The Dark Mod Forums

Whens a new client update coming?

HalfKaztBoy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no and no. :)

I just removed the open issues to address a question in another thread around here. The previous roadmap state made people believe that we're still adding things to the todo list - which is not the case, it's just that the bugtracker software defaults to TDM 1.03 as target version for new items. Now, it seems that step caused even more confusion, as people believe we're done and we are ready to ship any minute. This is also untrue.

Not having any open items on the roadmap is completely unrelated to the actual packaging, which can take a long time due to the complexity of the process and the fact that it's hard to find people with time to look into it.

(I still get the impression that people tend to believe there was some large army working behind the scenes in the private forums and the TDM team was trying to hide stuff from the public. Both is not true, we repeatedly stated that we just have a serious lack in time and team members.)

Nobody should hold their breath on the release, we're still far from being able to ship the new set of PK4s. The reality is that nobody is spending much time on getting the release ready, which has many reasons.

Is there maybe a stupid task that just consumes time but not depends on knowledge that someone like me could do?

Maybe packing and repacking stuff and such?

Not that I'm aware of. It's partially due to the way our update process works. Hopefully there is a way to improve that and make updates easier.

if a working not-too-buggy hdr implementation is in 1.03 then take another 6 months for all i care. just do it right. take your time, boys.

1.03 will not have full HDR...but it will have enhanced visuals..call it HDR Lite if you wish. A new 'optional' bloom implementation has been included, as well as some optional post processing effects.

We worked with JC Denton to get a full HDR working for many months, but it simply wasn't possible due to many technical hurdles.

Amongst other things, HDR broke fog...which required yet another performance intensive fix to correct.

HDR simply wasn't viable. What has to be considered is that TDM has a lot more overhead than vanilla D3. Whatever the performance drop would be in vanilla D3, it would be considerably more in TDM due to the AI, sound prop, light gem calculation...stim response system...you get the picture.

JC suggested waiting for the D3 source code so he could make a 'properly optimized' HDR. He then took a different route, and the improvement is noticeable. :)

Nobody should hold their breath on the release, we're still far from being able to ship the new set of PK4s.

Hm, okay, good to know. My lips are turnin' blue here. :-D

Once my RL busy streak is over I'll consider getting my FM out for 1.02, instead of waiting 1.03

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

removing unnec. classes (idFuncRadioChatter, idDoor, idElevator, idTarget_EnableStamina, idAFEntity_ClawFourFingers, anything related to the PDA, idTarget_Tip etc.)

Just saw this in that wiki quote above. I would recommend against removing idAFEntity_ClawFourFingers. First, someone might want to use that in a puzzle for their map, like the original one that was in D3 except perhaps with more appropriate levers/knobs rather than a GUI. Second, we can learn a lot from how these various AF classes are put together, as we continue to fix bugs and expand the functionality of AFs. There's no sense taking it out and making people go back to the vanilla D3 SDK to find it when it could still potentially be useful.

There's no sense taking it out and making people go back to the vanilla D3 SDK to find it when it could still potentially be useful.

It also has been removed a long time ago, and it doesn't work with the rest of our code or classes, anyway.

The code is still in SVN, too, you can look directly at it with "svn diff". I can even give you the revision number.

Plus, "potentially useful" isn't a good indicator, anything and everything could be potentially useful, even garbage. But that doesn't mean we should keep it. It only serves as a distraction in the best case. :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hmmm. HDR eh?

Is that "HDR" as in just the high dynamic rendering with floating point and all that or is that "HDR" with the "pretty-hard-to-get-used-to eye-adjustment" effect also? Features in games often put those two together and confuse people like me with the actual meaning. :P

And no,I don't think it's that necessary either way. If it's just a tricked out bloom it could potentially help to "soften" out the otherwise hard graphics that the D3 engine produces, but the already existent bloom does a pretty good job on its own. :)

Hmmm. HDR eh?

Is that "HDR" as in just the high dynamic rendering with floating point and all that or is that "HDR" with the "pretty-hard-to-get-used-to eye-adjustment" effect also? Features in games often put those two together and confuse people like me with the actual meaning. :P

Yeah, this is called "Tone Mapping" ;)

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

RE the lack of TDM staff.

