The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

@Dema, what is you do that you have been to all theses places..?

International law (int'l environmental law to be more precise) ... So, yeah, certain places like Geneva & NYC (the UN for both), Wash DC, etc... are just part of the game, and endless conferences. The travel is cool, but I'm still on the "public" (i.e., underpaid) side of law, as opposed to some of my friends doing corporate law on the private side and making I don't know how much money lol. So I don't know how glamorous it is, but I think the kind of law I do is much more interesting than mindless corporate law (IMO).

Edit: I also went to NYU, so that explains New York too. As for Japan, before I went to law school I taught English in Korea & Japan.

I think it might a little explain why I'm more connected on the forums than usual, since I'm moving around and forums allow me to keep connected to a community even when I move to other places.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

To be fair, IIRC the monasteries were collapsing and it was part of the preservation effort... I guess, I don't know. I always found it a little odd too. OTOH people *love* the cloisters there, like a kind of deep reverence. So it's not like people aren't unappreciative. And at this point it's a cultural fixture of the city, sort of like the Italian Mona Lisa is a fixture of Paris now.

But surrounding the cloisters, there's a neighborhood where all the apartments and buildings have to be in a medieval style, which look cool for some (on one side) and pathetic for others (the other side; basically normal apartments with a castle-top), and the little enclosed square on the upper west side is a legit little medieval village. Granted they're the last thing from authentic, but that doesn't mean they can't be respectable fodder for inspiration.

Do you believe in global warning demagogue?

That's not going to throw the thread OT haha. But to answer your question, of course, but my opinion on the science doesn't matter. Good regulatory law is about connecting good science to good policy, not being political about the science (doing the scientists work for them). In this case, climate scientists have a near consensus on the basic elements of global warming and release an official consensus report every few years, which is remarkable for any environmental problem... Acid rain & ozone depletion don't get as much scientific scrutiny as climate change gets, although people don't worry about their reality (or I should say "because" people don't worry about it). (There are of course individual scientists that like to be contrarian, but their work is widely panned for being bad science, not because of their politics but because they make mistakes undergrads should know better.) The "real" debate has always been about agreeing on & paying for the best policy, which is legitimately hard enough (it's a very evil form of the free-rider problem, collective action problem, & "tragedy of the commons" in game theory) without politicians arguing about "made up" problems that aren't actually a debate among scientists themselves.

Edit: If you actually want to talk about it more, I'd recommend you start a thread in the Off Topic forum for it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Found on Tumblr: a bridge in Toscana, Italy. Look at the construction, the moss, the creeping vines on it, the forest environment... wonderful.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The hanging corpses are bit too much tough. No one would hang people/corpses within the city limits / in a place like this.

Displaying the corpses of criminals was standard practice in medieval cities. Look up the history of London Bridge.

Bikerdude: go ahead if you wish to make it. I am fully occupied with my main project.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Displaying the corpses of criminals was standard practice in medieval cities. Look up the history of London Bridge.

Some comments on that:

1) There is no medieval standard.

2) I can only speak about continental europe, but corpses where hardly ever displayed within the cities.

Sometime the heads of more prominent executed were displayed at the gates (or in your case a bridge),

but please keep in mind that that was a custom introduced in rather late medieval or even early modern times.

Corpses were displayed at the execution sites, which usually lay outside the cities, often in an elevated position, so it could be seen

from the road(s) leading to the city, telling travelers :"Behave!"

Sorry for the wiseacring (is that even a word??), but clichées about the "dark medieval times" bug me sometimes !

Edited by Chiron

They should take those silly corpses and put them behind and in front of the market stands.

And infact of the nice constructed, but kinda consistent buildings, they could even get rid of these crappy constructions and place a nice stone wall or flowerbeds (with the same colour range as the rest of the picture of course).

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager