The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

That's great, Biker, but I don't personally have time to work with the textures right now...maybe Serps could look at them?

Well what do you know. :D Thanks for taking the time and effort to track this down!

(Embarrasing? :huh:)

ah yes, doh! they all need working on from the point of view that there is no sound interaction with the player...

That's only a matter of copy-pasting texture names into a material file, though, which requires nothing more complicated than a text editor. It'd take an hour at most.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well what do you know. :D Thanks for taking the time and effort to track this down! That's only a matter of copy-pasting texture names into a material file, though, which requires nothing more complicated than a text editor. It'd take an hour at most.

Tracking it down, sorry i dont follow lol

I have put in the missing sound info, stone, metal etc. But have another prob, said textures don't respond to TDM's ambient light.. so what arg do I need to put in the .mtr file for that..?

Ok converting from Q4 to D3 was a piece of piss - I opened the map in D3edit, saved it and then opened it in DR. I then has to make some changed to the material file (which is a new things for me, but I still couldn't figure how to get the textures to work correctly with the TDM ambient world light.. had to convert a lot of the patchwork to FS as per tdm guidelines, change the tessellation on some of the obvious Patches. For small map it looks the business and I may release it as a small map etc..

Atm Serps has the map so he has a chance to play with the textures, to see if they can be cleaned up and added to TDM.

To get the ambient stage working:

(Presuming you've got a Red Brick texture named "Red Brick with Stone Mortar")

Here is the basic material definition:

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar 

{ 

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick_ed 
diffusemap textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick 
bumpmap textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick_local 
specularmap textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick_s }

}

Then you will need to add this to the bottom:

// TDM Ambient Method Related 

{ 

if (global5 == 1) 
blend add 
map textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick 
scale 1, 1 
red global2 
green global3 
blue global4 
} 

{ 

if (global5 == 2) 
blend add 
program ambientEnvironment.vfp 
vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump 
vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1 
fragmentMap 1 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_local // Bump 
fragmentMap 2 textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick // Diffuse 
fragmentMap 3 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_s // Specular 

}

So the final result will look like:

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar 

{ 

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick_ed 
diffusemap textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick 
bumpmap textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick_local 
specularmap textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick_s }

}

// TDM Ambient Method Related 

{ 

if (global5 == 1) 
blend add 
map textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick 
scale 1, 1 
red global2 
green global3 
blue global4 
} 

{ 

if (global5 == 2) 
blend add 
program ambientEnvironment.vfp 
vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump 
vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1 
fragmentMap 1 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_local // Bump 
fragmentMap 2 textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick // Diffuse 
fragmentMap 3 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_s // Specular 

}

Wiki Link:

http://modetwo.net/d...c_Material_File

Just replace the textures/darkmod/custom/redbrick_with_mortar in the codes above with whatever the lines are for your original material.

If you don't have a specular map then replace:

fragmentMap 3 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_s

with

fragmentMap 3 _black

If you don't have a normal map then replace:

fragmentMap 1 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_local

with

fragmentMap 1 _flat

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Evening

Got another email from Yan the man...

Cool :) By the way if you guys have someone making textures you can look into CGTextures.com site and follow this rather outdated tutorial on how to make more textures that will be high-res:

http://www.methodonline.com/texture_tutorial.htm

Although this approach is more what current process looks like:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=373024

Best regards,

-Yan

• 3 weeks later...

Another Quake 4 map...

This one doesn't have loads of cool textures and some of the architecture is simple, but I figured I'd post the pics in case there are any "interested parties"...

Doom3world thread:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=20878

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=20878

Download

http://www.g0th.se/files/map_g0thdm3beta1.pk4

http://www.g0th.se/files/map_g0thdm3beta1.pk4

g0thdm3_01.jpg

g0thdm3_02.jpg

g0thdm3_03.jpg

g0thdm3_04.jpg

g0thdm3_05.jpg

Edited by nbohr1more

This is one level I don't think would work well with the mod. It is a very deathmatch design for people running at each other with guns (in a way Yan's map wasn't).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Might work:

Lots of patrols

Lots of archers

Eccentric king who has a high-profile prisoner about to be publicly executed in the court-yard...

Rescue mission?

(yes loads of work to get it into shape though...)

It looks extremely basic, just a few rounded corners here and there but mostly boring and blocky and super-simple, why "convert", just build something better from scratch in very little time

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I assume "smash and grab" means "smash and grab after asking the author if he's happy for his map assets to be used in another mod".

And I agree, it's a nice-looking deathmatch map, but I'm not sure the textures are vastly superior to the ones in TDM already. I guess individual mappers could use them if they wanted to introduce a bit more variety over the standard mod assets.

• 1 month later...

As I was playing Witcher 2 I keep seeing views that are inspirational to me as a mapper. I was thinking of making notes. It didn't occur to me until today to take screenshots and share them.

These first three are just low cottages which are of interest in themselves but I was mainly interested in the walkway and paths. Note the use of boardwalks. Most especially the greatly worn cobblestone sidewalks and how they blend into the main roadway. That was what inspired me last night but this morning I couldn't quite find the view and the light (daylight changes through the day like Oblivion) of the one that dropped my jaw last night.

Here's a puddle. We need to do a black decal surround to make it look right and probably a very highly detailed patch to avoid hard angles. Seems to me these would make good prefabs.

Finally, this is how to do shops. This is just an open-fronted room like a tiny barn with the doors wide open. The goods are just on shelves and an ordinary table is the shop counter. This looks so natural it feels like the mother of all modern shops. It would suffice for craftsmen too.

As I play through if I see anything special I'll try to remember to post it here.

Don't know if this is already included but stumbled across an extraordinary illustrated historical reference... http://www.historyofinformation.com/

Damn, I could get lost in that - but mostly it's just warming the cockles of my heart for The Lost City all over again! Would love to draw someone Papyrus style maps for a mission like that, heh.

You've got a point about the cobblestones, there - I found the sloped streets of Return To The City getting me paying attention to little things like that.

That reminds me, would the City have wagonways at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagonway

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

As I was playing Witcher 2 I keep seeing views that are inspirational to me as a mapper. I was thinking of making notes. It didn't occur to me until today to take screenshots and share them.

These first three are just low cottages which are of interest in themselves but I was mainly interested in the walkway and paths. Note the use of boardwalks. Most especially the greatly worn cobblestone sidewalks and how they blend into the main roadway. That was what inspired me last night but this morning I couldn't quite find the view and the light (daylight changes through the day like Oblivion) of the one that dropped my jaw last night.

Here's a puddle. We need to do a black decal surround to make it look right and probably a very highly detailed patch to avoid hard angles. Seems to me these would make good prefabs.

Finally, this is how to do shops. This is just an open-fronted room like a tiny barn with the doors wide open. The goods are just on shelves and an ordinary table is the shop counter. This looks so natural it feels like the mother of all modern shops. It would suffice for craftsmen too.

As I play through if I see anything special I'll try to remember to post it here.

looks good

not very Thief-like,but it be awesome too see those in TDM

I'm pretty sure it could be redone 1in1,but I wonder how much fps it will show in TDM ? 5 ? 10 ?

Proceed with caution!

It really is a beautiful game isn't it? Funny thing I took a bunch of screens to show to but never got around to it.

Take a close look at that chest, seem anything familiar? lol. It was obviously based on the same chest picture Spring posted that I based our metal chest on. (Ironically I think my metal chest is one of my better objects while theirs is one of their worst).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest