The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

All the more since I live in the city, a few blocks from that place. ;)

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Which faculty? :D I studied at the Faculty of Economics between 1999 and 2004, then earned my doctorate in 2009... and am working at the academic institute today. It's a small world.

WRT the Nick Court, it has been abandoned ever since I have been living in the city (that's 1999). If we consider that there is a multi-level cellar system under the historical city centre, going back to the Gothic period and with the ancient Christian tombs, the Romans, we could easily conclude there is a good reason for its abandonment beyond the incompetence of the city government, and something has been lurking down there, waiting... ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Check out this small island map from Mapcore (via the Radiator Blog), especially the more recent screenshots. A beautifully crafted, interesting bucolic environment based on an Arnold Böcklin painting.

Ancient roman civilization under Pécs "..and slowly..and surely they drew their plans against us.." :D

Architecture by the way. Since 2008.

Most of those deep cellars have been reinforced and probably raked clean, some have been filled with foams and other filler materials as they've caused collapses...:/ not sure if any authentic ones are open to public.

Edited by _Atti_

Some of them are still intact, and there are occasional guided tours. I did a double take when I learned that not only does the house where I live have a cellar, but it has a cellar below the cellar, and there are stairs going down there beyond a walled-up opening. There is also a collapsed/filled one below my garden. Which only begs the question of "who is currently using them and for what purposes". :ph34r:

[edit]Also, the Museum of Coal Mining is situated in a multi-level cellar system, which may be the most accessible way to visit the system. If I recall correctly, it encompasses three levels below the streets.[/edit]

Edited by Melan

I learned that not only does the house where I live have a cellar, but it has a cellar below the cellar, and there are stairs going down there beyond a walled-up opening. There is also a collapsed/filled one below my garden. Which only begs the question of "who is currently using them and for what purposes".

Dude you have to get down there and see what it looks like! take pictures please :-)

I would have to get through a brick wall for that. :D Besides, there has been enough FM action in my backyard already.

208.jpg

Look familiar? ;)

789px-FM_T2_Disorientation_Melan_screenshot209.jpg

Isn't the myth of the Isle of the Dead linked to the legends of the western sea and Ogygia ?

(My Atlantis obsession is acting-up again...)

(Incidentally, the Etruscans are genetically linked to Corfu (one of the candidate areas that inspired the painting) and the legend of the Amazons says

their people had dominion over Corfu and Tyrrhenia and parts of Anatolia south of the Black Sea...)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 4 weeks later...

Read somewhere that more historical studies could be nice, saw that project gutemberg has Vitrivius' Ten Books of Architecture in there, thought people could find some of the pics in there to be interesting. The text is pretty boring and descriptive, but the images are nice and rigorous, some people try their hand at classical architecture around here from time to time, maybe a more accurate reference would help, you'll get the proportions, the column orders and all the fun stuff - http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20239/20239-h/29239-h.htm

022.jpg

I would have to get through a brick wall for that. :D Besides, there has been enough FM action in my backyard already.

208.jpg

Look familiar? ;)

789px-FM_T2_Disorientation_Melan_screenshot209.jpg

I loved playing that mission!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Already posted that in the city picture reference thread, but it might have gotten lost there:

Photo gallery from Schloss Bürresheim: http://www.bloodgate.com/galleries/various.html

It has a very nice entrance, a windy, twisted, dark, gloomy passage that emerges in the middle of the castle, some very nice intereiours, and an old, derelict part which is broken down and no longer used. Plus the "Wohntum" (living tower), which in old times was only accessible by ladder and could house a family for months. All very TDM-FM-like and makes one itchy to do some mapping.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

All very TDM-FM-like and makes one itchy to do some mapping.

Absolutely. I had to restrain myself with effort not to instantly fire up DR and start working: no time to map.

Gorgeous pictures, thanks!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Absolutely. I had to restrain myself with effort not to instantly fire up DR and start working: no time to map.

Gorgeous pictures, thanks!

I forgot to mention the best parts: There is a outside-toilet-droptower, with a little access door (picture #11 I believe), making for another steamy entrance. And also, the windy passage that goes from outside to inside has two slit-windows on one end of the passage, peeking through them you can see some burial chamber. I felt sooo close to being inside an actual FM, it was a tremendous feeling. Picture #49 and #50 are photographed through the slit window. There is actually no visible access - just like it would be in an FM.

The whole place feels magical - if someone needs more pictures, I can easily drive over and do more. They also have a scale model of the entire site outside and since I didn't take the tour, I have no inside pictures, but I gues that could all be obtained.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Haha, they even have our lamp .

http://www.bloodgate...46_p1010349.jpg

And notice its shadow on the ceiling :)

(The back wall has the two slit windows to the crypt, btw)

And notice its shadow on the ceiling

Hmm Ive been meaning to ask for a light shader of this type to go with all our square lamp models! Tels, dont suppose you could knock a new light shader and bung it in 1.08 ...? (I would do it myself but dont have a clue or the time to learn atm)

Hmm Ive been meaning to ask for a light shader of this type to go with all out square lamp models! Tels, dont suppose you could knock a new light shader...? (I would do it myself but dont have a clue or the time to learn atm)

AFAIK it is just a simple texture with the "shadow" painted on in black&white. However, the real issue is that the shadow projection is done top-to-bottom, which means the shaow will be at the top of the ceiling, and at the floor. With the candles this was rejected, because it made it possible to hide yourself in a candle that you could hold over your head.

I don't remember if we ever used that type of shadow in the standing oil lamps, tho. Me thinks we removed it there as well, because while there the shadow at the bottom was right, it also cast a shadow at the ceiling, which is not right (the oil lamps are open at the top).

So, for such a square lantern it *might* work better, but I believe due to the way the light falls and the wall reflect it, that the lamp wouldn't really have a shadow underneath it (the floor is much farther away than the ceiling), but the way the engine works is that the shadow would be the same. Did I explain this properly?

Here is a quick mockup. The shadow might have to be rotated 45° and it might be a lot more soft, or harder or stronger, but you get the idea.

Just use it instead of "biground1" as light texture.

It won't look correct on the floor, tho.