The Dark Mod Forums

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

DeTeEff

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry  

58 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

@ thiefette: as far as I recognized it this is a new 1.08 feature :D

didn't tried it out yet, but I guess I'll have to :P

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 1 month later...

Fun mission although some parts are tough, just require adequate exploration. I found the story to be alright eventhough it would be nice to really get to the bottom of things and necromancy behind it but maybe I'm just being to greedy. There is something that I liked alot and thats probably escape & and climbing up to that tower. I always love towers/castles in general so that may be just me.

Difficulty is fairly middle ground for me, I didn't find anything particularly annoying beside trying to find the key for the desk and therefore the central tower.

That central tower with the 2 builder guards patrolling outside. This area also lags alot, or is it just me?

You said you worked on Duke3d, any levels I know of?

Edited by TheUnbeholden

Fun mission although some parts are tough, just require adequate exploration. I found the story to be alright eventhough it would be nice to really get to the bottom of things and necromancy behind it but maybe I'm just being to greedy. There is something that I liked alot and thats probably escape & and climbing up to that tower. I always love towers/castles in general so that may be just me.

Difficulty is fairly middle ground for me, I didn't find anything particularly annoying beside trying to find the key for the desk and therefore the central tower.

That central tower with the 2 builder guards patrolling outside. This area also lags alot, or is it just me?

You said you worked on Duke3d, any levels I know of?

Glad you liked it!

I actually played my mission the other day and got frustrated over my keyhunts. The level look bland with uninspiring patrols and lots of unoptimized and boring areas. And the architecture is just WUTA, but it was an experiment as well as the story...But it's nice to see how I've improved my work over my small mapping career :) My current mission is WAY more realistic in every sense :)

Regarding Duke-maps: Naah, only half finished crap that never got released to the public, but then again, I didn't have a proper internet connection back then...

WTF is WUTA?

Way Up The Ass

Edited by Fieldmedic

• 10 months later...

I found this to be very boring and frustrating to play. It is way too long especially because there is an utter lack of proper pacing and the way it is designed is maddening. For example, the key to the priest's drawer being hidden under the towels in the cubboard. There are no clues whatsoever that would suggest it would be there. I would accept it if it were a secret, but it is an essential objective. How was I supposed to know the priest had the only key to the tower? I did not even come close to getting all of the loot despite looking pretty much everywhere and for some reason the objective to find out the secret behind the strange happenings would not complete even though I found out the secret. The mapping was quite inspired in places but for most of it it was just too samey (that is to say if you could even see the mapping seeing as the level was so dark). I think the map could have done with some more reading material as well.

I gave it 2/3/2. There was a lot of potential but it was just squandered IMO. If this really was your first mission though then I have to say it's an impressive start.

• 1 month later...

This is my first map and it is a quite unique map, architecturally speaking.

This is your first map?! Holy crap man, you are truly talented! Indeed, a unique map.

I enjoyed playing this for the most part. Just finished on Expert.

The difficulty is just right most of the time, but there were times when things got really tough or boring.

And I agree with what Bridge said about the key to the priest's drawer. That definitely needed some kind of clue. Luckily, I was able to find the key with relative ease because of my habit of frobbing itens.

One of the things that I really liked was breaking the windows!

I also enjoyed getting up the next floor of the Builders building by using the rope arrow! It reminded me a lot of the Thief: The Dark Project mission The Lost City.

And the beginning of the mission reminded me of the mission Break From Cragscleft Prison from the same game.

Last, but not least, the story is really well done, as are the readable materials! The end is anti-climatic though.

Awesome work Fieldmedic, thanks!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

• 10 months later...

I found it very cool to play!

1 - (ok -

hehe) But I cannot complete the objective that tells us to discover about what causes the abnormality? (can someone pm me on that? what triggers it?) I am not sure if it bugged here or if I missed something because I have already walked everywhere (from prison to top tower) two times and nothing changed...

2 - (ok) [EDIT: just found it :blush:] Btw, I could not find the key to the control tower, so I had to shoot a rope arrow at the ceiling edge from a window eaves (after jumping on it from a cannon). That was actually very cool and difficult (required many loadgames) but I am not sure it was intended tho? :)

thx!

Edited by Gussak

"truth is a pathless land" - read Jiddu Krishnamurti

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This was very nice, one of the most fun missions I played lately! I actually tried it months ago first, but gave up when I couldn't climb the tower with rope arrows (I was still a noob at the time).

What I enjoyed most of all and think this mission did a great job at was diversity: You start in a mine filled with undead, make your way out to a collapsed wooden tower, then eventually to what looks like a clean modern castle. Most TDM levels are monotonic and don't offer much change in scenery, and with it a better feeling of progress. Additionally you have to use multiple types of skills and mechanics, such as climbing and moving objects out of the way. I'd gladly offer this as an example of what I want to see in TDM more often :)

Overall, the mapping and quality were good, the gameplay pretty fun and not boring, and the story was okay for what you can expect in a single TDM mission. Very good work!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just finished this mission. It was one surprise after another. I expected something like: get out of the mine full of zombies and then - change! Ok, wooden structure full of zombies - change again! :-)

You have definitely +1 point for various environments packed seamlessly into one level. I also like the vertical design of the level and especially need to use rope arrows.

