The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

@Biker, do you have permission from him to bring these into TDM?

If you mean the textures? I found a reply I sent to Clearing over on ttlg rergarding the same question.

Regarding the texture pack that Sliptip gave me, he hasen't released this to the public.

I am currently working on the pack to make the textures usable in TDM, and laslt as most of the texture came from CGtextures, they don't allow texture derived from thier website to be distributed in a pack on by themselves, they have to come with map or game. This is why I have created a demo map with the first load of textures.

And I found the thread in relation to these textures -

- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14162-moar-textures/page__p__296951__hl__+texture%20+pack__fromsearch__1#entry296951

But here is the link to my textures folder, as well as the Sliptip demo map, you'll find Melan's mega (400MB) texture pack and the WS:ITN map/pack on my skydrive -

- download link

That FM has been in the making for a long time.

I remember being floored by those textures the first time I saw them.

I imagine they may need some twigging for us to use.

One thing the Dark engine still has going for it is that nice soft lighting baked in. I'm still happy we have unified lighting, but it still makes an impression.

Edit: Ask him for the textures from the Ashen Age too, while you're at it. Basically any custom textures he's used (realistic, not the cartoon ones).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Architecture which would be pointed out as blatantly unrealistic if I recreated it in a mission:

(The Zuckerhut House in Hildesheim)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, it looks weird.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• wrt sliptip's textures, I see they've been uploaded to SVN. Does that mean the normal/specular work is finished?
  • And low_brick_wall_old_ed is missing. Didn't make the cut?

• Yes all the spculars are in there, all I did a few days ago was redo all the normals via Melan's advice.
  • Its in the pack, I just downloaded and checked.

• Yes all the spculars are in there, all I did a few days ago was redo all the normals via Melan's advice.
  • Its in the pack, I just downloaded and checked.

In the pack, yes, but it hasn't been checked into SVN like its companions have.

Sliptip's stuff looks utterly stunning. Can't help wondering if the AI will look horribly clunky in comparison but maybe someone's working on that too

I've already updated the commoner and beggar models/textures, along with the new heads that definitely look a step up from the old ones. There are a lot more AI models that could be improved though...assuming I'm not totally burned out after the next update, my plan was to start a big update on them.

Heh, I think simplenoob is talking about the AI in T2, since he's talking about sliptip's FM... The textures and soft lighting are pretty great and stand up even by modern standards, but those clunky AI are atrocious in comparison....

That reminds me of a post ZB made just today though. T2's Dark Engine could always handle much higher poly AI models. It's just people haven't made them. (But they did for SS2.)

Our AI models, on the other hand, are in much better hands and fit very well with everything else.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Heh, I think simplenoob is talking about the AI in T2, since he's talking about sliptip's FM..

Whoops. :)