The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

I didn't really see anything there we don't have except for the cylindircial trap/cage.

Piles of old broken boards, old, broken ladders, old crates with gaps between the boards...we don't have much like that. Most of our plank models look too new, even the scrap ones. It's always been one of our weak spots. I'm going to spend some time addressing that today.

ROTFL....

You laugh, but I wonder why the ban hasn't happened yet. Every other week we have to endure another troll joke post or threat hijacking. Even filtering out the posts and adblocking the avatar pics doesn't help if you are showered with status updates etc. And people never stop responding, so making the problem worse.

Anyway, the following post will have some REAL inspirational photos:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Here we go:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

And some more:

And the last one. This here is an old apple mill - the vertical bar behind the round mill stone has a rectangular hole, where you can put a horizontal "driver" bar through. If you push that bar (by walking around the center), the stone turns and starts to roll around in a small circle, crushing whatever is put into the stone bowl.

You laugh, but I wonder why the ban hasn't happened yet. Every other week we have to endure another troll joke post or threat hijacking. Even filtering out the posts and adblocking the avatar pics doesn't help if you are showered with status updates etc. And people never stop responding, so making the problem worse.

Anyway, the following post will have some REAL inspirational photos:

you're boring

Proceed with caution!

I can easily post more pics from my locality - almost every village here has a core that goes back to 12xx .. 14xx. The upper church here was built 12something. You got Thiefesque backgrounds on every corner and no pony in sight.

I can easily post more pics from my locality - almost every village here has a core that goes back to 12xx .. 14xx. The upper church here was built 12something. You got Thiefesque backgrounds on every corner and no pony in sight.

When you're there once, why not make some textures too forthwith? ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

When you're there once, why not make some textures too forthwith? ;)

+1!!! :ph34r:

Do you want a pony with that, too? *sigh*

There are multiple reasons:

* photo sourcing textures is hard in that you need to shoot good photos - if I am just hiking, I don't want to carry a tripod, my big DSLR and spent 10 minutes on each house just to capture photos for textures. Also, you need cloudy whether to get the light even and nice. Sunny weather means shadows and uneven, stark light.

* I am not a texture artist, even with a good photo I have no idea how to make a texture. Yes, I have tried. No it didn't work - took me weeks and somebody else had to finish it. (it is the texture with the big blue stones IIRC)

* my hands are 120% full with programming

Sometimes I just want to walk around, and snap quick snaps with my mobile phone (which is actually quite good when the light is bright - and I don't even have the latest model. I think it spells doom for the compact point&shoot cameras as the mobile phone cameras get better. But I digres)

However, having said that, I have sometimes taken photos for potential textures. I can easily post them here if that is what people want, then somebody can see if they can convert them to textures.