The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Have you guys seen this article from Demagogue:

http://wiki.thedarkm...and_Plot_Design

Now this is some serious inspiration, and food for thought.

That article might need some serious summarizing. I am pretty sure it is very good, but I don't think I can muster the strength to read it all and follow it :) A few images might help tremendously making the material accessible.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I hate it when I post stuff just before it tips over to the next page, so the post I made is hidden etc...

Spotted Skacky cranking out some cracking visuals on T2....

YUjVt.jpg

GKkmJ.jpg

qQWic.jpg

nDpyT.jpg

Man we could do with this guy making some TDM mission's for us. (he did have a brief flurry with the Whiterose hotel that Springs is now working on), but man I love city missions like this. That said these shots are from a T2 mission in beta atm and should be released very soon ;-D

Or how about these ones from Purgator...

screenshot32bm.png

screenshot39h.png

or some from Soul tear...

screenshot5.jpg

123.jpg

2676989.jpg

screenshot53.jpg

This one:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5599/screenshot39h.png

is very cool. I am gonna save that for reference for later :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Have you guys seen this article from Demagogue:

Now this is some serious inspiration, and food for thought.

Thanks. I like to write on it every so often, and it still has incomplete sections. I feel happy writing & thinking about it.

I did think about making a (separate) summary version too when I finish, but I wanted to figure out everything I needed to say to know what to boil down. And yes, I did have some ideas for some graphical aids, simple plot diagrams, & screenshots of ideas taken from FMs too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Here's what has been inspiring me lately using Google Images:

Bath, England:

Bath41.jpg

San Gimignano, Italy:

San%20Gimignano%20Birdsview%20BR.jpg

And finally Cologne Cathedral in Germany:

3665638550_b080bd9906.jpg

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

It looks like a weekend in Bath with my camera is due.

Is it waterproof? :ph34r:

Hey, it looks like they modeled that Italian town after the one in Assassin's Creed!

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it. I stumbled across it when I searched for "medieval skyscrapers". The towns nickname is the Medieval Manhattan.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was rewatching The Crucible yesterday and thought some of the interior shots were quite well captured, and even though it's a slightly simplified set design, it is still very interesting to see how they organized the spaces, and specially the structural layout of the buildings, the color palette and the proportions:

thecrucible1996dvdriph2.jpg

Some more interiors:

Edited by RPGista

• 2 weeks later...

Musical inspiration.....

I'm thinking of making a thief-style machinema video of this song. It's what inspired me to get back into game development.

Taurus philosophy: