the new client entirely?

You just need to run the updater to either :

• Download the entire of TDM if you don't have it at all
  • Want to update your version to the latest

Should you download everything now you will have playable TDM, and then running the updater again when the new version is out it will fetch any newer files. Updates are still a fairly large download, the files are quite large collections and any changes in them will result in the full file being fetched.

The next update is however quite a while away, as with all good things :)

• 1 month later...

1) Springheel is waiting on vocals.

2) Horse is being fixed?

3) "Damagable" system SDK framework is being upgraded...?

4) The devs need to put a tiny unfathomable flaw into the code and let grayman try to fix it (for hazing purposes). ;)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 weeks later...

If they go crazy with these fixes, it may take awhile:

Code

id Software had the habit to add a small class for almost each feature needed, instead of combining the features into one class. This leads to situation where one entity can do X, the next can do Y, but none can do X and Y at the same time. Before we only added code to the code base, and fixed bugs. With v1.03 we also started an effort on C++ code cleanup. That means:

• combining features into one spawnclass instead of distributing it over or duplicating it at several
  • removing unnec. classes (idFuncRadioChatter, idDoor, idElevator, idTarget_EnableStamina, idAFEntity_ClawFourFingers, anything related to the PDA, idTarget_Tip etc.)
  • adding small utility functions (like ToString() to the idBounds class)
  • improving the performance of idlib classes (the idList class has seen improvements upon adding another list to it, f.i.)
  • We also no longer include and use some AI scripts from the base,working towards our goal of a D3-free TDM

This is ongoing work, but it will contribute to making TDM better overall, in small steps.

...but that could lead to significant reduced CPU overhead and rock-solid code if I read things correctly... So it'll be worth the (excruciating) wait :D... I think :unsure:

Too many cool upgrades in v1.03...

I got this from the Wiki.

I suspect that they will just keep fixing and improving things 'till the ladies are finished (and maybe just a little after if they were in the middle of things...)

The list of improvements keeps growing more impressive though...

I guess the word "we" in that quoted paragraph can be interpreted in various ways...

However, I need to add that folks shouldn't get their mouth too watered about a "D3-free" mod, this is something they won't see in a long time, probably many years if ever. Also, it's not really a team goal, as often stated, it's rather a Tels goal, which is definitely not the same thing. ;)

Another misconception seems to be that there is an army of people working behind the curtains with lots of stuff happening all the time. This is not really the case. Although the picture got a tad brighter recently.

Nonetheless all that has been done and is being done is very impressive.

Thanks you for all your past and present efforts.

Hopefully with all these high-profile Thief mappers showing interest in the mod, more folks will come out of the wood-work to help out. :)

There's more than just a few misleading statements in that quote. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that the wiki can be modified by anyone, and not everyone on the team actually speaks for the entire team, even when they think they do.

Wohooo, now I really can´t wait to peek in that infamous internal forums... :laugh:

It´s a shame that C++ is so complicated (to me), but there are (it seems) a lot of talented people over there at TTLG, sooner or later they just HAVE to come & help here.

OTAH, if they get word of that 'erase_Thief'-conspiracy... (I still wonder where that seriousness about this came from)

Well, still TDM is just released couple of months ago and I think when we finally have the girls online, we´ll see...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Wohooo, now I really can´t wait to peek in that infamous internal forums... :laugh:

They're not really exciting, the post activity is quite slow and they're also quite messy as things evolve etc. There's a lot of bad/old info on them and it'd cause more questions than answers by a miiile. If there's something big-ish interesting going on you guys will know about it, well... mostly. If someone doesn't want to make their work known that's also up to them and it offers that kind of nice little surprise factor.

The idea isnt meant to be that it's some super swanky old-boys club or something, it's mostly just to keep things structured, less noisy and less confusing.

Well, still TDM is just released couple of months ago

It will be a year in less than a week.

I guess the word "we" in that quoted paragraph can be interpreted in various ways...

However, I need to add that folks shouldn't get their mouth too watered about a "D3-free" mod, this is something they won't see in a long time, probably many years if ever. Also, it's not really a team goal, as often stated, it's rather a Tels goal, which is definitely not the same thing. ;)

I still count myself as part of the "team", tho :) Anyway, before D3 goes open-source, a D3-free TDM will not happen, so nobody should hold their breath. That *i* in the meantime work in very tiny small steps towards that goal isn't something that might make it real, it just helps. (You can compare that to "cleaning the garden" while the overall goal is to build a new house. Eventually, the garden will need to be cleaned, but the overall goal isn't much closer if the house is still missing the roof :)

Another misconception seems to be that there is an army of people working behind the curtains with lots of stuff happening all the time. This is not really the case. Although the picture got a tad brighter recently.

Yeah, but we still have WAY less manpower than we need.

At this time I'd like to ask again for some help. Even if you can't code, even if you can't do textures, are no modeller or sound guy, you could still help. For instance, go through our bugtracker, and fetch any old bug that is still not resolved. Then:

* see if you can reproduce this bug

* if you can, build a very small testmap that shows the bug in question

* upload the map to the tracker and leave a note that you did so

* if you can't verify the bug (e.g. it no longer happens even with v1.02), please set the bug to "resolved with v1.03", close the bug and add a note that you did so "why"

That alone would really help us a lot.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I didn´t noticed. What a bunch of workaholics, expanding the list right before release... :laugh:

Don't get you panties in a twist - I just wrote down what we did the last months, that's not something I just worked on yesterday :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax