The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Heh, sorry - I did not want to stress you :blush:

I could see what I can do if you PM me a download link of your potential textures when I am finished with my map or if I need a break from mapping :)

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Here are a bunch more snapshots. You can see I tried to get a few closeups for textures, but they'd need to be corrected first. Note this are low-quality previews. If you want the full resolution, just ask:

And yes, in most parts of Central Europe it is impossible to step outside and not get the immidiate urge to go back inside and fire up DR and do some serious mapping. Usually, tho, I invest a lot of time and never finish a map, tho :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Cool keys! And is that a hobbit door?? :)

LOL No it is actually a well behind it. The water level is about 1m below the bottom of the door. I thought that would make a cool "second entrance" to a mission.

The keys are actually original keys from the medivial times from Burg Eltz (castle Eltz - one of the few that were never conquered or destroyed). I have tons of photos from that castle, sadly, my map was never finished beyond the first outside area - it had too many technical problems.

Where the hell did that come from??? :blink:

edit: Ah, read the thread...very cool, though way too high poly for our use (16K).

Surely worth at least letting him know there's a game that would benefit from a lowpoly version, if he's going to all that work on it... Seems he does lowpoly work for a living, so on the one hand he doesn't want to do it for his hobby but on the other he knows how to do it well. Maybe someone can suggest it when he's done, when he's putting it on the shelf and looking at it longingly, sitting there getting lonely. Now he's thinking "Wouldn't he be so much happier out in the streets bashing in the heads of thieves like a respectable medieval religious zealot?"

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Surely worth at least letting him know there's a game that would benefit from a lowpoly version

Even if he gave us a lowpoly version, the whole thing would still have to be rigged and altered to fit our skeleton. The style is also noticeably different than the other Builders, so we wouldn't be able to use him as is. Take away the gear symbol and he could easily be a generic elite guard though.

I wouldn't turn away models of that quality if someone wanted to approach him, though (even just the head would be awesome).

You could even say the gear is a mark of some sorts of Builder-manufactured armour. It is definitely a great model, although different from TDM's Builder characters.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The ornamental fabric details are not really practical from a real-time game perspective. Is "Swizzle" going to give all those bones, physics, (etc)?

Seems wasteful but I suppose if it's for higher target hardware then it's alright (though I just looked at Assassin's Creed and I think that this is way over that game's poly budget?

... no Xbox 360 for this one...).

I'd rather more resources be spent on environments than characters if I had my druthers...

Why not reserve that physics work for more fun stuff like environmental destruction and manipulation?

Cool showpiece I guess.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Lol, only a matter of time.

I have been watching him develop the character the whole time, he's been doing stuff for TF2 for awhile too.

But I had reservations about asking him. He's a pretty cool guy so he might be OK to add it. But the style is a bit 'out there'. That's actually not even the best pic, he now has a helmet and a cool hammer icon 'beauty pageant ribbon' thing going.

But the sleeves and pants are quite fancy. I even had a slight thought at one point when I almost asked if he'd just give him some regular pants/sleeves. But I figured asking to use it would be asking a lot, asking him to remodel...

Not sure if he's aware of TDM or not.

---------------------------

technically I think you could just use one extra 'arm/leg' bone per limb, and have it set to a loose jiggle and use that for the fabric and it would look flowy enough.

But without that it would be very rigid/odd.

And that makes him use a new rig. It would be a regular rig base, and theoretically it could work with existing anims. Not sure how well jiggle bones work in Doom3, might require new anims.

Could turn into a lot of work. It's impressive work no doubt, I just don't know how well it would work for us. It would need baked down too, definitely way too many tris for game. (in fact the 'ribbons' could just be baked onto a pillowy sleeve and it would look more pleated than ribbony which is a crit that I gave him awhile back. He was going for a bit more flair though and actually showed me a pic of an old time sketch just like that)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

That's actually not even the best pic, he now has a helmet and a cool hammer icon 'beauty pageant ribbon' thing going.

Thats impressive modeling for sure, it just feels "right" (proportions, pose), thats always the greatest quality. Though by looking at the post, this one is actually the stage I like the most, IMHO too much details took the focus from the face of the character, and the armor got less coherent (this is not to say it was a bad evolution per se, as game models need to be quite exotic to be easily recognisable).

It would definetly be awesome if one of you team members could ask him if hes interested in donating the low poly version, this is a very nice model indeed...

That wouldn't look out of place in a movie.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah, its pretty neat. The stones might have been made using noise... Never really tried it, but I do have a tutorial where the guys does that through the render, not modelling it per se. But since this is for sale, my guess is that it is actual geometry, not a render trick.

Just a question, whatever happened to this guy, I've never seen him in any mission so far and I cant seem to find him in DR? I really like that model (the brown priest)...

builders.jpg

That guy is an "inquisitor", I believe. Dunno where he is, but 1.08 has a new Builder model which may or may not be this one:

New Builder Acolyte character added (Springheel)