Just one complain: jumping and climbing in mines was difficult as hell due to a bit wrong geometry I think.

But it was very good mission and I enjoyed it, thank you!

• 7 months later...

LOOT

Playing on Expert, I couldn't end the mission because I only retrieved 2344 out of 2700 needed. I found a loot list and apparently I'm missing 175 in Jewels ( I have 0), but the list doesn't mention any gems at all. Also, 2 items mentioned I'm pretty sure I missed but I don't know where the location is....

1. A Dresser in Curio's bedroom contain a purse. Where is Curio's Bedroom ? Is this the small bedroom at the base of the stairs leading to the Priest's Attic ?? I checked the dresser there but found nothing.

2. 2 Wine Bottles located at the "North Battlements Hatch" (by a "Ledge Crate"). I don't know where this is and it doesn't help not having a compass to differentiate North Battlement from the other 3 battlements.

Together, these would put me over 2700.

Loving the mission regardless.

LOOT

Playing on Expert, I couldn't end the mission because I only retrieved 2344 out of 2700 needed. I found a loot list and apparently I'm missing 175 in Jewels ( I have 0), but the list doesn't mention any gems at all. Also, 2 items mentioned I'm pretty sure I missed but I don't know where the location is....

1. A Dresser in Curio's bedroom contain a purse. Where is Curio's Bedroom ? Is this the small bedroom at the base of the stairs leading to the Priest's Attic ?? I checked the dresser there but found nothing.

2. 2 Wine Bottles located at the "North Battlements Hatch" (by a "Ledge Crate"). I don't know where this is and it doesn't help not having a compass to differentiate North Battlement from the other 3 battlements.

Together, these would put me over 2700.

Loving the mission regardless.

If I recall correctly...

1. You can't get in by the door. Go outside, head right, then turn around and look up. You should see a window, which you can break with an arrow, then rope up and enter the bedroom.

2. When you're on the zombie-invested floor of the tower, go for the partially open/broken window, go outside, then turn the corner to your right. Then you should just be able to arrow up to the platform with the wine bottles on it.

That should be where those two pieces are, though I could be wrong.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

If I recall correctly...

1. You can't get in by the door. Go outside, head right, then turn around and look up. You should see a window, which you can break with an arrow, then rope up and enter the bedroom.

2. When you're on the zombie-invested floor of the tower, go for the partially open/broken window, go outside, then turn the corner to your right. Then you should just be able to arrow up to the platform with the wine bottles on it.

That should be where those two pieces are, though I could be wrong.

You're right on the first one. That's a great location for loot. AND it was the 175 in jewels I was missing.

I'm not sure that you're right about the second one. The lootlist is generally linear and the "battlement" reference comes after the Priest's Dining room stuff ( cutlery, etc on the dining room table). So I'm thinking the Battlement Hatch is in the area after the Priest's Dining room but before the chapel.

Later.....

I found it but it's not where you suggested.

The Battlements are where I thought they were. Where the patrolling guard with the lantern circles around the open area, you can't enter any of the corner "battlements" because the doors are locked and can't be opened. But you can climb up to the second level and enter the unlocked battlement door that way. Just find which one is North, then go downstairs, past the locked door you couldn't open from the other side, then find the "hatch". A Crate is just outside the hatch and contain 2 wine bottles.

Thanks for your help. It would have been a long time before I figured them out.

Edited by CountMorillonite
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is a bug.

There is a priest on the attic stairs who doesn't move. He prays sometimes. I've tried to gas him. I've thrown shoes at him. I've tried to climb over him. All he does then is stand there and shout for help. I haven't tried to kill him but I think not killing him is one of the objectives. I can't tell these priests apart. Is this suppose to happen or is he suppose to be moving around so I can sneak passed him?

• 6 months later...

I don't know if this is a bug.

There is a priest on the attic stairs who doesn't move. He prays sometimes. I've tried to gas him. I've thrown shoes at him. I've tried to climb over him. All he does then is stand there and shout for help. I haven't tried to kill him but I think not killing him is one of the objectives. I can't tell these priests apart. Is this suppose to happen or is he suppose to be moving around so I can sneak passed him?

He was stuck at the stairs for me too. I went to the little bedroom below and broke the window. That made him move.

• 1 year later...

Heh, I can't even get out of my cell.

I get that you're supposed to

Spoiler

pick the skeleton's pocket for the key. But he never comes close enough for me to reach it. The key is on his left side but every time he walks from left to right with his left side turned to me, he's on the far side of the corridor. Am I supposed to make enough noise for him to search for me and lift his key that way? Because I've tried that too without any luck.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...