I can practically guarantee that if a Team Member (enrolled at Moddb) updated Moddb every time a new FM was released that there would be more exposure and thus more applicants.

Folks don't check the Doom 3 section at Moddb very often because:

1) They presume that all the Mods for Doom 3 are shitty flashlight decal mods and shader tweak mods

2) They know that that updates for Doom 3 mods take eons to show-up

3) They don't even know that there are active mods for Doom 3 anymore

Given the frequency of Moddb updates, there are probably folk that think TDM is dead. I posted on Quake3world the other day and one of the mappers who had seen the mod was not aware that it was released.

If you are all too busy to update Moddb, I would be willing to do so and I am sure others here would offer their assistance.

This is especially relevant as Bikerdude is pending the release of a really great FM... It's a great promotional opportunity... ;)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

All a Mod at Moddb has to do to hit the Front Page is have any Team Member leave a comment. If someone were a real jerk, they could just post "Hi Guys!" every day and always be listed when folks visit the site. :laugh: Serpentine made TDM hit the front page the other day by replying to support question! :laugh:

Most mods would post something if a fraction of a level were completed, TDM can let 20 FM's go by before an update is posted.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I agree with nbohr1more. I see some updates over moddb that contains very little info but still do the job on taking the attention of the community. Sometimes I check some cool looking mods on main page's latest articles. So, as long as it's on the main page of moddb and have a cool/interesting lookin' picture it'll take some attention for sure.

It's a great promotional opportunity... ;)

Precisely, this mod needs a BIG promotion! And I say BIG 'cause with MWLL it's an example of what a modders team can do!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

It also has been removed a long time ago, and it doesn't work with the rest of our code or classes, anyway.

The code is still in SVN, too, you can look directly at it with "svn diff". I can even give you the revision number.

Plus, "potentially useful" isn't a good indicator, anything and everything could be potentially useful, even garbage. But that doesn't mean we should keep it. It only serves as a distraction in the best case. :)

Okay, not what I would have done. Our setting includes industrial steampunk factories, and you think no one would ever want a crane that can pick things up in their map?

But I don't have time to help out at the moment so I can't level too much criticism at people still doing work :).

Precisely, this mod needs a BIG promotion! And I say BIG 'cause with MWLL it's an example of what a modders team can do!

Exactly this. I advertise TDM in my clan forum signature, and will probably put it in my official forum signature, hopefully more people come check this mod out :)

[shameless plug] MWLL was played for Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) at the Portland Cthulhucon/HP Lovecraft Sci-fi/fantasy convention, and some of the original BT guys were there. Was pretty fun being in the Megamek game they were broadcasting live to the audience before they put MWLL on. [/shameless plug]

Maybe some kind of thing like this? A TDM presence at a steampunk convention perhaps?

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Okay, not what I would have done. Our setting includes industrial steampunk factories, and you think no one would ever want a crane that can pick things up in their map?

But I don't have time to help out at the moment so I can't level too much criticism at people still doing work :).

No, no, its okay :) I explained myself badly. Not that a crane isn't useful, it is that the ID four finger claw and code are not that useful. The AF is something we can't ship due to copyright issues, so someone would have first to make a new one. And the code removed was quite simplistic, something you can rewrite in 10 minutes even without looking at the old code. Plus, we would want to do it differently, so it ties into our own AI framework.

What I was doing there is extending greeebos work (remove the PDA) and remove all the small unnec. classes that id had littered all over the code with hard-coded stuff in it. They have almost for every feature their own class, instead of having a class which has the (mostly) all the features. (And almost nothing is documented, either, except some small comments in the header files). Their way was a bit too hard-coded in code, whereas we want the mappers to select things with spawnargs instead (because mappers can't just recompile the mod for a small change).

Hope that makes it a bit more clear for the intention behind the cleanup.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

A slashdot posting would also be nice. Covering the open source angle, id software, sounds like the ideal slashdot topic to me.

If you are all too busy to update Moddb, I would be willing to do so and I am sure others here would offer their assistance.

This is especially relevant as Bikerdude is pending the release of a really great FM... It's a great promotional opportunity... ;)

HappyCheeze (sp?) updated moddb for us, you should PM him, and see if he can make more frequent updates. If not, I'd not complain if somebody else does this :) moddb exposure is good.